Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Game 6 thoughts

Default Game 6 thoughts

The good

THE DEFENSE Don't need to go into detail we all know what they did.

THE FREAKING LOUDEST CROWD EVER. They made an impact in the game it was clear as day. Great to see that at arrowhead again

THE BAD
    The offense from top to bottom had a bad game. Alex Smith clearly let the offensive line struggles get in his head and as a QB you can't do that. The WRs most the game weren't getting open and the O line stunk most the game.

The defense the one thing that is bad there is they continue to have trouble with Qbs that can run. They have to improve on that but that's about the only thing you can say they have to work on
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It's leaning more towards WR's and TE's. The problem is that nobody was getting open. Hemingway is not being used in the slot often enough. I thought that he would after his TD catch in week one, but he's disappeared since then.

I do think the O-Line could be a bit better, but they weren't bad in the last 3 QTR's of yesterdays game.

Sorry, but it doesn't look like Nicks is going anywhere.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-being-shopped

Maybe Nicks might be available in FA, but the Chiefs need a WR that has game-breaking speed and can get open and catch the ball. We may have to wait for next year.
    Had not seen that yet Darn guess that's that then
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Had not seen that yet Darn guess that's that then
    Not necessarily. Teams often say "so-and-so isn't going anywhere" the day before so-and-so is out the door. The Giants aren't going to say "our season is over. We might as well get rid of Nicks." That would lower his perceived value and send other very bad messages.

You usually don't see a lot of movement right before the trade deadline in the NFL, unlike some other sports. That's because most teams looking to deal somebody want more than they are worth. They are hoping just one team will be desperate enough for that one piece that they will be willing to over pay for it. The Chiefs with their TE situation and the Bears with their DEs might be good candidates for making a deal with the right teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    ... I have a feeling that Reid and Dorsey are trying to build a 10 year dynasty rather than a one hit wonder.

Before the season started I would have agreed with you one hundred percent and I'm sure that is what their strategy is ... or was. But if we go to 7-0, 8-0, maybe 11-2 or so, you have to start thinking about "what can we do to win it all this year?" It all comes down to cost vs. value. Can you get that missing piece without crippling your team for years to come like Oakland did when they overpaid for Carson Palmer, and will that piece be enough to get you over the top?

My guess is that Dorsey and Reid won't do anything crazy this year. They should be happy just to have a winning record and make the playoffs. We can build on that next year. But as that ring gets closer and closer to going on your finger you start to consider other options. It's very hard to win a Super Bowl. Do you pass up that chance this year just so you can be "a contender" in the years to come? Winning a Super Bowl is the ultimate goal after all and the future holds no guarantees. Players get hurt, Free Agents decide to go to other teams and with the salary cap you may not be able to keep everyone you want to keep.

You never know what could happen ...
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-15-2013 at 02:08 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Guys, I still think a big part of the problem is Alex Smith. I have made no bones about the fact that I do not think Smith is the man to lead this team. If he better than Cassel? Not on paper he is not, not even close, they are just about even in all stats through their career. If the best thing you can say about your starting quarterback is that he is a game manager, then you are in trouble.

I continually see the same kinds of things I saw with Cassel, failure to see the open man on routes. The offensive line is not doing well though, Smith has already been sacked 16 times this season. But that is not all of the story.

Alex is nearly the same exact player in terms of numbers. Look at their career numbers and tell me I am lying. Smith is a serviceable QB, the same as Cassel was. If we were losing games with the numbers that Smith has been putting up, you guys would be calling for his head right now.

I hear a lot about how Smith does not turn over the ball. I guess that is to mean that Cassel did. Well interestingly enough, Cassel was never that bad about throwing interceptions.

Anyway, I am just not drinking the Smith KoolAid. I think people who saw him in action in San Francisco and followed his career see what I see.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Guys, I still think a big part of the problem is Alex Smith. I have made no bones about the fact that I do not think Smith is the man to lead this team. If he better than Cassel? Not on paper he is not, not even close, they are just about even in all stats through their career. If the best thing you can say about your starting quarterback is that he is a game manager, then you are in trouble.

I continually see the same kinds of things I saw with Cassel, failure to see the open man on routes. The offensive line is not doing well though, Smith has already been sacked 16 times this season. But that is not all of the story.

Alex is nearly the same exact player in terms of numbers. Look at their career numbers and tell me I am lying. Smith is a serviceable QB, the same as Cassel was. If we were losing games with the numbers that Smith has been putting up, you guys would be calling for his head right now.

I hear a lot about how Smith does not turn over the ball. I guess that is to mean that Cassel did. Well interestingly enough, Cassel was never that bad about throwing interceptions.

Anyway, I am just not drinking the Smith KoolAid. I think people who saw him in action in San Francisco and followed his career see what I see.
    The problem with the offense isn't Smith. It's not the O line. It's not the WRs.

It's the combination of the 3. They are not putting each other in a good position . The o line and the Wrs are not helping Smith by either not blocking or not getting open. Smith is hurting them by missing throws. They have only had 6 games together so they are still geling. The 2nd half of the season to me is going to be the tell of Smith. He looked 100% HORRIBLE Sunday. If he's looking like that at the end of the season then I would be very worried.

The Cassel and Smith thing I agree Cassel was not as bad at turning the ball over as some think. But here has been the difference to me so far. When Cassel did turn the ball over they were often the killers. They were the ones the sealed the deal. So far Smith at the end of halfs or games has been FAR different. It's been amazing how at the end of halfs every time including this past Sunday they have driven down the Field to tie up the game when they've been behind. Or at the End of the games Drive down the field when the D had there 1 bad part of the season in the 3rd against the titians get the lead back then drive back down the field to put the game away. So far that stands out as the difference to me. Smith has closed the deal Cassel didn't. That's a big difference.

I went into the season thinking I would give both Smith and Fisher the two most talked about guys 8 games. Smith to get use to his new WRS and system. Fisher to get use to the NFL. So far both have left a lot to be desired they have 2 more games before I start to push the panic button. But after the game against Oakland I now am making sure I know where the Panic button is
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

[Is] he better than Cassel? Not on paper he is not, not even close, they are just about even in all stats through their career.
    I can't believe I just read that. I had to go back and read it it again because I was certain I misread it the first time. Let's look at some paper:Last year. Matt Cassel: 9 games, 6 TDs, 12 INTs, Passer rating--66.7_________Alex Smith: 10 games, 13 TDs, 5 INTs, Passer rating--104.1Who is better? Is it even close?Last 3 seasons: Matt Cassel: 20 games, 19 TDs, 23 INTs, Record as starter: 6-14______________Alex Smith: 32 games, 37 TDs, 13 INTs, Record as starter: 26-5-1Who's better? Is it even close
    Alex is nearly the same exact player in terms of numbers. Look at their career numbers and tell me I am lying....
    You are LYING! Why on earth would you use career numbers to compare the two? Smith sucked his first 3 years and Cassel was a back-up QB. Neither player is the same as they were when they entered the NFL together in 2005. This isn't 2005 or 2009. It's 2013. What matters is how good they are now. And Smith is a much, much better QB than Cassel is now.You are not still reading at a 3rd grade level, are you? So it would be ridiculous to judge your reading comprehension today based on how well you read in 3rd and 4th grade. Why would you do that to a quarterback?
    I don't know what you are drinking but stop it. It might be laced with arsenic! Who are these people that see what you see? I don't know any of them. Go look at a 49ers forum and see how many people wish they had Smith back. And Cassel couldn't even beat out Christian Ponder for a starting job, but ponder was SO bad they finally gave him a shot. He played one decent game against the hapless Steelers, then threw 1 td and 2 ints against the Panthers. Minnesota fans are already clamoring for Josh Freeman to start and he couldn't win a single game this year in Tampa Bay.Smith and Cassel are the same Quarterback? No, they're not. And it's not even close.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-16-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I can't believe I just read that. I had to go back and read it it again because I was certain I misread it the first time. Let's look at some paper:Last year. Matt Cassel: 9 games, 6 TDs, 12 INTs, Passer rating--66.7_________Alex Smith: 10 games, 13 TDs, 5 INTs, Passer rating--104.1Who is better? Is it even close?Last 3 seasons: Matt Cassel: 20 games, 19 TDs, 23 INTs, Record as starter: 6-14______________Alex Smith: 32 games, 37 TDs, 13 INTs, Record as starter: 26-5-1Who's better? Is it even closeYou are LYING! Why on earth would you use career numbers to compare the two? Smith sucked his first 3 years and Cassel was a back-up QB. Neither player is the same as they were when they entered the NFL together in 2005. This isn't 2005 or 2009. It's 2013. What matters is how good they are now. And Smith is a much, much better QB than Cassel is now.You are not still reading at a 3rd grade level, are you? So it would be ridiculous to judge your reading comprehension today based on how well you read in 3rd and 4th grade. Why would you do that to a quarterback?I don't know what you are drinking but stop it. It might be laced with arsenic! Who are these people that see what you see? I don't know any of them. Go look at a 49ers forum and see how many people wish they had Smith back. And Cassel couldn't even beat out Christian Ponder for a starting job, but ponder was SO bad they finally gave him a shot. He played one decent game against the hapless Steelers, then threw 1 td and 2 ints against the Panthers. Minnesota fans are already clamoring for Josh Freeman to start and he couldn't win a single game this year in Tampa Bay.Smith and Cassel are the same Quarterback? No, they're not. And it's not even close.
    LOL. I had the same exact reaction to Hayvern's post. That post was really over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I can't believe I just read that. I had to go back and read it it again because I was certain I misread it the first time. Let's look at some paper:Last year. Matt Cassel: 9 games, 6 TDs, 12 INTs, Passer rating--66.7_________Alex Smith: 10 games, 13 TDs, 5 INTs, Passer rating--104.1Who is better? Is it even close?Last 3 seasons: Matt Cassel: 20 games, 19 TDs, 23 INTs, Record as starter: 6-14______________Alex Smith: 32 games, 37 TDs, 13 INTs, Record as starter: 26-5-1Who's better? Is it even closeYou are LYING! Why on earth would you use career numbers to compare the two? Smith sucked his first 3 years and Cassel was a back-up QB. Neither player is the same as they were when they entered the NFL together in 2005. This isn't 2005 or 2009. It's 2013. What matters is how good they are now. And Smith is a much, much better QB than Cassel is now.You are not still reading at a 3rd grade level, are you? So it would be ridiculous to judge your reading comprehension today based on how well you read in 3rd and 4th grade. Why would you do that to a quarterback?I don't know what you are drinking but stop it. It might be laced with arsenic! Who are these people that see what you see? I don't know any of them. Go look at a 49ers forum and see how many people wish they had Smith back. And Cassel couldn't even beat out Christian Ponder for a starting job, but ponder was SO bad they finally gave him a shot. He played one decent game against the hapless Steelers, then threw 1 td and 2 ints against the Panthers. Minnesota fans are already clamoring for Josh Freeman to start and he couldn't win a single game this year in Tampa Bay.Smith and Cassel are the same Quarterback? No, they're not. And it's not even close.
    Roy I really don't mean to single you out here I've seen others do it and I think I've done it myself before on here but I don't think you can say someone is lying when giving there opinion or there outlook. I don't think hayvern lied at all. He has a different outlook. He and many others think you can compare stats to compare players. That's there outlook and they have every right to it.

I of course disagree with the outlook I think you have to look at the situation as a whole. Like you. You brought out a number of good points and I will add one more that I've said before. Show me one QB in the history of the NFL that would chose there first head coach to be Mike Nolan over Bill Beilcheck. You won't find one.

But because Hayvern has that outlook doesn't mean he is lying. I think that's something that falls into the opinion one has
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    LOL. I had the same exact reaction to Hayvern's post. That post was really over the top.
    Oh god yes I was fired up reading it and about to start posting and read TopekaRoy's post and just laughed and gave thumbs up...sometimes people just get diarrhea of the month on a keyboard I guess...

Again, I stand by my comparison, I have not swallowed the Koolaid on Smith. He is missing receivers that are open, he is getting happy feet, he overthrows any pass that is over 20 yards and his ball placement on shorter passes is problematic at best. There are others out there that see these things, why do you think that the Chiefs still do not get any respect that you guys wish we would? The offense is not putting up the numbers we should be.

It is always the offensive line. I have been on the offensive line thing for years, and yes, we still have issues with the line, no doubt about it, but your quarterback has a part in that as well does he not?

You guys help to make my position for me. You don't want to compare careers eh? When and if we see Cassel play more games, then it will become more relevant to compare today's numbers, but you really cannot compare this season. You can compare last season if you like and yes, Smith had a much better season last year, but then again, let's look at our coaching situation last year for Cassel and put that into perspective.

Additionally, if Smith was having such a great season last year, then what happened with him and his job at San Francisco last year? He lost his job last year after the injury, that has to be put into the mix as well.

Here is what my real position is for you guys and I think you need to look at yourselves long and hard. If you are going to be all excited about Smith and you think you have your QOF, then you should re-evaluate your opinion on Cassel because Cassel was not that bad in comparison. Anyway you cut it, those two guys are not night and day between each other.

To me, neither of these guys are the quarterback we need. In two years, I predict we will be just like Houston when Matt Shaub went down this last week. We have already been there when Cassel went down so we are clearly not above it. I hope I am wrong, but we have an average quarterback with an above average defense to keep him in the game.

Eh, I opened the door to him calling me a liar in my post. He took the opportunity to take me up on that.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast