Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: week7 chiefs texans

Default week7 chiefs texans

so you think we gonna cover the spread?

I agree that Reid is probably well aware of the Texans potential and is probably sweating this one. I think he will have the team well prepared. I think it is probably more the fans that are looking past this game more so than the staff or players.

I fully expect a heavy does of the Texans running the ball as much as they can, and then roll out plays allowing Keenum to run for the first down or dump it off.

Their defense is pretty dang good too, so I don't see much from our offense and just hope we don't turn it over and hope theirs does.

We will need to be loud and force their offense to make mistakes pushing them back to put them in 3rd and long situations where our defense strives. If the Texans can run on us, it will be a long long day.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I agree that Reid is probably well aware of the Texans potential and is probably sweating this one. I think he will have the team well prepared. I think it is probably more the fans that are looking past this game more so than the staff or players.
    Anyone looking past the Texans are people looking at records only. This team was a superbowl favorite before they lost a grip on things. This is not a good match up for us. The best thing for us is their QB situation. The previous QB's threw a pick 6 in numerous games. Even if 3rd string QB holds the ball and gets sacked for a 3 and 48 that is an improvement over giving up 6 points. Their defense can shut us down. As long as they don't turn it over, the Texans are improving from what they had. They have tons and tons of talent on that team to hurt the Chiefs.

Im just happy that we I cam finally expect the chiefs to win on a constant basis and feel they can win every game. Unlike the past few years we expected them to loose amd the only wuestion was how bad we would loose. So happy we can expect to win games again.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Their defense is pretty dang good too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    ...Their defense can shut us down...
    I keep hearing stuff like this and it is true that the Texans are ranked 1st in the NFL in total yards allowed per game (252.8) and 1st in passing yds allowed (131.3). So why are they ranked 28th in points allowed per game (29.5)?

I looked at their last four games---all losses. Here is what I found:

@Ravens 30-Texans 9
    The Ravens passed 24 times and ran the ball 31 times even though they only averaged 2.4 yds/rush. They converted 8 of 16 third downs. They scored a TD on a punt return and another on a interception and led 17-6 in the 2nd quarter. Houston also committed 14 penalties for 113 yds.

Seahawks 23-@Texans 20 (OT)
    The Seahawks passed 23 times for 91 yds and rushed 30 times for 179 yds (6.0 ypc). Houston blew a 20-3 halftime lead with three turnovers in the 2nd half. Seattle score a FG on a 30 yd drive after recovering a fumble and returned an INT for a TD.

@49ers 34 -Texans 3
    San Francisco only passed 15 times and ran the ball 31 times for 177 yds. Houston lost 1 fumble and threw 3 INTs. The 49ers led 21-0 at halftime. The 49ers returned an INT for a TD and scored another TD on a 35 yd drive after the Texans missed a FG. A 2nd INT set up a 35 yd drive for another TD. The fumble set up SF at the Houston 8 yd line and resulted in a FG.

Rams 38-@Texans 13
    St. Louis only passed 16 times and ran the ball 25 times. Houston lost 2 fumbles and threw 2 pics. One of the INTs was returned 98 yds for a TD. They also had 95 yds in penalties. The Rams led 17-3 in the 2nd quarter.

Conclusion:
    Houston's defensive stats are misleading. They lead the NFL in passing yds allowed because nobody is throwing the ball against them. They are ranked 25th in rushing yds allowed and probably would be ranked lower if teams had to go farther to score, so why would opponents throw the ball? Turnovers and special teams have been giving opponents very good field position. It's hard to put up big passing numbers on a 35 yd drive. They have also trailed by big margins early in most of their losses which is another reason teams would run the ball more and pass it less.

The NFL doesn't keep score by looking at statistics. They use points for that and Houston is ranked 26th in points per game (17.7) and 28th in points allowed (29.5).

Many here have been talking about how the Chiefs need to run the ball more early and get off to a fast start to put the game out of reach. Houston is the perfect team to do just that against. They have the 2nd most turnovers in the NFL with 15. Only the Giants are worse with 16. Our defense is a turnover producing machine and they should be able to feast on a rookie QB. We have one of the best rushers in the NFL in Jamaal Charles and Smith's short quick passing offense should result in a high number of completions.

And don't forget we have the loudest home crowd in the world!

The Chiefs will win and win big.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-19-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

most of the turnovers came from schaub, he is gone and we don't know about keenum 3. Keenum shattered records in college, including the NCAA career records for passing touchdowns and pass completions. In his final year at the University of Houston, he completed 71.0 percent of his passes for 5,631 yards, 48 touchdowns and five interceptions. lets hope that we confuse and blitz the crap out of him...but I hope he doesn't get in a groove against us
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    most of the turnovers came from schaub, he is gone and we don't know about keenum 3. Keenum shattered records in college, including the NCAA career records for passing touchdowns and pass completions. In his final year at the University of Houston, he completed 71.0 percent of his passes for 5,631 yards, 48 touchdowns and five interceptions. lets hope that we confuse and blitz the crap out of him...but I hope he doesn't get in a groove against us
    Yeah, that's pretty impressive, but keep in mind that most of those games were against Conference USA opponents. Not exactly the best competition. He replaced Kevin Kolb at U of H and how is he doing in the NFL?
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

TopekaRoy.....

Thank you for your most excellent look at the facts behind the statistics! Settled my ulcer down a bit.

That said, I'm still very nervous about this game. Keenum makes me nervous. Too many times over the years I have seen a new QB come into a lost game and just light things up. Change of pace, change of chemistry, lack of film prep? I dunno. But it happens too often to be ignored.

I'm very glad this game is at Arrowhead. That will make things rough for a QB that has no NFL experience.

Just wish it was Sunday. Nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof!

Well, it is good to see people looking forward to the next game as opposed to this time last year at this same time when people were looking forward to the season being over with and Pioli canned.

I am becoming increasingly nervous about this game...the articles in arrowhead pride " a letter to case" and the 5 ? seemed to smell of arrogant overconfidence and border on trash talking. they seemed to dismiss the Texans qb as nothing more than target practice for the H & H train and their defense as a running backs paradise. I caution our team as well as our fans do NOT overlook this team. Watts may wreak havoc in our backfield, take away the turnovers and they would have beaten seattle.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast