Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Game 7 thoughts

Default Game 7 thoughts

The good

The offense IMO is showing some progress. The 97 yard drive was one of the best drives that you're going to see. They looked deep more then they have before just have to get timing down which takes gametime tries.

The D in the 2nd half was what we've seen this year. They were at a disadvantage not having any film of Keenum who was impressive in his first start. But they didn't let that stop them And GOALLINE STAND NICE

The bad

The offense still being a work in progress they show you at times what they can be then at others they look like last year. The redzone offense in the 2nd half was poor a lot of that was playcalling. That has to be better

The defense at the start. They just didn't look the same. I don't think they were ready for the offense Houston ran. But the good news even in that is they clearly were able to make the needed adjustments. That's something they wouldn't have been able to do last year with that joke of a coaching staff.

Very lucky to be 7-0 but still are 7-0 keep on rolling Bring on the Browns
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    he has a point. We haven't played anyone. Offense has shown it's not that great at scoring. The denver game is going to answer questions, Is the chiefs good enough to slow down the best offense in the league. It's just what it is, you don't have a flashy QB in a QB driven league, people will question your team
    Quite the contrary. The games with Denver will not answer anything.

The ultimate questions are:

1. Can the Chiefs win enough games to get to the post-season?

2. Can the Chiefs do something IF they get to the post-season and advance?

We have to wait and see for the answers to those questions.

As I recall, Denver beat Baltimore 34-17 at Baltimore last season on Dec 6, but what happened when the two teams met 4 weeks later in the post-season? The Ravens beat the Donks at Denver and went on to win the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    NO DOUBT! No doubt at all!!! Reid is a coach. And a damned good one. One way or another, Reid got put in a position in Philthy that simply put him out of his comfort zone. It doesn't take much to see that Andy Reid is just having a BLAST being Head Coach of the CHIEFS!!! And like any job, you are going to do better if you enjoy the job. Reid is having fun doing a good job and it shows in the players and in our record....7-0!!!!! I suspect Andy Reid will be our coach for a good long while and that when he finally retires he will be remembered as one of the truly elite coaches the NFL has ever seen. I see a long period of the CHIEFS dominating the AFC.

THE CHIEFS ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not only can you see the Reid is having fun and likes coaching this team you can see the players like Reid. Just watch the locker room celebration videos. Sure every locker room is joyful but not many have the players chanting the coaches name like we have seen with this team. After what they went through with the joke of a coaching staff in KC last year they are enjoying having a coaching staff that belongs in the NFL
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    My thoughts on the game....

1) Will the person that stated (w/detailed analysis) about how this game was going to be a blowout game for the Chiefs please step up and get their crow pie? Your order is blocking the chef's window because Chef Dexter McCluster has another plate of crow for me, too.
    That would be me and I never said it was going to be "a blowout game." I said "The Chiefs will win and win big." The Chiefs did win and moving to 7-0 and becoming the only undefeated team in the NFL is big!

To be fair, the Chiefs did leave points on the field. They should have won 23-16 and could have won 31-16. That would be a blowout. On the drive that stalled out at the one FOOT line, they passed up a sure field goal going for a touchdown. Why don't you run a QB sneak there on third down instead of dropping back 3 yards and handing off to Charles? Smith likes to run the football. But I digress ...

After the interception at the end of the game put us inside the 5 yard line, we could have kicked an easy FG and probably would have gotten a TD if we needed it, but we didn't. We took a knee twice and let the clock run out.

But the point of that post (which can be read here) was not that the Texans have a bad defense. The point was that their defense was over-rated; that they were not that good. Sunday's result bares out my conclusion. Let's do some more analysis, shall we? "Hooray!"

Comparing the Texans pass defense to the other 6 teams we have played:

Passing completion percentage:
    1. Oak 45%
    2. Ten 51%
    3. Dal 58%
    4. NYG 59%
    5. Jax 62%
    6. Phi 63%
    7. Hou 68%

Yards per pass attempt:
    1. Oak 4.1
    2. Jax 5.1
    3. Ten 6.3
    4. NYG 7.0
    5(tie). Dal 7.1
    5(tie). Hou 7.1
    7. Phi 7.8

Total yards:
    1. Jax 173
    2. Oak 216
    3. NYG 217
    4. Hou 240
    5. Ten 245
    6. Phi 273
    7. Dal 298

Sacked:
    1. Phi 5 times for 25 yds
    2. Dal 4 times for 24 yds
    3. Oak 3 times for 23 yds
    4. Ten 2 times for 12 yds
    5. Hou 2 times for 9 yds
    6. Jax 1 time for 2 yds
    7. NYG 1 time for 0 yds

Overall rank:
    1. Oak 7
    2(tie). Ten 14
    2(tie). Jax 14
    4. Dal 17
    5. NYG 19
    6. Phil 20
    7. Houston 21

So Houston's pass defense is in the middle or near the bottom in every category compared to the other 6 teams we have played. I think we can all agree that the other 6 teams aren't all outstanding defenses. Yet, even in that group Houston's pass defense is ranked dead last.

My point in that other post was that even though Houston's pass defense had given up the fewest yards allowed and the fewest pass yards allowed, those stats were misleading. Houston's defense is not that good.

I rest my case.
    So, for now, I'll pass on that big plate of crow and take the chicken wings instead, thank you.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 10-22-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Great win, a little to close for comfort, but not without some negatives. In back to back weeks, Demps has burned for a long passing TD when the wideout catches the ball in front of him and he takes bad angles, which is fixable.

I saw that Charles is top five in rushing, I thought his numbers were going to suffer under Reid, right Eagles fans?

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    That would be me and I never said it was going to be "a blowout game." I said "The Chiefs will win and win big." The Chiefs did win and moving to 7-0 and becoming the only undefeated team in the NFL is big!

To be fair, the Chiefs did leave points on the field. They should have won 23-16 and could have won 31-16. That would be a blowout. On the drive that stalled out at the one FOOT line, they passed up a sure field goal going for a touchdown. Why don't you run a QB sneak there on third down instead of dropping back 3 yards and handing off to Charles? Smith likes to run the football. But I digress ...

After the interception at the end of the game put us inside the 5 yard line, we could have kicked an easy FG and probably would have gotten a TD if we needed it, but we didn't. We took a knee twice and let the clock run out.

But the point of that post (which can be read here) was not that the Texans have a bad defense. The point was that their defense was over-rated; that they were not that good. Sunday's result bares out my conclusion. Let's do some more analysis, shall we?
    So, for now, I'll pass on that big plate of crow and take the chicken wings instead, thank you.
    Actually I was referring to this post..

When the Chiefs run
    EDGE >> CHIEFS
    Running back Jamaal Charles hasn’t broken a big run yet, but he has run hard and managed to get the tough yards, even when defenses know the Chiefs are running. The Texans struggled against the run in a 38-13 loss to the Rams last week, and currently rank 25th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game at 121.5. It would make sense if the Chiefs tried to establish the run away from Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, the NFL’s reigning defensive player of the year.

When the Chiefs pass
    EDGE >> TEXANS
    The Chiefs could have a difficult time moving the ball through the air against the Texans, who are allowing a league-low 131.3 passing yards per game. Problem is, they aren’t forcing turnovers — they only have three all year, which ranks near the bottom of the league, and are minus-12 in turnover ratio. Against a Chiefs offense that has been averse to turnovers, the Texans struggles could continue, though Watt and fellow defensive end Antonio Smith have a good chance of being disruptive against a somewhat banged-up Chiefs offensive line.

When the Texans run
    EDGE >> TEXANS
    The Chiefs are pretty solid against the run, but the running game is the Texans’ bread-and-butter. Houston runs for nearly 137 yards per game, the sixth-best mark in the league, and there’s little doubt the Texans will lean heavily on the running game to keep this game under control. Center Chris Myers is playing well, which gives the Texans a chance to run up the middle against burgeoning star nose guard Dontari Poe. Then there’s running back Arian Foster, one of the league’s top backs.

When the Texans pass
    EDGE >> CHIEFS
    Let’s see: a rookie taking on the No. 1 pass rush in the NFL at Arrowhead Stadium? Huge advantage goes to the Chiefs. Case Keenum, a third-stringer entering this week, leapfrogged a banged-up and struggling Matt Schaub and beleaguered backup T.J. Yates for the starting job, but he faces a huge test against a defense that leads the NFL in sacks with 30 and is tied for second in interceptions for 10. Good luck, there.

Special teams
    EDGE >> CHIEFS
    This one is close. Texans punter Shane Lechler is one of the best in the league, but so is Chiefs punter Dustin Colquitt. The difference here lies with the kickers, where the Chiefs’ Ryan Succop has drilled nearly twice as many touchbacks and converted a higher percentage of his field goals (84.6) than Bullock has (64.3). The Chiefs also have a punt-return touchdown to their credit, while the Texans do not.

Coaching
    EDGE >> CHIEFS
    While Andy Reid can do no wrong in Kansas City, Houston coach Gary Kubiak’s decision to throw quarterback Case Keenum into the fire could also be construed as a move to buy himself more time on the job. Throw that into the mix, as well as defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s wizardry this season, and the Chiefs would appear to have the advantage here.

X-factor
    EDGE >> CHIEFS
    Chalk this one up to the power of Arrowhead Stadium. The venue that once powered the great Chiefs teams of the 1990s has its mojo back, as the fans proved last week when they broke the Guinness record for loudest crowd at an outdoor sporting event. The fans made it difficult for the Raiders to make their offensive calls, and the Texans should have similar problems.

Bottom line: Chiefs 23-10

Watt is ticked off because of his team’s 2-4 start, and it’s easy to see him having a big day against an offensive line that has battled injuries, overall, and inexperience at the right tackle position. But at the end of the day, it’s hard to imagine a young quarterback winning his debut at a rejuvenated Arrowhead Stadium.

When you say "The Chiefs will win and win big." that is the same as saying "blowout win" in my book...Those chicken wings are going to be coming out with black feathers!! But after it's all said and done maybe they did win big...Going from 2-14 to 7-0 is a huge accomplishment. Bring on the Browns. Now is a great time to be 8-0.

Still believe the Texans are a much better quality team than their record indicates, they've just had a string of problems that their coaching hasn't found an answer for yet, and add a newly acquired QB controversy (remember how much fun the '96 season was, when the team waffled between Bono or Gannon...The Texans are getting a taste of that now...not fun...)
    Last edited by Eydugstr; 10-22-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Actually I was referring to this post...
    Oh that guy! That would be Terez A Paylor who writes the Scouting Report for the Kansas City Star. The Chiefs left two FGs on the field so that would have made it 23-16. Had we taken the points he wouldn't have been too far off.

My prediction (though I didn't post it here) was 20-13 so I missed by a FG both ways.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Quite the contrary. The games with Denver will not answer anything.

The ultimate questions are:

1. Can the Chiefs win enough games to get to the post-season?

2. Can the Chiefs do something IF they get to the post-season and advance?

We have to wait and see for the answers to those questions.

As I recall, Denver beat Baltimore 34-17 at Baltimore last season on Dec 6, but what happened when the two teams met 4 weeks later in the post-season? The Ravens beat the Donks at Denver and went on to win the SB.
    eh, that's what people on nfl threads/forums waht to see. They want to see if the chiefs D is legit against the best O and if they can beat a team that is not one game over .500 or below

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Oh that guy! That would be Terez A Paylor who writes the Scouting Report for the Kansas City Star. The Chiefs left two FGs on the field so that would have made it 23-16. Had we taken the points he wouldn't have been too far off.

My prediction (though I didn't post it here) was 20-13 so I missed by a FG both ways.
    LOL @ "Oh that guy"...(cue store intercom) TopekaRoy, your crow pie order w/complimentary side of denial is ready by the register...

If we were trailing late we would have taken that TD to end the game instead of kneeling. We won this game easily as we had many opportunities to get that score higher, Reid just chose to keep it a close game and secure that win. With so many games going like this I'm starting to think its part of some huge scheme to keep us out of the media hype. Andy's "do just enough to win nothing more nothing less" type of attitude. He showed that the 2nd 1/2 of game one

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    If we were trailing late we would have taken that TD to end the game instead of kneeling. We won this game easily as we had many opportunities to get that score higher, Reid just chose to keep it a close game and secure that win. With so many games going like this I'm starting to think its part of some huge scheme to keep us out of the media hype. Andy's "do just enough to win nothing more nothing less" type of attitude. He showed that the 2nd 1/2 of game one
    Interesting! A conspiracy theory. But still interesting.