Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From 2-14 to 14-2...?

Smile From 2-14 to 14-2...?

But losing in the second round after a bye...

is this 'acceptable' knowing we were three people short of this same season last year?

or is it unacceptable given all chiefs teams that finished with a first round bye have always lost in the last twenty years, give or take.

and i am on record stating with my first post here that the chiefs and broncos will finish tied, but the chiefs will win the tiebreaker.

i will concede for now rather than spilling all my thoughts on my first post...

***sooner or later (maybe its better that it be later) the offense will click???***

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Still need a receiver or two. I an sure Andy Reid will get a Receiver in the off-season. That's just how he rolls.
    Not to argue,
    but don't we also need an O-line that better protects Smith? I'm not smart enough about football to say what we need to do for our O-line. Maybe Fisher just needs more time. I dunno. But it seems to me that we need protection for Smith more than we need receivers. If Smith had time, I think we could destroy any team in the NFL with the receivers we have and our defense.

Long time 49er fan checking in. Still can't believe all the hate he's reading about Alex Smith. I would have thought that Chiefs fans would be overjoyed to be 8-0.

Seems to be the furthest thing from your mind though...

I've seen some concerns posted about Alex -- some legit -- some not. There are some who predict Alex will flop in a tight game, like a playoff game. I'm here to tell you that I haven't seen that. In fact, I saw Alex Smith complete the third most famous pass in 49er history against the Saints, in the playoffs, with the game on the line, etc., etc., etc.

He's cooler than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by billbird2111 View Post
    Long time 49er fan checking in. Still can't believe all the hate he's reading about Alex Smith. I would have thought that Chiefs fans would be overjoyed to be 8-0.

I've seen some concerns posted about Alex -- some legit -- some not. There are some who predict Alex will flop in a tight game, like a playoff game. I'm here to tell you that I haven't seen that. In fact, I saw Alex Smith complete the third most famous pass in 49er history against the Saints, in the playoffs, with the game on the line, etc., etc., etc.

Welcome to ChiefsCrowd, Bill and thanks for your input.

My only complaint about Smith is that sometimes he can be a little too cautious, IMO. Bowe has a habit of dropping passes when he is wide open but when he is tightly covered he usually comes away with the ball. When you have a player like that (Tony Gonzalez, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, for example) sometimes you just need to put the ball up there and let him get it.

To be fair to Smith he hasn't really had to take chances like that yet. As long as the game is close he can stick to the game plan and stay away from throwing into tight coverage. We will probably have to wait until we get down by 7 or more to see if he is willing to take those chances and make the riskier throws.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I've been debating this question for awhile. Is it acceptable if we are one and done in the playoffs this year?

To me, yes. At the end of last season, if someone had mentioned the Chiefs were a lock for the playoffs (which we are not by any means yet), people would have responded with a Mora-like rant about the playoffs!

The most important thing that has happened this season has been the change in culture. The Chiefs believe they can and will win and game. We are still a VERY young team with a lot of players that are still developing. Berry, Houston, Poe, the whole OL except Albert, and many others are still learning the game and improving every season. We also have guys like Kelce, Commings, Davis, and Cooper that have yet to show us what they can really do.

Getting into the playoffs will be a huge moral victory and will be the icing on the culture change. I hope we go all the way, but I will be very happen with a playoff appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by billbird2111 View Post

Bill.....NOBODY here hates Alex Smith. QUITE THE CONTRARY! There was a single person that was personally offended that we got Alex instead of drafting Geno, but he has been banished to that wasteland that is called a Jets board.

Meanwhile, Alex has been a HUGE upgrade at our QB position. Naturally, some of us like him more than others. But honestly 90% of the problems with Alex are on our O-line. Fischer has not developed as quickly as we needed him to and we have other problems there. I haven't seen the long ball capability from Alex that I'd like, but again, how long a pass can anyone get off when they have only 3 seconds before the opposing defense is all over you?

Alex Smith??? I'm real happy with him. As are most Chiefs fans I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Bill.....NOBODY here hates Alex Smith. QUITE THE CONTRARY! There was a single person that was personally offended that we got Alex instead of drafting Geno, but he has been banished to that wasteland that is called a Jets board.
    OH LORD!!!! LOL

Nobody ever hated smith, they question his ability to get the chiefs to the promise land that is a playoff win and then a super bowl

Smith isn't my worry, it's the young o-line and w/r's that worry me. I think we will finish 12-4 give or take a game. hopefully we sneak into playoffs,,,from there its a new ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    Smith isn't my worry, it's the young o-line and w/r's that worry me. I think we will finish 12-4 give or take a game. hopefully we sneak into playoffs,,,from there its a new ball game.
    You got that right. The season end with game 16. From there on it's a whole new season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Welcome to ChiefsCrowd, Bill and thanks for your input.

My only complaint about Smith is that sometimes he can be a little too cautious, IMO. Bowe has a habit of dropping passes when he is wide open but when he is tightly covered he usually comes away with the ball. When you have a player like that (Tony Gonzalez, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, for example) sometimes you just need to put the ball up there and let him get it.

To be fair to Smith he hasn't really had to take chances like that yet. As long as the game is close he can stick to the game plan and stay away from throwing into tight coverage. We will probably have to wait until we get down by 7 or more to see if he is willing to take those chances and make the riskier throws.
    Alex will always be cautious -- by nature. He's still not comfortable with Andy Reid's offense yet and it takes him a year or two to gain that confidence. It's a given that you're going to make the playoffs THIS season and a given that you'll get homefield advantage for at least one game. I think that's enough to buy Reid and Smith another year together.

Smith never was, and never will be, a gunslinger. As you've probably noticed, he does not throw the long ball with great accuracy. His arm strength serves him well in the 10-20 yard range -- but anything longer than that and his passes start to float. He does, however, have tremendous touch. You'll see that if Reid ever starts calling deeper passes with regularity.

But that's not a trademark of the West Coast Offense. Never has been. Never will be. Having witnessed the original Bill Walsh WCO in action, I saw Joe Montana complete a bevy of three to five yard dumpoffs that his wide receivers would turn into touchdowns. Everyone seems to remember Montana winging it down the field. Reality is, he didn't. You should take a look at those 49er scores from 1981 to 1986. Everyone remembers the 45-14 blowouts. Nobody remembers the games that Montana won 15-9, or 9-0. And I guarantee you there were FAR MORE of those wins, than 45-14.

It was only AFTER Walsh left in 1988 did the 49ers open up the offense a bit. The 49ers had one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL during this period, but that wasn't the original WCO. That was a hybrid. It was a lot more exciting I'll agree, but it wasn't what Reid is running today.

Reid is winning games exactly the way Walsh won them with a young Joe Montana. I wouldn't be too concerned. Alex Smith surprised the HELL out of all of us 49er fans who had written him off completely. His first year in the playoffs he literally STUNNED us with one of the greatest playoff comeback wins not engineered by QB's named Montana or Young. We simply could not believe that was Alex Smith, moving the ball down the field with laser-like proficiency, with the clock ticking down and the game on the line. Yet, it was.

So, hang in there fans of the KC Chiefs! We're watching with interest from the Left Coast of wacko weirdness! These final division games against the Broncos, Chargers and Raiders will be interesting to watch indeed....

We ahve to win atleast 1 playoff game!
    I FOR ONE AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE MEDIA AND ESPECIALLY THE OTHER FAN BASES TRASHING US!!!!!!!!!! I AM SICK OF IT TO WERE I WANT TO PUNCH THE CRAP OUT OF THESE IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast