Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith Trade

Default Alex Smith Trade

So, now that we have hit the 8 win mark, we know that we are giving San Fran our 2nd. I for one am now satisfied with what we gave up. Smith may not be lighting it up, but I see him as being a big part of the whole change in culture here. We paid a 2nd round pick for his leadership, and to make a change to someone who knows how to win and has won before.

We will draft a qb in 4th or 5th rd

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    We will draft a qb in 4th or 5th rd
    Depending on the options, late 1st or 3rd seems more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Depending on the options, late 1st or 3rd seems more likely.
    I see the reasoning behind going for a QB early, but I feel like we have bigger needs. That having been said, if this is a great QB class (I haven't really been following college lately), I can see the logic.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I see the reasoning behind going for a QB early, but I feel like we have bigger needs. That having been said, if this is a great QB class (I haven't really been following college lately), I can see the logic.
    I just don't see the Chiefs bringing in another project QB through the draft if they still have Bray. They might bring in cannon fodder as a UDFA, but if they spend a draft pick on a QB, it's gonna have to happen in the first couple rounds to justify the pick.

It probably depends on what the current administration truly feels about Tyler Bray. Although, drafting an elite QB prospect shouldn't be ruled out just because Bray has shown promise. A mobile QB is probably best suited in Andy Reid's system, which would seem to exclude a pocket passer like Tyler Bray. That's not to say that he wouldn't command a premium in another type of offense like the ones run in Arizon, Denver, New England, New Orleans, etc. Each of those franchises will be looking for replacements within the next few years and a guy like Bray who has sat behind a smart vet like Smith could command a high bounty.

The Chiefs will probably be picking in the bottom 5 in the first round. It's going to be really tough to pass on a guy like Manziel who seems to be the prototypical Andy Reid QB if he's still sitting there. I'm not saying that's the guy I would take to be my franchise QB. Personally, I've got more character concerns about him than I had about a couple QBs who came out this past year. But I'm not Andy Reid and I can see him taking a guy like Johnny if he was willing to sign a guy like Mike Vick. Who knows.
    Last edited by texaschief; 11-02-2013 at 06:44 PM.

We need WR TE and o line first 3 picks

I just don't see the Chiefs bringing in another project QB through the draft if they still have Bray. They might bring in cannon fodder as a UDFA, but if they spend a draft pick on a QB, it's gonna have to happen in the first couple rounds to justify the pick.

It probably depends on what the current administration truly feels about Tyler Bray. Although, drafting an elite QB prospect shouldn't be ruled out just because Bray has shown promise. A mobile QB is probably best suited in Andy Reid's system, which would seem to exclude a pocket passer like Tyler Bray. That's not to say that he wouldn't command a premium in another type of offense like the ones run in Arizon, Denver, New England, New Orleans, etc. Each of those franchises will be looking for replacements within the next few years and a guy like Bray who has sat behind a smart vet like Smith could command a high bounty.

The Chiefs will probably be picking in the bottom 5 in the first round. It's going to be really tough to pass on a guy like Manziel who seems to be the prototypical Andy Reid QB if he's still sitting there. I'm not saying that's the guy I would take to be my franchise QB. Personally, I've got more character concerns about him than I had about a couple QBs who came out this past year. But I'm not Andy Reid and I can see him taking a guy like Johnny if he was willing to sign a guy like Mike Vick. Who knows.
    I absolutely agree that IF they go for a QB, it will have to be in the 1st or 3rd rounds. I just feel like we are not improving the team NOW if we go after a QB with the other needs we have. It is only 8 weeks into the season, though so draft speculation is a bit premature.

On your earlier analysis of Smith's lack of skill, I think he has more of an arm than he displays. He doesn't have a rocket arm (I'm assuming arm strength is you biggest knock on him), but he can get the ball downfield when he needs to and when it is there. The one play he is the most famous for in San Fran was a laser he threw downfield to Vernon Davis. When there is an opening, he has thrown it deep. I honestly believe (and it may be my rosé colored glasses) that he doesn't throw downfield because he is too afraid of turnovers, and isn't willing to risk deep throws unless there is a lot of space.

On Johnny Manziel ... please no. I don't like his attitude, and I don't think he is THAT good of a QB. My evaluation is based on only a couple of games, and I'm sure you have seen much more of him, but I don't think he is that good of a QB. He is AMAZING at eluding the pass rush and extending the play, but his actual ability to read defenses and put the ball where it needs to be seems above average for a college QB at best. To me it seems like he waits until the DBs break down their coverage and heaves the ball up. I would want a 1st round pick QB to be better at picking apart defenses. Then again, maybe his OL sucks and his receivers suck at getting open.

Smith's lack of arm strength is the cause of a few other weaknesses that show up in his game. Because he doesn't think he can fit it into a smaller than a wide open hole, it leads to him holding onto the ball too long, which leads to sacks and pressure on the O-line and the Chiefs defense. Over the last few weeks, we've also seen him miss completely wide open receivers. You say he can hit the receiver downfield when he's open, but recent history would seem to prove otherwise. He's only completing 59% of his throws with only 9 TDs on the season through 8 games.

Is Alex Smith capable of winning with this team? Obviously the answer is yes. Is he a guy who could win a Super Bowl with this team? It's definitely possible. But is he a guy you should be building a long-term pass-heavy offense around? There's just no way I could see any team justifying that.

Alex Smith is the guy who won't lose you a game while you feed the ball to your RBs 40x a game behind a dominating O-line and defense. That's what he is RIGHT NOW... except, they're not utilizing the running game enough. Andy Reid is NEVER going to be that coach. He wants to throw the ball all the time and he's relying on an average QB to do so.

I'm not trying to bash Alex. I'm just saying that he's probably not the guy 3 years from now for all the reasons I've stated.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    I agree with this, I'm more unhappy with Daniel as the back up though I understand the move given the options. I'm interested in seeing how they bring Bray along and believe he is the one to eventually replace Alex. I also believe after the bye week that Reid has pages of the playbook we have yet to see, a combination of not being in a position to have to use longer plays and 15 years of gamesmanship on Reid's part.
    Without a doubt, Reid is certainly a wilely guy. You may have something here.

Smith's lack of arm strength is the cause of a few other weaknesses that show up in his game. Because he doesn't think he can fit it into a smaller than a wide open hole, it leads to him holding onto the ball too long, which leads to sacks and pressure on the O-line and the Chiefs defense. Over the last few weeks, we've also seen him miss completely wide open receivers. You say he can hit the receiver downfield when he's open, but recent history would seem to prove otherwise. He's only completing 59% of his throws with only 9 TDs on the season through 8 games.

Is Alex Smith capable of winning with this team? Obviously the answer is yes. Is he a guy who could win a Super Bowl with this team? It's definitely possible. But is he a guy you should be building a long-term pass-heavy offense around? There's just no way I could see any team justifying that.

Alex Smith is the guy who won't lose you a game while you feed the ball to your RBs 40x a game behind a dominating O-line and defense. That's what he is RIGHT NOW... except, they're not utilizing the running game enough. Andy Reid is NEVER going to be that coach. He wants to throw the ball all the time and he's relying on an average QB to do so.

I'm not trying to bash Alex. I'm just saying that he's probably not the guy 3 years from now for all the reasons I've stated.
    I don't disagree that he may not be a long term answer, but I'm not quite ready to declare that we need to use a top draft pick on a QB. I'm hoping that the offense will start clicking. The OL has been a huge disappointment to me this year, so I am willing to give Alex the benefit if the doubt that he doesn't have time. My superstition (and being far outside KCs market) has kept me from watching a game this year, so I cannot analyze anything more than stats. I'd like to watch some footage to make my own analysis of what Smith is doing wrong/right as well as the OL.

Found this on youtube. Check out some of the throws.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast