Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: reaction to buffalo

Default reaction to buffalo

3 games in a row shows us some alarming trends with this kansas city football team.

The obvious:
    We are playing a solid defensive team who is starting their alternate alternate (alternate?) QB. Hes not a Case Keenum level prodigy, not someone most people have ever really heard of. Going into this game EVERYONE is expecting this kid to make some key mistakes against this Defense.

We have a history of losses at buffalo. Its a tough place to go in later in the season with the cold and come out with a victory. Chiefs have something of a 5 game losing streak there in the past decade (or something like that).

The Ugly:
    Offensively, this team has hit rock bottom. Each week seems like a regression, and this is not a QB problem at this point as smith has been pretty damn consistent in his play style whether hes facing big leads or dangerous deficits.

When you have 20 points in a football game by the mid 4th quarter and 6 of them have come off of offensive drives, you have a serious offensive impotency issue. Playcalling feels uninspiring and execution is inconsistent at best. Not one shot was made downfield or at the endzone this game and this is a tough problem to diagnose, largely because we do not know if the source of this is a reluctant quarterback, a lack of receiver speed or zero protection up front allowing for the deep ball. Considering ive seen smith with SOME decent time to throw today, this doesnt fall entirely on the offensive unit.

You cant win big ball games if you arent throwing or running footballs in the endzone.

Ive been fighting the 'chiefs suck' wave all season, but as the season goes on we're looking more like 2012 then we are the first 4 games of the year and im officially panicked.

Defenseively - How can you have a touted top ranked defense in the league and not have a single guy up front that can tackle either running back at the line? On the other hand, how does a defense consistently score as many or more points than the offense is beyond me.

As a whole this team is feeling eerily like a certain 2010 team that won a lot of games and also had a soft schedule and was completely exposed and regressed horribly as the season went on. They wound up getting completely destroyed by a league best level defense in the ravens at home.

We're 9-0 and i couldnt feel any less confident about who or what this team is.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    This and THIS !!

Pay the f$%* attention people and stay cautiously optimistic and take them down one game at a time.

Sure, I'd like to see the Offense do better. They've played some pretty good Defenses as of late, just in case some of you hadn't noticed. Maybe they'll get together, maybe they won't -- time will tell

Someone said this is like 2010. That's pure BULLSH!T !! People's examples listed below.

1. The 2010 squad was a Cinderella team that did NOT have the foundation in place that this 2013 Chiefs team has. The 2013 squad has a much better Front Office and Coaching staff and a lot better player personnel, overall.

2. The 2010 squad played the easiest schedule in team history & did not beat a single team with a winning reccord. That 2010 team was littered with stop-gap measure guys like Thomas Jones, Mike Vrabel, Chris Chambers, Casey Weigmann, Ryan Lilja, Brian Waters, Shaun Smith, etc -- guys that you knew were going to be gone by the end of 2012 at the latest. That's not the case with the current 2013 team.

3. That 2010 O-Line stunk and would have gotten totally demolished by the opposing Defensive Front 7's that the 2013 Chiefs O-Line has had to face thus far this year. I will grant you that the 2013 Chiefs O-Line has much room for improvement, but they've played much better opposing competition than the 2010 squad did.

Personally, I'm grateful for the 9-0 start in 2013. It's not every year that we see that, now is it? Everybody knew this was going to be a season of the new regime building the foundation of the Chiefs team. Not too bad thus far.
    Exactly!! I can't believe how people are reacting to being 9-0. Are you kidding me?? Yeah our offense looks like poo more often than not but I tell you what, I have never seen our D doing these kinds of things for a long long time. When was the last time we had an exciting defense?? I am a firm believer that Defense wins championships and even how football is played now with all the rules and stuff. If you can get after the QB and cause turnovers you should be in every game you play. And it shows!! We are winning close games and to be a good team you have to win like that. I don't care how we win as long as we win.

I am so sick of hearing how, in general, how we are the worst undefeated team in history and how we haven't played anyone with a winning record. I tell you what, when the schedule came out I was like, 3 straight weeks of the NFC East to pretty much start the year... I thought we'd be 2-2 the first 4 weeks into the season. I went to the Giants game and have never felt the stadium like that, what an experience!! After that we just kept winning and we have set ourselves up very nice for the remainder of the season. So shut up and enjoy the ride and finally GO CHIEFS!!!!!

Some people are listening to the talking heads too much....you know who I mean....the ones that are saying we only have the record we have because of an easy schedule. Well boys, THEY ARE FULL OF SHI*!!! We are not 6-3 and "in the hunt"! We are 9-0 and in first place in the AFC West and hold the best record in the NFL!!!!

We are not where we are because of our schedule. We are there because when crunch time comes in EVERY SINGLE GAME we have found a way to win. Usually by putting the opposing teams offense in a headlock and squeezing until they can't breathe any more.

This Chiefs team just plain wins games. The games may not be Picasso masterpieces, but every week for 9 weeks in a row the result has been the same....when the game is over Chiefs win! Chiefs win!! Chiefs win!!!

Screw the talking heads! Screw the schedule! Screw the fantasy football numbers! The Chiefs are winning ballgames and that is what they are supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Some people are listening to the talking heads too much....you know who I mean....the ones that are saying we only have the record we have because of an easy schedule. Well boys, THEY ARE FULL OF SHI*!!! We are not 6-3 and "in the hunt"! We are 9-0 and in first place in the AFC West and hold the best record in the NFL!!!!

We are not where we are because of our schedule. We are there because when crunch time comes in EVERY SINGLE GAME we have found a way to win. Usually by putting the opposing teams offense in a headlock and squeezing until they can't breathe any more.

This Chiefs team just plain wins games. The games may not be Picasso masterpieces, but every week for 9 weeks in a row the result has been the same....when the game is over Chiefs win! Chiefs win!! Chiefs win!!!

Screw the talking heads! Screw the schedule! Screw the fantasy football numbers! The Chiefs are winning ballgames and that is what they are supposed to do.

The schedule talk should die down from the donkey loving media should the texans go on to win tonight

That horrible Browns team that the Chiefs barely beat beat one of the "best teams" Denver beat

And if the Texans hold on to win the Chiefs will have beaten a team that beat the team that beat Denver so the Schedule will turn in the Chiefs favor

I don't see it being talked about as much this week it will no longer look good for Denver so they won't talk about it
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    I like Andy Reid's gameplan...let the defense score all the TDs, makes for an interesting season. As long as our defense out scores the opposing offense we are winning! So our defense controls the game on both sides of the ball
    Can think of 9 teams that would swear it worked.

All the nerves will start to break out in a rash once a thread on the Denver game gets started, but for now all I have to say is 9-0 and I'll take that record any time I can get it!!!!

put all your damn pom poms down and at least attempt to analyze the trending headwinds facing this team.

First - of all the *****ing and moaning from last week's close game, we faced a team that game playing much better ball than this buffalo team. I think maybe 10 people read my rather positive analysis of the performance, aside from oline protection for alex, in an attempt to bring half of you off the ledge.

This game in buffalo was a different story. And the very worrying aspect of it is that its turning into a spiraling trend that clearly isnt improving after several weeks of acknowledgement by team and staff noting how they are 'working on it'.

Chiefs total offense this game : 210 yards. "return yards" : ~180. We almost had as many yards in returns as total offense. 14 direct points coming off defensive touchdowns and 3 field goals from 60 minutes of offense. Our longest throw was 20 yards, and we had given charles a sorry 7 touches by some point midway through the 4th quarter.

Bills total offense with a 4th string QB was over 440 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 Ints. without Sean Smiths pic 6 that could very well have been 2 tds and 1 int.

Stats clearly do not win games. Tamba Hali remarks that he doesnt care about people's expectations of how they win in his post game remarks. They got the job done. and guess what? IM GLAD THEY GOT IT DONE! Lets make no mistake about that.

But offensively, execution has seemingly regressed through the season. Smith's completion rate was actually higher than his season avg at about 65%, but Bowe dropped a handful of conversion passes, one critical drop in the redzone on a second and short, and mccluster drops a perfect pass wide open downfield on the only 'downfield shot' that I recall seeing all game. The offensive line drew 3 or 4 penalties in the first quarter alone and were otherwise being abused by buffalo's front line men. This is NOT an INSPIRING performance, and in a vacuum seeing this in just one game is excusable, but this isnt a single game phenomenon and it is becoming a serious weak point with this team.

Now is this team the 2010 team? uhhh no. Watching the two seasons progress feels eerily similar though. Both teams showed strong offensive potency early in the season and were increasingly and systematically shut down as the season progressed. That cost the 2010 team some late season losses (not as important as denver was not a threat that year and chargers were imploding), but ultimately set a blueprint to shut the production down.

Why do defenses have a chance to be great? because theyre not on the field for 30+ minutes of the game. If an offense is systematically shut down and the defense finds itself increasingly on the field more often, that high octane effort begins to break down. Im sure its a combination of mental and physical fatigue. But Ive been hearing the chatter that the defense is becoming less potent as the season goes on. partially because offenses have more tape to figure out how to counter the pass rush threats (0 sacks this game against buffalo) but also, Id argue, because theyve been on the field ore often. no long sustained drives to give them a rest. no offensive endzones to give them a motivational push. These are the similarities in the trends that i remember seeing in 2010 and I dont like it one bit.

Drops happen and sometimes big drops happen more frequently in certain games, but not taking a single downfield shot, minus the mccluster wide open drop, SEEMS inexcusable in this modern league (i say seems because you see many other explosive offensive teams but none of them are 9-0).

Im glad youre all happy and that we're still undefeated and trust me im glad we won. But damn if this is the road show we expect to bring to mile high in two weeks and frankly, the whole back end of our schedule, this team could discover some serious issues in a hurry that they may not be able to easily fix. The WORST thing id hate to see happen to this team is have them hit a losing streak towards the end of the season and lose momentum and confidence.

Confidence is a funny thing and can sometimes make all the difference in how you play, and this chiefs offense seems to lack any sense of confidence, and Im fearing that it may eventually spill over into the defensive effort.

BTW if anyones watching the SNF game - it appears Case Keenum isnt quite the lowly 3rd stringer that our critics would claim. I thought that kid showed great promise coming into arrowhead the way he played and he is LIGHTING THE COLTS UP right now with a deadly accurate long ball.

BTW this texan teams top WR this game has almost as many yards HIMSELF IN THE FIRST HALF than this chiefs offense had against the bills all damn game. This is with Keenum starting his second damn game ever.

We have some serious problems here! And like the chiefs mentality of taking one game at a time, ill take one victory at a time with a grain of salt. Ill begin to feel better when this team shows the world that they are PROgressing and not REgressing.

Why is theree 2 threads of the same subject?

I'm merely speculating here, but I think it may well be possible that, at least in part, some of the reaction we are seeing from folks is brought on by the memory of the 2003 season when we started 9-0 and failed to advance in the first game of the playoffs. However, it is, at least for me, extremely difficult to know exactly how this team would respond in a playoff game because this team is the exact mirror opposite of the 2003 Chiefs whose success came primarily from their offense while our current success comes primarily from our defense. It will be interesting to see, if the old saying holds true, just how close toward a championship our defense can brings us.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 11-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Sometimes threads about the same thing are being made at the same time
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post

Welcome to the Chiefs Crowd.

...Good question.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast