Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tamba Hali

Default Tamba Hali

Say what u want about Carl and Herm but they found a gem. Don't know if y'all got to watch him on ESPN today but man is the guy educated, well spoken, and soft spoken. My favorite chief for sure. That is all.

^^Good points, Eydugstr -- especially regarding the "Pat Bowlen/Turd Elway schmoozling". BTW, I'm pleased to see another Chiefs fan join me in giving Elway that reference. It's like they say if the shoe fits him let him wear it. And that reference comes from a poke at Elway's passing style as illustrated below:

Remember the 1991 game in KC in the 3rd QTR with the Chiefs leading 13-10 and Denver had a 3rd down on the Chiefs 30-yard line and Elway went across the LOS and pulled a turd out of his back pocket and threw it into the end zone and it stuck to Mark Jackson for a TD, and not only did the Line Judge not correctly flag Elway for being across the LOS, but instant replay also refused to overturn it. When Elway was asked about the play his response was "if I had known I was across the LOS, then I wouldn't have thrown the ball" <--- that is NOT the point, the point is the refs and instant replay both blew it as it should have been a penalty and loss of down instead of a Denver TD. Elway, to me, lost all credibility with that statement and I'll admit that I was hoping somebody would maim him from that point on.

Actually, no I didn't know about the "Turd" referencing to a specific game or play. Is there a clip of that somewhere on youtube? I'll have to check. When I call Elway a turd it's referring to many things, a career of poo-flinging that got somehow got everyone else around him fired while somehow never getting himself axed. As a former broncos fan, my irritation started when Coach Reeves got fired. IMHO that's the moment when the Broncos ceased being a team, and became a sideshow act for Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Actually, no I didn't know about the "Turd" referencing to a specific game or play. Is there a clip of that somewhere on youtube? I'll have to check. When I call Elway a turd it's referring to many things, a career of poo-flinging that got somehow got everyone else around him fired while somehow never getting himself axed. As a former broncos fan, my irritation started when Coach Reeves got fired. IMHO that's the moment when the Broncos ceased being a team, and became a sideshow act for Elway.
    Really? You were a former Broncos fan? When did you come over to KC? I hope you weren't a Donks fan when they went up against the Niners in SB 24 when the man Montana showed the boy Elway who was who in that 55-10 blowout.

You are right about the Elway sideshow and it seemed in '97 and '98 everything revolved league-wide around helping him get his two SB rings that he couldn't earn outright under Dan Reeves. Donkeys fans can't stomach it when you tell them Elways SB record is 0 wins, 3 losses, and 2 given to him by the league office because he wasn't good enough to earn one outright, but it's the truth.

Sorry but I don't have a clip of that '91 Donks-Chiefs game in 1991, but trust me, my account of what happened is 100% accurate.

Anyway, since this thread is about Hali, lets hope he gets to Manning all game long, and that Hali and the rest of the Chiefs Defense puts Manning under the hardest rush he's seen all year.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Really? You were a former Broncos fan? When did you come over to KC? I hope you weren't a Donks fan when they went up against the Niners in SB 24 when the man Montana showed the boy Elway who was who in that 55-10 blowout.

You are right about the Elway sideshow and it seemed in '97 and '98 everything revolved league-wide around helping him get his two SB rings that he couldn't earn outright under Dan Reeves. Donkeys fans can't stomach it when you tell them Elways SB record is 0 wins, 3 losses, and 2 given to him by the league office because he wasn't good enough to earn one outright, but it's the truth.

Sorry but I don't have a clip of that '91 Donks-Chiefs game in 1991, but trust me, my account of what happened is 100% accurate.

Anyway, since this thread is about Hali, lets hope he gets to Manning all game long, and that Hali and the rest of the Chiefs Defense puts Manning under the hardest rush he's seen all year.
    Yep. We lived in KC from the late '70's to mid '80's, moved to Denver, then moved back to KC in late '89. KC was a baseball town, but Denver took their football very seriously, and Reeves & Elway certainly made it fun to watch. Yes, did watch the SB where Montana sliced & diced the Broncos (That SF team was INCREDIBLE.) but by that point I was a Chiefs fan. The whole Reeves/Elway fued was a turnoff, and after all those great Broncos/Browns games Marty had earned a lot of respect.

Too long of a story to post here, but will sum it up by saying that the Reeves SB Broncos teams and the Broncos(ish) teams that went to on to win SB's in '97 & '98 were two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT critters. Under Reeves they struggled, but they held their egos in check and earned everything they got. Sure, the Reeve's teams had some calls go their way, but nothing as blatanly going their way like it did in the late nineties.

To relate this back to Tamba Hali...Tamba has earned every bit of his success. What he did for that poster's daughter was great, bet she'll remember that for a long time!! When he came here, he was originally a defensive lineman, but really took off as a linebacker. So far not one NFL team we've faced has been able to stop this LB corps or D-line. And Tamba's a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Yep. We lived in KC from the late '70's to mid '80's, moved to Denver, then moved back to KC in late '89. KC was a baseball town, but Denver took their football very seriously, and Reeves & Elway certainly made it fun to watch. Yes, did watch the SB where Montana sliced & diced the Broncos (That SF team was INCREDIBLE.) but by that point I was a Chiefs fan. The whole Reeves/Elway fued was a turnoff, and after all those great Broncos/Browns games Marty had earned a lot of respect.

Too long of a story to post here, but will sum it up by saying that the Reeves SB Broncos teams and the Broncos(ish) teams that went to on to win SB's in '97 & '98 were two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT critters. Under Reeves they struggled, but they held their egos in check and earned everything they got. Sure, the Reeve's teams had some calls go their way, but nothing as blatanly going their way like it did in the late nineties.

To relate this back to Tamba Hali...Tamba has earned every bit of his success. What he did for that poster's daughter was great, bet she'll remember that for a long time!! When he came here, he was originally a defensive lineman, but really took off as a linebacker. So far not one NFL team we've faced has been able to stop this LB corps or D-line. And Tamba's a big part of that.
    Excellent point illustrated there. Another illustrative example would be the 1990 Giants, who won the NFC Championship 15-13 with the key play being a Roger Craig fumble recovered by Lawrence Taylor that gave the Giants a chance at a game-winning FG, and the the SB that followed where the key play was Scott Norwood missing that FG and allowed the Giants to win 20-19. What happened with the '97 and '98 Donkeys was NOT along that same vein as the 1990 Giants, not by a longshot.

And I openly admit that I've never gotten over what Marty did regarding Rich Gannon in that 1997 playoff game. It was absolutely unthinkable & proved that Marty didn't care about winning in the post-season, for if he had, then Gannon would have been in the game by no later than the end of the 1st QTR. One needs to ask themselves this -- how could Marty substitute Gannon in for Grbac after a couple of series when Grbac was struggling to move the Offense in a meaningless season final against NO, but not substitute Gannon in for Grbac after a couple of series when Grbac was struggling to move the Offense in a meaningful post-season game against the Donkeys? Marty was without excuse.

I'm really hopeful that the current Chiefs regime NEVER makes that sort of mistake & hope that they devise a game plan to give the Chiefs a chance to win in Denver -- especially a Defensive scheme that will slow down the Donkeys Offense for 4 QTR's and put Manning under the hardest rush he's seen all year long. led by Hali, of course. I really don't believe that Donks current LT can block Hali all game long and keep Hali at bay without holding him. Question is, will the refs call it when it happens, because I'm willing to bet the farm that it will happen & multiple times.

No doubt about it, Hali is more than a solid pick. My hat's off to Carl who gave us ten good years.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Excellent point illustrated there. Another illustrative example would be the 1990 Giants, who won the NFC Championship 15-13 with the key play being a Roger Craig fumble recovered by Lawrence Taylor that gave the Giants a chance at a game-winning FG, and the the SB that followed where the key play was Scott Norwood missing that FG and allowed the Giants to win 20-19. What happened with the '97 and '98 Donkeys was NOT along that same vein as the 1990 Giants, not by a longshot.

And I openly admit that I've never gotten over what Marty did regarding Rich Gannon in that 1997 playoff game. It was absolutely unthinkable & proved that Marty didn't care about winning in the post-season, for if he had, then Gannon would have been in the game by no later than the end of the 1st QTR. One needs to ask themselves this -- how could Marty substitute Gannon in for Grbac after a couple of series when Grbac was struggling to move the Offense in a meaningless season final against NO, but not substitute Gannon in for Grbac after a couple of series when Grbac was struggling to move the Offense in a meaningful post-season game against the Donkeys? Marty was without excuse.

I'm really hopeful that the current Chiefs regime NEVER makes that sort of mistake & hope that they devise a game plan to give the Chiefs a chance to win in Denver -- especially a Defensive scheme that will slow down the Donkeys Offense for 4 QTR's and put Manning under the hardest rush he's seen all year long. led by Hali, of course. I really don't believe that Donks current LT can block Hali all game long and keep Hali at bay without holding him. Question is, will the refs call it when it happens, because I'm willing to bet the farm that it will happen & multiple times.
    LT made a LOT of guys fumble in his day! But when you bring that game up, are you referring to the Browns/Broncos game when Byner fumbled? No, there's no comparison attitude or hype-wise from the Bill Parcells' Giants to the late nineties donks.

When I think back about the situation with Gannon/Grbac and the '97 season...The lesson learned should've been "Stick with the QB that's got the hot hand." Marty didn't, and it handicapped the offense in the middle of a game that was already being choked by bad calls/no calls. While I don't believe that Marty wanted to lose that game, I'm sure there were some front office types that said to themselves, "Hey let's focus on season ticket sales, just win during the regular season, we can raise parking prices..." and I'm sure CP was not wanting to see all his efforts at promoting Elvis Grbac as (another) KC QBOTF waste away on the bench watching a QB (one that CP publicly stated he felt wasn't the long term answer for KC) win ball games. Between all that, playoff hype, facing John Elway hype (again), and just trying to get a team ready to play a game...Marty was in a pressure cooker.

Whatever the circumstances, sometimes you got to just make life simple, fix the obvious and deal with the backlash afterwards. Marty didn't. Unfortunately.

Yeah I'd agree...Tamba's going to get held. A lot. It's the Inve$co way. While I can sympathize with a player holding a defender & taking a penalty to keep his teams' vital $95 mil QB healthy, I'll never go along with a ref letting it slide again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Not to say I love one kid over another, but the Chiefs have a few of those character guys. Derrick Johnson is tops of my list. The guy is a class A role Model. Eric Berry is another.

D Bowe is a great community guy even though I wish he would stop talking to the media to help his identity.
    Wow, D Bowe just threw this one compliment back at me. Apparently just talking to the media is not the only stupid thing he excels at.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123