Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm sorry Chiefs fans...

Default I'm sorry Chiefs fans...

I want to start out by saying that I am not a Chiefs fan, but I do have a great respect for the team and Andy Reid. The Chiefs have made it further than anyone could have ever dreamed and they deserve it too. All that aside, with your upcoming game in Denver, I have to voice one concern...

Alex Smith.

Now before you call me a "hater," hear me out. I am a 49ers fan that wanted badly for Alex to do good and when Harbaugh came in, my wishes seemed to come true. The team made it all the way to the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl was just around the corner. Of course, as you all know, Kyle Williams had something to say about that (2 muffed punts). To me, however, Kyle Williams did not deserve all the blame. Alex Smith was only 1 for 13 on third downs, 1 for 13! Still, all the focus was on Kyle Williams.

The point I am trying to make here is that the Chiefs with Alex might, with enough heart, get past Denver this upcoming Sunday and, down the road they might even win a playoff game with Alex, but the Super Bowl is just not a plausible goal with him. The Chiefs, as far as I can tell, are just like the 2011 49ers, except with a weaker run game. Although Alex Smith might not blatantly lose you a play-off game, he will set you up for a loss. It might be in the form of a fumble from Charles or a muffed punt, after Alex puts the team in that situation by, say, going 1 for 13 on third downs. After the loss, the blame will not be on Alex, but you will know, just like I did 2 years ago, that he is to blame.

I hope I am wrong about this, I really do (You do not know how bad I want to see a 49ers-Chiefs Super Bowl). Still, I know you know, deep down inside, that Alex is a liability.

Again, I am sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustSaying View Post
    My premise was if Smith were to not make mistakes while producing, he would be a better QB. Also, the QB position is the most important in the game, so a lot of the responsibility of scoring is on him.

I take it you didn't watch this team a year ago. The offense had a number of games where they were producing the problem is they were so far behind because of all the mistakes that it really didn't matter. Getting great production out of the QB is big. It can really help but mistakes by a QB are just as harmful to a team if not more. Any Chiefs fan who sat through last year can tell you that.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

My premise was if Smith were to not make mistakes while producing, he would be a better QB. Also, the QB position is the most important in the game, so a lot of the responsibility of scoring is on him.
    Well then your premise is not, then, clearly stated. You said: "Alex will play mistake-free football...but is that a good thing when he is not producing?" This insinuates that a QB that plays "mistake-free football" is, somehow, "not producing". Anytime a QB plays without making mistakes is a good thing, there are QBs every week that produce "mistake-free" football whose team does not win. Does that mean that the QB is at fault? I reject the narrative that states because of the importance of the QB position that the responsibility for scoring is somehow disproportionally placed on him. Linemen have to block, receivers have to get open and catch the ball, running backs have to find the holes and utilize the blocking schemes as well as a QB that must be smart with the ball, hand it off cleanly, have good down field vision, and make good throws. You make it sound as if the QB must do it all, he does have a supporting cast.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 11-10-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I have heard the needs to take some shots talk all year long on forums those same people who say that would jump all over him if he took those shots and they were picks. If Alex were making a ton of mistakes then there's 0 chance that this team is 9-0 at the bye week. I swear it's like people forgot last season. Do people no remember what turnovers do to a team. How many games did we lose because of mistakes last year? UGGGGGH It's just mind blowing to me that people want Alex to be more risky and risk turning the ball over when that's all the offense did a year ago.

And you're right it's not just on the QB to put up points. Alex Smith can't pass block for himself. Alex Smith can't catch the ball for Dexter Mccluster when he puts the ball right on Dexter's hands. Alex Smith can't catch the ball for Bowe. Alex Smith can't get the Wrs open that's their job. This is not an offense that's being held back by the QB. This is an offense that is being held back by the offense as a whole. Is Alex a part of that Yep but he's not alone. This whole offensive unit needs to get their stuff together. Alex included but that goes for the other 10 guys on the field and the playcaller as well.
    Very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Well then your premise is not, then, clearly stated. You said: "Alex will play mistake-free football...but is that a good thing when he is not producing?" This insinuates that a QB that plays "mistake-free football" is, somehow, "not producing". Anytime a QB plays without making mistakes is a good thing, there are QBs every week that produce "mistake-free" football whose team does not win. Does that mean that the QB is at fault? I reject the narrative that states because of the importance of the QB position that the responsibility for scoring is somehow disproportionally placed on him. Linemen have to block, receivers have to get open and catch the ball, running backs have to find the holes and utilize the blocking schemes as well as a QB that must be smart with the ball, hand it off cleanly, have good down field vision, and make good throws. You make it sound as if the QB must do it all, he does have a supporting cast.
    It is clearly stated. The implication is that "mistake-free football" does not automatically translate into production, as is the case with Alex Smith. My original post was clear, you are going to win games with Alex Smith, but Alex Smith is not going to win you games.

And you are in a very small minority if you do not think the QB is the most important position on an offense. There is a reason that the Colts post-Manning and pre-Luck were so horrible. Alex Smith was an upgrade for the Chiefs, I know that, but he cannot get to the big game.

It is clearly stated. The implication is that "mistake-free football" does not automatically translate into production, as is the case with Alex Smith. My original post was clear, you are going to win games with Alex Smith, but Alex Smith is not going to win you games.

And you are in a very small minority if you do not think the QB is the most important position on an offense. There is a reason that the Colts post-Manning and pre-Luck were so horrible. Alex Smith was an upgrade for the Chiefs, I know that, but he cannot get to the big game.
    I don't think anyone has argued that QB is the most important position. What's being said is that a QB is going to have a hard time producing if the guys around him are not doing their job. If an O line isn't giving the Qb time to throw then the QB is going to have a hard time making plays. If wrs are dropping perfectly thrown balls then the QB is going to have a hard time producing. Just like the Wrs are going to have a hard time producing if the QB isn't throwing the ball well. I don't know how much of the Chiefs you've watched this year but we have seen to much of all the above. The point that was made is that a QB can't do it alone. The offense as a whole is going to have to pick it up. Otherwise if Smith does pick it up it won't make much of a difference. The QB can pass block. The QB can't catch the ball for his WRs. That's not saying the QB isn't important just that he can't do it all by himself
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The above quoted in bold makes no sense. QB's cannot and do not and have never won games by themselves, EVER. Great QB play can make a team better, yes. Alex has played well enough in KC to make the Chiefs better.

And you are in a very small minority if you do not think the QB is the most important position on an offense.
    That's NOT what Chiefster is saying. You are taking what Chiefster is telling you and ripping it out of context. Chiefster is telling you the QB, no matter who he is can't do it by himself, which is in no way shape or form saying the QB isn't important.

. There is a reason that the Colts post-Manning and pre-Luck were so horrible.
    The Colts flat out quit in 2011. When Manning was lost for that season, they tanked it. They didn't even try to get a viable substitute at any time, so they tanked it for the #1 overall pick to get Luck.

Alex Smith was an upgrade for the Chiefs, I know that, but he cannot get to the big game.
    How do you know that? You don't. It sounds like wishful thinking out of fear that if he does get to the big game, then the Niners decision to forsake Smith and then trade him won't look so good, now will it?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I have heard the needs to take some shots talk all year long on forums those same people who say that would jump all over him if he took those shots and they were picks. If Alex were making a ton of mistakes then there's 0 chance that this team is 9-0 at the bye week. I swear it's like people forgot last season. Do people no remember what turnovers do to a team. How many games did we lose because of mistakes last year? UGGGGGH It's just mind blowing to me that people want Alex to be more risky and risk turning the ball over when that's all the offense did a year ago.

And you're right it's not just on the QB to put up points. Alex Smith can't pass block for himself. Alex Smith can't catch the ball for Dexter Mccluster when he puts the ball right on Dexter's hands. Alex Smith can't catch the ball for Bowe. Alex Smith can't get the Wrs open that's their job. This is not an offense that's being held back by the QB. This is an offense that is being held back by the offense as a whole. Is Alex a part of that Yep but he's not alone. This whole offensive unit needs to get their stuff together. Alex included but that goes for the other 10 guys on the field and the playcaller as well.
    I for one would love for Alex to take some deep shots. I dont care so much that he completes them, as long as it isn't an INT. I'd like to see him chuck it down field, even if the guy is covered, as long as he puts it just out of bounds of out of reach of everyone. Sounds crazy, but it will open up things for the rest of the offense. Right now, other teams know Smith isn't going to take a deep shot unless he has time to throw it and the receivr is wide open. As a result, the D doesn't have to worry about covering deep, meaning they can put more people in short coverage. I haven't watched any game film, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is why our offense has been sputtering lately. It is what I would do if I were a DC, I'm going to keep blitzing and covering the short routes until you prove to me you can beat me deep, or will even try to throw it deep.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The above quoted in bold makes no sense. QB's cannot and do not and have never won games by themselves, EVER. Great QB play can make a team better, yes. Alex has played well enough in KC to make the Chiefs better.

That's NOT what Chiefster is saying. You are taking what Chiefster is telling you and ripping it out of context. Chiefster is telling you the QB, no matter who he is can't do it by himself, which is in no way shape or form saying the QB isn't important.

The Colts flat out quit in 2011. When Manning was lost for that season, they tanked it. They didn't even try to get a viable substitute at any time, so they tanked it for the #1 overall pick to get Luck.

How do you know that? You don't. It sounds like wishful thinking out of fear that if he does get to the big game, then the Niners decision to forsake Smith and then trade him won't look so good, now will it?
    Are you serious? Quarterbacks CAN win you games, I never said by themselves. Quarterbacks lead their teams down the field. Sometimes a QB carries a team and sometimes a defense does.

Again I never said QBs have to do it by themselves.

Right now the team is carrying Alex, with Alex trying his hardest not to mess it up.

And how do I know that Alex will not make it to the big game? Past experiences. Like I said I want him to get there, but it is not likely at all. If past experiences is not a good indicator of future performance, I do not know what else is.

And yes, the Colts did tank their season for Luck, but their QB at that moment was horrible, thus making the team horrible.

Are you serious? Quarterbacks CAN win you games, I never said by themselves. Quarterbacks lead their teams down the field. Sometimes a QB carries a team and sometimes a defense does.

Again I never said QBs have to do it by themselves.

Right now the team is carrying Alex, with Alex trying his hardest not to mess it up.

And how do I know that Alex will not make it to the big game? Past experiences. Like I said I want him to get there, but it is not likely at all. If past experiences is not a good indicator of future performance, I do not know what else is.

And yes, the Colts did tank their season for Luck, but their QB at that moment was horrible, thus making the team horrible.
    Yes, I'm serious. QB's cannot pass block for themselves or catch their own passes. How can you say the team is carrying Alex when on multiple occasions he laid the ball right in the hand of his receivers and they've dropped it? Alex playing mistake-free football is helping to carry this team as much as anything.

Past experience? That amounts to one game where 2 muffed punts cost the Niners the game. No credibility to that whatsoever.

I want to start out by saying that I am not a Chiefs fan, but I do have a great respect for the team and Andy Reid. The Chiefs have made it further than anyone could have ever dreamed and they deserve it too. All that aside, with your upcoming game in Denver, I have to voice one concern...

Alex Smith.

Now before you call me a "hater," hear me out. I am a 49ers fan that wanted badly for Alex to do good and when Harbaugh came in, my wishes seemed to come true. The team made it all the way to the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl was just around the corner. Of course, as you all know, Kyle Williams had something to say about that (2 muffed punts). To me, however, Kyle Williams did not deserve all the blame. Alex Smith was only 1 for 13 on third downs, 1 for 13! Still, all the focus was on Kyle Williams.

The point I am trying to make here is that the Chiefs with Alex might, with enough heart, get past Denver this upcoming Sunday and, down the road they might even win a playoff game with Alex, but the Super Bowl is just not a plausible goal with him. The Chiefs, as far as I can tell, are just like the 2011 49ers, except with a weaker run game. Although Alex Smith might not blatantly lose you a play-off game, he will set you up for a loss. It might be in the form of a fumble from Charles or a muffed punt, after Alex puts the team in that situation by, say, going 1 for 13 on third downs. After the loss, the blame will not be on Alex, but you will know, just like I did 2 years ago, that he is to blame.

I hope I am wrong about this, I really do (You do not know how bad I want to see a 49ers-Chiefs Super Bowl). Still, I know you know, deep down inside, that Alex is a liability.

Again, I am sorry.
    Lame.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast