Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm sorry Chiefs fans...

Default I'm sorry Chiefs fans...

I want to start out by saying that I am not a Chiefs fan, but I do have a great respect for the team and Andy Reid. The Chiefs have made it further than anyone could have ever dreamed and they deserve it too. All that aside, with your upcoming game in Denver, I have to voice one concern...

Alex Smith.

Now before you call me a "hater," hear me out. I am a 49ers fan that wanted badly for Alex to do good and when Harbaugh came in, my wishes seemed to come true. The team made it all the way to the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl was just around the corner. Of course, as you all know, Kyle Williams had something to say about that (2 muffed punts). To me, however, Kyle Williams did not deserve all the blame. Alex Smith was only 1 for 13 on third downs, 1 for 13! Still, all the focus was on Kyle Williams.

The point I am trying to make here is that the Chiefs with Alex might, with enough heart, get past Denver this upcoming Sunday and, down the road they might even win a playoff game with Alex, but the Super Bowl is just not a plausible goal with him. The Chiefs, as far as I can tell, are just like the 2011 49ers, except with a weaker run game. Although Alex Smith might not blatantly lose you a play-off game, he will set you up for a loss. It might be in the form of a fumble from Charles or a muffed punt, after Alex puts the team in that situation by, say, going 1 for 13 on third downs. After the loss, the blame will not be on Alex, but you will know, just like I did 2 years ago, that he is to blame.

I hope I am wrong about this, I really do (You do not know how bad I want to see a 49ers-Chiefs Super Bowl). Still, I know you know, deep down inside, that Alex is a liability.

Again, I am sorry.

I dont think you're telling us anything we dont already know. Alex was the best we could get at the time. He is not a franchise QB. But with the right stuff around him I think this team can be a Super Bowl contender. Alex is great at one thing, not losing the game. Also, we dont know what he can do because we have never had to come from behind more than a touchdown. Every time this team needed something they got it whether it was a goal line stop or a touchdown. They do what they need to do and take zero chances doing it. It may not be exciting but it is effective. And a chiefs 49ers Super Bowl would be great. I say if we can get home field advantage through the playoffs we have a good shot at it.

Sorry, but there are good many 49er fans that believe if Alex had been their QB in that last SB against the Ravens, that the Niners would have won.

Any QB can have games where they don't have success on 3rd downs, but those 2 muffed punts DID cost the 49ers that game, as it provided the Giants with scoring opportunities they never should have had that made the difference in that game. If those muffed punts hadn't occurred and the Niners had won, it's my belief they would have beaten the Pats with Alex at the helm in the SB. Besides, didn't Alex make some great plays the week before against the Saints to help them get to that NFC title game?

Alex has held up very well under pressure in KC and we are aware that Alex cannot do the blocking for his O-Line or catch the ball for his receivers. The Chiefs O-Line hasn't really stepped up, nor have the Chiefs receivers stepped up to help Alex out....yet.

Oh boy this again

Alex Smith is not a qb that you're going to win because of. But he's a good Qb that you can win with. Sure he didn't convert 3rd downs in that game against the Giants. But here's the thing. Despite that he still had his team in position to win the football game. Kyle Williams lost that game not Alex Smith. To argue that is just silly. Kyle Williams took away 2 possessions from the 49ers offense before they even had a chance. That stopped them from having any chance to score. And it gave the Giants 2 chances to score. Like it or not Alex Smith had very little to do with that loss. That's not to say he had nothing to do with the loss. Football is a team game and when you lose every player that played had something to do with it in some way.

Alex Smith is a good part of the reason that this team is 9-0 and has had the great turnaround that it has. He has taken care of the ball. He has led an offense that for the most part has kept control of the game more then they have made the defense be on the field. That has helped the defense. And he has make Chicken salad out of Chicken well you know a number of times by using his legs to keep drives going. Alex is one of the better parts of the offense. The offense has got to get better Alex included but the Chiefs are winning in part due to Alex Smith.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Thanks for the concern ImJustSaying, but you really needn't be so. We are all big boys and girls who are quite capable of assessing for ourselves the kind of QB we have and what, if any, blame / credit to give him.

Default AL Smith --

Alex Smith is above average as he proved in SF. He is good at the helm and he doesn't turn the ball over. We can look around the NFL and see the type of QBs that are in the top 5 say, and the mistakes or gambles they take and turn the ball over. Viz the Dallas QB -- he seems to make mistakes that are costly, when it counts. I am not exactly knocking him either because his numbers are up there -- but ill timed turnovers kill winning drives and give up the ball at the exact wrong time.

Al Smith doesn't do this.

As far as I am concerned, Al Smith is having the same problem with the offense as QBs in Philly had -- playcalling. Do I think he is in the top 5? no. But he is probably in the top 10. It will all depend upon the KC offense and keep in mind, this team is only 9 games old in experience. We have seen glimpses of what the offense can do. Lets say they go 3-4 the rest of the way. That is 12-4 for a turnaround. Smith has some great players around him on offense and sooner or later the offense will meld -- but I firmly believe that play calling is a problem and this is Reid and Reid has had what I regard, a problem with it. If he doesn't trust his OC to do it, he chose the wrong coordinator.

The second problem is, with playcalling set up for the passing game, the Chiefs are not using the ground game effectively, hell, they have Charles, Sherman< Davis and others. If you are going west coast or a version of it, you have to run the football. If you are play action, you have to run the football. This playcalling presents a problem to the offensive line -- if I can sit and know they are passing 7 of 10 plays, the defense can as well. This gives the rushers a better opportunity to over come the offensive line -- and they have, forcing Smith out of pocket and not a planned rollout...It is not working because of play calling for these two reasons and if the O-line is failing, then I think it goes back to play calling too.

David Bell - Northern Idaho(Fan since 63)...

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Oh boy this again

Alex Smith is not a qb that you're going to win because of. But he's a good Qb that you can win with. Sure he didn't convert 3rd downs in that game against the Giants. But here's the thing. Despite that he still had his team in position to win the football game. Kyle Williams lost that game not Alex Smith. To argue that is just silly. Kyle Williams took away 2 possessions from the 49ers offense before they even had a chance. That stopped them from having any chance to score. And it gave the Giants 2 chances to score. Like it or not Alex Smith had very little to do with that loss. That's not to say he had nothing to do with the loss. Football is a team game and when you lose every player that played had something to do with it in some way.

Alex Smith is a good part of the reason that this team is 9-0 and has had the great turnaround that it has. He has taken care of the ball. He has led an offense that for the most part has kept control of the game more then they have made the defense be on the field. That has helped the defense. And he has make Chicken salad out of Chicken well you know a number of times by using his legs to keep drives going. Alex is one of the better parts of the offense. The offense has got to get better Alex included but the Chiefs are winning in part due to Alex Smith.

^^ Yes, playcalling has been a part of the problem. They threw 24 passes in the 1st half against Buffalo as opposed to only 7 runs and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dai_sca View Post
    Alex Smith is above average as he proved in SF. He is good at the helm and he doesn't turn the ball over. We can look around the NFL and see the type of QBs that are in the top 5 say, and the mistakes or gambles they take and turn the ball over. Viz the Dallas QB -- he seems to make mistakes that are costly, when it counts. I am not exactly knocking him either because his numbers are up there -- but ill timed turnovers kill winning drives and give up the ball at the exact wrong time.

Al Smith doesn't do this.

As far as I am concerned, Al Smith is having the same problem with the offense as QBs in Philly had -- playcalling. Do I think he is in the top 5? no. But he is probably in the top 10. It will all depend upon the KC offense and keep in mind, this team is only 9 games old in experience. We have seen glimpses of what the offense can do. Lets say they go 3-4 the rest of the way. That is 12-4 for a turnaround. Smith has some great players around him on offense and sooner or later the offense will meld -- but I firmly believe that play calling is a problem and this is Reid and Reid has had what I regard, a problem with it. If he doesn't trust his OC to do it, he chose the wrong coordinator.

The second problem is, with playcalling set up for the passing game, the Chiefs are not using the ground game effectively, hell, they have Charles, Sherman< Davis and others. If you are going west coast or a version of it, you have to run the football. If you are play action, you have to run the football. This playcalling presents a problem to the offensive line -- if I can sit and know they are passing 7 of 10 plays, the defense can as well. This gives the rushers a better opportunity to over come the offensive line -- and they have, forcing Smith out of pocket and not a planned rollout...It is not working because of play calling for these two reasons and if the O-line is failing, then I think it goes back to play calling too.

David Bell - Northern Idaho(Fan since 63)...
    Nice post

I agree 100% that playcalling is a big factor in the offense. Just look at the first half against the Bills 27 passes to 7 runs. That's just not going to get the job done. Play action doesn't work if you don't show that you are willing to run the ball. It has been something that Reid has allowed to happen throughout his time as an NFL head coach. Charles is one of the best Rbs in the NFL there's no reason that he shouldn't get the ball in the running game. I think they need to use him less in the passing game more in the running game. They are really going to need to run the ball and control the clock if they are going to get the win in Denver. That's the key to beating them use the running game work the clock keep Manning on the sideline.

The O line has been pretty lackluster to say the least. They are a young unit what concerns me is the guy who is the vet of the group who spent the offseason telling everyone that he was top 5 has played closer to lower 5 then top 5. There's some promise in the current guys but they have to start getting it done on the field. If this keeps up then I expect the first day of the offseason to see the O line coach get his walking papers.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Alex Smith was the last QB to win at Seattle btw.

your post was so 'open ended' it was unreal.

this coming from someone whom likes to hypothesize quite often.

you make every mistake by another player alex's fault?

not a huge fan of alex, but he unlike cassel, has not thrown 30 thousand interceptions in one half of one season.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast