Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Dwayne Bowe apologizes, lawyer says he’s “100% innocent”

Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Dwayne Bowe apologizes, lawyer says he’s “100% innocent”

0 Not allowed!
    By Michael David Smith
    Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe has issued a brief apology after he was arrested on a marijuana possession charge. “I apologize to the Hunt Family, Coach Reid, my teammates and Chiefs fans for the distraction I have caused the team this week,” Bowe said in a statement. “Due to the nature of the pending matter, I… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
    Either his lawyer is an idiot which would only make sense since Bowe hired him, or he has reason to believe he is innocent. Why would a guy take on a case like this an publicly announce that Bowe is innocent knowing he will lose the case hurting his reputation for winning these types of cases.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 326

0 Not allowed!
    DB's lawyer is playing the game. That is what lawyers do. This case will never go to trial. As long as there is a purpose to delaying it vis a vis an NFL suspension, the attorney will play it like he is going to go to trial, but once it is clear what the NFL is going to do this case will be settled with a plea bargain. Unless I am mistaken it is a misdemeanor anyway. Nobody takes a misdemeanor to trial. This case will be settled with a plea deal but not until the NFL decides what action they are going to take.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
    but isn't a plea bargain a guilty confession to lesser the sentence. If he is 100% innocent, why would he plea for a bargain instead of fighting to have the case dropped by the DA clearing him as 100% innocent.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 58

0 Not allowed!
    The fact that Bowe told the arresting officer that he and his passenger smoked a little weed in the car waiting at the airport may present a bit of a problem with his lawyer's 100% innocent claim.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    DB's lawyer is playing the game. That is what lawyers do. This case will never go to trial. As long as there is a purpose to delaying it vis a vis an NFL suspension, the attorney will play it like he is going to go to trial, but once it is clear what the NFL is going to do this case will be settled with a plea bargain. Unless I am mistaken it is a misdemeanor anyway. Nobody takes a misdemeanor to trial. This case will be settled with a plea deal but not until the NFL decides what action they are going to take.
    As I understand it, the NFL can't hand down any disciplinary action until after the case is settled, so I don't know how his lawyer can wait until he knows what action the NFL will take before settling the case. Unless they work out an agreement "off the record" with the NFL beforehand.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

Originally Posted by Name Withheld
    I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 76

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Either his lawyer is an idiot which would only make sense since Bowe hired him, or he has reason to believe he is innocent. Why would a guy take on a case like this an publicly announce that Bowe is innocent knowing he will lose the case hurting his reputation for winning these types of cases.
    Bowe's lawyer is just being a good lawyer. He's saying what he has to say. He can't publicly state oh ya he's guilty no doubt about it if Bowe is going to try to get some way out of it. After the case I bet his lawyer and Bowe play it like he made a mistake and he has learned his lesson BLAH BLAH BLAH

Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 76

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    The fact that Bowe told the arresting officer that he and his passenger smoked a little weed in the car waiting at the airport may present a bit of a problem with his lawyer's 100% innocent claim.

This was reported but from what I heard on ESPN radio this after noon the police department has said that this is not true. There will be a lot of BS reports out there with this I bet

Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 326

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    but isn't a plea bargain a guilty confession to lesser the sentence. If he is 100% innocent, why would he plea for a bargain instead of fighting to have the case dropped by the DA clearing him as 100% innocent.
    Plea bargains are sometimes struck to lessen a sentence. More often they are struck just to make the thing go away. Something like 90% of cases are plea bargained in one way or another. VERY few cases ever actually go to trial. An easy example of what MIGHT happen here is DB pleads guilty to speeding and his friend (who claimed the pot was his) gets what is called in Md "Probation Before Judgement" and in Ct is called by another name whose name escapes me at the moment. The gist of it is that the case gets "continued" for a certain amount of time and for that time period the person in question is on "probation". If they don't get in any more trouble during the probation period then the charges get dropped.

Under this scenario, DB would walk away "innocent" and his friend who claimed the pot was his would walk away innocent if he didn't get in any trouble for a while.

As I understand it, Mo and Ks have tougher pot laws than most states but this case based on the amounts of pot is a joke. If it was just some working class guy on his way home from work with this little weed in his pocket and he had no previous criminal history he would walk away with no conviction record at all. Because it is DB it is "high profile" but $10 will get you $20 that DB walks away from this with nothing on his record about marijuana.

Let me be clear....DB's real crime here is UTTER STUPIDITY!!!!! The "legal problems" are likely to go away. The career problems are not likely to go away so easily.

DB has potentially damaged the Chiefs season and for the money he makes he is damned well supposed to be more responsible than that. I couldn't care less that he smoked some pot. And I figure he did. But he damned well is supposed to be smart enough to only do it in places where he can't get in trouble for it.

My only objection to what he did is the problems it may make for our Chiefs. His stupidity shows that he puts himself ahead of the team and for that I can not forgive him.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 138

0 Not allowed!
    Plea bargains are sometimes struck to lessen a sentence. More often they are struck just to make the thing go away. Something like 90% of cases are plea bargained in one way or another. VERY few cases ever actually go to trial. An easy example of what MIGHT happen here is DB pleads guilty to speeding and his friend (who claimed the pot was his) gets what is called in Md "Probation Before Judgement" and in Ct is called by another name whose name escapes me at the moment. The gist of it is that the case gets "continued" for a certain amount of time and for that time period the person in question is on "probation". If they don't get in any more trouble during the probation period then the charges get dropped.

Under this scenario, DB would walk away "innocent" and his friend who claimed the pot was his would walk away innocent if he didn't get in any trouble for a while.

As I understand it, Mo and Ks have tougher pot laws than most states but this case based on the amounts of pot is a joke. If it was just some working class guy on his way home from work with this little weed in his pocket and he had no previous criminal history he would walk away with no conviction record at all. Because it is DB it is "high profile" but $10 will get you $20 that DB walks away from this with nothing on his record about marijuana.

Let me be clear....DB's real crime here is UTTER STUPIDITY!!!!! The "legal problems" are likely to go away. The career problems are not likely to go away so easily.

DB has potentially damaged the Chiefs season and for the money he makes he is damned well supposed to be more responsible than that. I couldn't care less that he smoked some pot. And I figure he did. But he damned well is supposed to be smart enough to only do it in places where he can't get in trouble for it.

My only objection to what he did is the problems it may make for our Chiefs. His stupidity shows that he puts himself ahead of the team and for that I can not forgive him.
    Legally, this is what I expect to happen. Unless they found the weed in DB's pocket, then someone else will claim it was their weed (whether it was or not, Im sure that friend may get a nice christmas present from Bowe if he claims it is his). In most states, an average joe would probably walk out of court with some community service and maybe even nothing permanently on their record.

The question is what will the league do in that scenario.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 582
    Given: 773

0 Not allowed!
    You may be on to something there. Could ultimately wind up as an out of court settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Legally, this is what I expect to happen. Unless they found the weed in DB's pocket, then someone else will claim it was their weed (whether it was or not, Im sure that friend may get a nice christmas present from Bowe if he claims it is his). In most states, an average joe would probably walk out of court with some community service and maybe even nothing permanently on their record.

The question is what will the league do in that scenario.

The league won't do anything unless it's proven that the weed was DB's and/or if he fails a urinalysis test. The only thing thus far, that DB has been proven guilty for is a speeding ticket & the league doesn't hand out suspensions for that.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 11-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast