Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm just curious......

Default I'm just curious......

When did the donkeys become PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE in Chiefsland? As a Chiefs fan I go back a long way and to me the raiders will always be the prime enemy. Miami comes in second for that Christmas Day game all those years ago. For me the donks are just that pipsqueek we beat the hell out of from time to time. I know that is not the way it really is any more, but I'm not the sort to let go of a grudge.

When did the donkeys become a more hated enemy than the raiders and those damned fish from Florida????
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 11-15-2013 at 12:13 AM.

I guess it is largely a generational thing. If you became a Chiefs fan in the '60s, '70s or early in the '80s I guess the prime enemy is the raiders. If you became a Chiefs fan in the '90s or later then I guess the donkeys are the most hated team. I hates me some donkeys, but far and away the team I hate the most is oakland. Doesn't help that the first blown replay call was in a game against the raiders. The ruling on the field was "Pass incomplete". The ruling from the booth was "Pass is complete". The stupid F'ing zebras heard "Pass Incomplete" and the ruling on the field stood. That stupidity by the zebras cost KC a LOOOONG completion and ultimately the game. I HATES me some raiders.

I believe, if records and standings were set evenly with The Donkos and The Raiders, The Raider rivalry would still be the bigger.

But the addition of Peyton Manning, especially when he snubbed us, is a big brick inthe foundation of the current rivalry we have with Denver. Manning has ended our postseason a couplle of times himself, just as Elway did in his era. And that was before he snubbed us and joined a divisional rival.

Last year, our Raiders games were bigger, because we really were not competing for anything more than bragging rights. Whereas this season, we are in direct competition with the Peyton Manning for the dcivisional crown, and the best record in The NFL.

We are currently set-up for some major swings in the balance of rivalries here. These two games are HUGE. And there could be a whole lot of anger built-up between the two fanbases, not to mention the possibility of a third meeting in the playoffs.

So long as we are competing with The Broncos, and not The Raiders, for high stakes, THAT rivalry will grow.

I live in bronco country so yeah.

But it's usually whoever is holding you back or trying to take the top sport from you, so if SD was the 8-1 team, them they'd be the team to hate

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    For me it was the '92 season. We were leading them at halftime like 16-3, but Elway was really in Marty's head at that point, and brought them back to win it. It was afterwards with Shannon Sharpe on the sideline yapping away like he'd just won the SB that really irked me, and Elway's ego really began to inflate that year. Payback happened when they came to Arrowhead on the last game of the season, and we absolutely destroyed them, like 38-21, with most of their points scored when Marty switched back to a prevent defense out of pity. Even Jaycie Peterson sacked Elway that game.

The Broncos team I used to root for were beginning to turn into arrogant loudmouth jerks that their coach couldn't handle. They were streaky under Wade Phillips, and the front office at that point started just trying to give T. Elway anything he wanted for his passing game, which resulted in some really really cruddy seasons and playoff losses to underdog teams. They didn't make a serious attempt at building a running game until Shanahan became the head coach.

For a lot of Chiefs' fans it was the '97 & '98 seasons were the reasons to hate the Donks. Enough said.
    The worst part of it was the ridiculously easy schedules that they were given both of those years. During the '80s when Montana and the 49ers were having their great success, the Niners schedules were chock full of tough road games against teams that had been in the post-season the year before.

When the '97 and '98 schedules came out, I looked at the Donkey's schedule and said "you gotta be kidding, the Donkeys do not have to play one single team in their park that made the playoffs the year before through the first 10 games". That was not the case in 1992, when the Donks had to play a 1st place schedule after going 12-4 in 1991 and of course, the Donks got the living hell beaten out of them multiple times in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The worst part of it was the ridiculously easy schedules that they were given both of those years. During the '80s when Montana and the 49ers were having their great success, the Niners schedules were chock full of tough road games against teams that had been in the post-season the year before.

When the '97 and '98 schedules came out, I looked at the Donkey's schedule and said "you gotta be kidding, the Donkeys do not have to play one single team in their park that made the playoffs the year before through the first 10 games". That was not the case in 1992, when the Donks had to play a 1st place schedule after going 12-4 in 1991 and of course, the Donks got the living hell beaten out of them multiple times in 1992.
    Wasn't the schedule premade just like it is now? If so, complaining about the schedule would be like everyone complaining about the chiefs schedule now

Hey doobs-05. Shut the f#ck up !! I told you already that you went to my ignore list. Don't waste tour time with responses to me, as I won't ever see them. I have no interest in your analysis because many of your post seem to indicate you are a closet Donkeys fan drag queen.

Hey doobs-05. Shut the f#ck up !! I told you already that you went to my ignore list. Don't waste tour time with responses to me, as I won't ever see them. I have no interest in your analysis because many of your post seem to indicate you are a closet Donkeys fan drag queen.

Dude calm down. What is your problem. He asks you a legitimate question and you blow up? People apparently cannot disagree with you ever, cuz you always seem to take it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Dude calm down. What is your problem. He asks you a legitimate question and you blow up? People apparently cannot disagree with you ever, cuz you always seem to take it personal.
    I upset him yesterday as well. So it looked like i was searching for his post. I'm probably at fault, but whatever

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I believe, if records and standings were set evenly with The Donkos and The Raiders, The Raider rivalry would still be the bigger.

But the addition of Peyton Manning, especially when he snubbed us, is a big brick inthe foundation of the current rivalry we have with Denver. Manning has ended our postseason a couplle of times himself, just as Elway did in his era. And that was before he snubbed us and joined a divisional rival.

Last year, our Raiders games were bigger, because we really were not competing for anything more than bragging rights. Whereas this season, we are in direct competition with the Peyton Manning for the dcivisional crown, and the best record in The NFL.

We are currently set-up for some major swings in the balance of rivalries here. These two games are HUGE. And there could be a whole lot of anger built-up between the two fanbases, not to mention the possibility of a third meeting in the playoffs.

So long as we are competing with The Broncos, and not The Raiders, for high stakes, THAT rivalry will grow.
    Good points. Plus, the rivalry with the Raiders just never has been as intense as it was in the late 60' and early '70's. The bitter hatred that was there between the Chiefs -- Raiders at that time, has never been as intense since that time, even when the teams were contenders.

Thing with the Donkeys got heated up due to a number of mitigating circumstances that started in the late '80's when Marty became HC and proceeded to keep blowing ball games to Elway and the Donks just like he did in Cleveland.

People forget that during the '60's that Chiefs were 19-1 against the Donkeys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast