Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An overlooked problem with our offense.

Unhappy An overlooked problem with our offense.

I have seen may reasons offered as to why our O is struggling. But I do not remember this one discussed. We jump around blaming the new scheme, the O-line, the QB, the receivers, the OC, the O-line coach, the play calling, etc. But we should not overlook the fact that this offense is sorely lacking in locker room leadership. We simply do not have motivating veteran players on our Offense. The closest I can think of that should have assumed that role are:

1. Alex Smith- All the talk about his game manager label, added to the fact that he simply distrusts his receivers does not earn him a general's credibility among the rest of the O players.

2. Jamaal Charles- Dude is an awesome RB, who performs well on the field. But I have not detected anything in his demeanor as a star player who should demand perfection from his fellow offense players.

3. Branden Albert- He demanded LT money and showed himself pretty selfish in the off season refusing to accept a move to a more suitable position where he can possibly excel. In the process he has been no more than an average LT delaying Fisher's development.

4. Dwaine Bowe- I was really happy with his never say die attitude during the ugly disaster that was 2012. At times he literally carried the offense on his shoulders last year. This year, after the big contract he seems to have lost his focus and desire to play hard. This is the saddest one of all, because he has the talent and the outspoken personality for the leadership role.

5. (Can't think of any other) :(
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 11-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.

I also would hesitate to call that WIDE open, depending on what direction everyone was moving. In the NFL those gaps can be easily closed down by the time the ball gets to the WR if they are already moving toward where the ball is being delivered. If they are moving the other way, then, yes they were WIDE open.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I honestly think it is a WR problem. Think about the WR's we've had in this team over the last 5 years. Have any of them left and had success on other teams? I can't think of any. Matter of fact, I'm struggling to come up with any that have even made the roster in another team. The only receiver that left and had success is Tony Gonzalez. And he was successful in KC. We haven't had good WR's here for a LONG LONG time. Dwayne Bowe is a best we've had and he is a mediocre possession receiver. He's not a good route runner. He can't get separation and drops way too many balls. He's the best we've had by a long shot. We have a good enough running back that we should be able to pass the ball. I would imagine WR will be the #1 need during this coming offseason. We've had too many retreads to count.
    Agreed. Hopefully some of the other recievers start getting in a few reps, go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Agree 100%

As I have said we've tried so many different Qbs we have brought in so many different O linemen we have had many different HC,OCs There is one spot on the offense that we have not tried to address. That's the number 1 WR spot. It's always been assumed that Bowe is that guy. He's a top level number 2 IMO but not a number 1.
    look at the difference in Andrew Luck after they lost Reggie Wayne. Having a good WR that can stretch the field, run good routes, and catch the ball is kind of important in a league that has never been more pass oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    I have seen may reasons offered as to why our O is struggling. But I do not remember this one discussed. We jump around blaming the new scheme, the O-line, the QB, the receivers, the OC, the O-line coach, the play calling, etc. But we should not overlook the fact that this offense is sorely lacking in locker room leadership. We simply do not have motivating veteran players on our Offense. The closest I can think of that should have assumed that role are:

1. Alex Smith- All the talk about his game manager label, added to the fact that he simply distrusts his receivers does not earn him a general's credibility among the rest of the O players.

2. Jamaal Charles- Dude is an awesome RB, who performs well on the field. But I have not detected anything in his demeanor as a star player who should demand perfection from his fellow offense players.

3. Branden Albert- He demanded LT money and showed himself pretty selfish in the off season refusing to accept a move to a more suitable position where he can possibly excel. In the process he has been no more than an average LT delaying Fisher's development.

4. Dwaine Bowe- I was really happy with his never say die attitude during the ugly disaster that was 2012. At times he literally carried the offense on his shoulders last year. This year, after the big contract he seems to have lost his focus and desire to play hard. This is the saddest one of all, because he has the talent and the outspoken personality for the leadership role.

5. (Can't think of any other) :(
    1) I'm not sure it's a matter of distrusting his recievers. Haven't heard or seen anything that tells me there's friction inbetween them, but can imagine there's some frustration over not getting it done offensively. Character-wise, Alex is the type of QB that doesn't let things get him rattled, though, and this has been said publicly by his teammates and also by himself. Why he doesn't pump fake more I'll never understand, he usually does well the few times he tries.

2) JC is just not getting the number of carries that he has in years past. This shouldn't be a surprise. We knew when Reid came onboard that it'd be a pass first offense. With that being said, it's a shame the guy wasn't utilized more in the 2nd & 3rd qtrs last game.

3) No arguments there. It's a shame that couldn't have been worked out in a way that would've made everyone happy, but it didn't. Props to Fisher for being the guy saying he wouldn't mind being a RT.

4) Bowe is as Bowe does. Like JC, he's not getting his number called as much as he did during the 2012 season. Hopefully Bowe will pick himself up after the Riverside incident, like he did under Haley. If he doesn't, my guess is he'll land with another team in a trade, but really doubt he'll be a number one WR on a competitive team.

5) We're 9-1. Bring on the Chargers, hope Johnny Rivers brought his earplugs. Go Chiefs.

I think Alex Smith has very little confidence in this wr group. I think if you get him better receivers that can seperate, and will catch the ball he will not hesitate to throw to those receivers. Here's to hoping we can find a good receiver before JC gets used up. Would live to see a good wr to compliment the running game. Go Chiefs, smash the Bolts and lets get back to what got us to 9 wins!!
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post

5) We're 9-1. Bring on the Chargers, hope Johnny Rivers brought his earplugs. Go Chiefs.
    Now there's a man who leads a life of danger!

***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

So far, Bowe has looked best as a slot receiver, which leaves us with Dexter and Avery on the outside, which frightens vry few

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Now there's a man who leads a life of danger!

"But to every ref he meets, he's no stranger..."

Cautious I can take to a point, but Alex has not shown the accuracy he's allegedly known for. That image of the pass to Sherman is sadly reminiscent of Cassel. I think he should wear one of those electric dog collars during practice and after about 3 seconds he should be zapped. He's got to learn to pass or throw it away. At least he doesn't fumble on every sack like Cassel.

I'll never understand Bowe. He'll make a circus catch and then drop the next pass that hits him square in the hands. Hard to see from tv what he looks like running routes. People say he's dogging them. I can understand to apoint when you rarely even have a pass attempted in your direction game after game. I don't know, but whether he's covered or not Alex should throw it up somewhere he and only he can attempt a big catch and keep at it. That's what we're paying him for, isn't it? Both of them, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
    Cautious I can take to a point, but Alex has not shown the accuracy he's allegedly known for. That image of the pass to Sherman is sadly reminiscent of Cassel.
    I don't know if any of you guys have noticed this, but Alex's short sideway back-field passes seem to get to the receiver/runner too agonizingly slowly. By the time it arrives, there's usually that first defender in the receiver's face. It's kind of pathetic how many of those passes are completed for no gain or even losses. I swear in most cases if they receive that pass a 10th of a second earlier they have a good chance of juking that 1st penetrating defender out and after that who knows how many yards they can actually get before they are brought down. Somebody needs to work with Alex to put more zip into those backfield passes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast