Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: An overlooked problem with our offense.

Unhappy An overlooked problem with our offense.

I have seen may reasons offered as to why our O is struggling. But I do not remember this one discussed. We jump around blaming the new scheme, the O-line, the QB, the receivers, the OC, the O-line coach, the play calling, etc. But we should not overlook the fact that this offense is sorely lacking in locker room leadership. We simply do not have motivating veteran players on our Offense. The closest I can think of that should have assumed that role are:

1. Alex Smith- All the talk about his game manager label, added to the fact that he simply distrusts his receivers does not earn him a general's credibility among the rest of the O players.

2. Jamaal Charles- Dude is an awesome RB, who performs well on the field. But I have not detected anything in his demeanor as a star player who should demand perfection from his fellow offense players.

3. Branden Albert- He demanded LT money and showed himself pretty selfish in the off season refusing to accept a move to a more suitable position where he can possibly excel. In the process he has been no more than an average LT delaying Fisher's development.

4. Dwaine Bowe- I was really happy with his never say die attitude during the ugly disaster that was 2012. At times he literally carried the offense on his shoulders last year. This year, after the big contract he seems to have lost his focus and desire to play hard. This is the saddest one of all, because he has the talent and the outspoken personality for the leadership role.

5. (Can't think of any other) :(
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 11-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.

TY for posting the gif. Everyone was either covered or at least accounted for, except for a small window for Sherman or the WR on Alex's far right. If you look at the line towards the right side, it was coming into Alex, so that would have also made it harder to throw to the WR. Sherman wound up being the better option of bad choices. Again it's a case of not focusing on the catch and securing the ball.

With that being said, I wish he would've taken a shot to the right WR (quick strike closer to the end zone) but if the ball was delivered slow and that safety/CB in deep coverage would've jumped the route...The Chiefs had small windows but it's not like the coverage completely broke down.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post

stare down the middle, turn and thow to sherman (that's what it looks like to me)
    To me it does look like Bowe comes open late. I can't say that Avery was open at all. Mccluster was grabbed which could have been a flag. I don't think it was a horrible choice for Alex to go to Sherman.I also don't know about the stare down the middle part. It's hard for me to see with it going that fast and you can't really see where Alex's eyes are.

At the end of the day I still don't see any reason to put that failed drive on Alex. Sherman was the one who gave the ball back to denver. It's on Sherman. While Bowe did look to come open late it's no automatic that that would have been a TD.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    To me it does look like Bowe comes open late. I can't say that Avery was open at all. Mccluster was grabbed which could have been a flag. I don't think it was a horrible choice for Alex to go to Sherman.I also don't know about the stare down the middle part. It's hard for me to see with it going that fast and you can't really see where Alex's eyes are.

At the end of the day I still don't see any reason to put that failed drive on Alex. Sherman was the one who gave the ball back to denver. It's on Sherman. While Bowe did look to come open late it's no automatic that that would have been a TD.
    Agreed. The way the coverage was setup, Alex did a smart thing NOT throwing to Avery, it looked like the CB was "baiting" Alex by backing off of Avery just enough to make him try to throw it, and Alex didn't bite. Bowe had more space, but similar coverage, and did have the first man beat, so that's why I say he had a SMALL window.

If that play had been run from midfield, then Alex might have been able to pump-fake to Sherman and throw over the top to Bowe if the deep Safety bit on the pump-fake, but being the Chiefs were inside the 20-yard line, I'm not so sure that would have worked because Bowe quickly ran out of real estate. Bottom line is Sherman needed to put both arms over the football & get down, but he didn't and it got knocked loose when he took the 2nd hit.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456