Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An overlooked problem with our offense.

Unhappy An overlooked problem with our offense.

I have seen may reasons offered as to why our O is struggling. But I do not remember this one discussed. We jump around blaming the new scheme, the O-line, the QB, the receivers, the OC, the O-line coach, the play calling, etc. But we should not overlook the fact that this offense is sorely lacking in locker room leadership. We simply do not have motivating veteran players on our Offense. The closest I can think of that should have assumed that role are:

1. Alex Smith- All the talk about his game manager label, added to the fact that he simply distrusts his receivers does not earn him a general's credibility among the rest of the O players.

2. Jamaal Charles- Dude is an awesome RB, who performs well on the field. But I have not detected anything in his demeanor as a star player who should demand perfection from his fellow offense players.

3. Branden Albert- He demanded LT money and showed himself pretty selfish in the off season refusing to accept a move to a more suitable position where he can possibly excel. In the process he has been no more than an average LT delaying Fisher's development.

4. Dwaine Bowe- I was really happy with his never say die attitude during the ugly disaster that was 2012. At times he literally carried the offense on his shoulders last year. This year, after the big contract he seems to have lost his focus and desire to play hard. This is the saddest one of all, because he has the talent and the outspoken personality for the leadership role.

5. (Can't think of any other) :(
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 11-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.

i think reid needs to be a bit tighter in the accountability aspect of his job in relationship to his players.

On the topic of Smith and deep passes. According to this ESPN article, Smith is the most accurate QB in passes over 20 yards. In the article they count dropped passes as completions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-bad-deep-ball

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    On the topic of Smith and deep passes. According to this ESPN article, Smith is the most accurate QB in passes over 20 yards. In the article they count dropped passes as completions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-bad-deep-ball

I actually agree with the comment on that article that if you're going to do that with Alex you have to do it for all other QBs before you can say he's the most accurate. Other Qbs have drops to. But I think for sure he would be higher up there then he is now he has had more drops then most
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

This doesn't really surprise me. One of the good things about Alex is that he does not "force" things. If he is not confident that he has a high chance of making the completion, he won't throw the pass. So he has very few balls intercepted.

As the article said......."He doesn’t attempt many of those throws. Passes of more than 20 yards make up only 6.1 percent of Smith’s throws, the lowest percentage in the league for any quarterback who has attempted one this season".

Smith has completed 7 of 22 passes over 20 yards and has had 3 passes over 20 yards DROPPED. 43% as many drops as catches!

This backs up what has been said in many other threads. We need to take a long hard look at our receivers in the off-season.

We need some receivers and we also need to look hard at out O-line. Though I think improving our receivers is more pressing that messing with our O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I actually agree with the comment on that article that if you're going to do that with Alex you have to do it for all other QBs before you can say he's the most accurate. Other Qbs have drops to. But I think for sure he would be higher up there then he is now he has had more drops then most
    They did do the same statistical manipulation for the other QBs: "Pro Football Focus includes dropped passes as completions in this statistical category for Smith and all NFL quarterbacks."

When I watched the Donkey game, I was pleasantly reminded at how accurate he can be when throwing downfield. He doesnt throw a rocket, but he puts it where only our guy will get it.

ctchiefsfan,

What is really telling is Alex's completion percentage of less than 60% since most of his throws are in the 5-15 yard range & it shows the deficiency of the Chiefs receivers being unable to get separation and get open and catch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ctchiefsfan,

What is really telling is Alex's completion percentage of less than 60% since most of his throws are in the 5-15 yard range & it shows the deficiency of the Chiefs receivers being unable to get separation and get open and catch the ball.
    One really has to wonder if we need a new receivers coach. Alex throws a decent ball. Why aren't they being caught more often? Is it the receivers themselves or are they just not being coached right? Probably some of both I guess. Certainly Reid and Sutton have shown us what a difference the right coach makes.

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ctchiefsfan,

There's the elephant in the room. It'll make a good opportunity for us as fans to sit back and see if Reid can fix the obvious. It'll fall on Dorsey's shoulders in the offseason to find us some better talent at WR, or at least add some depth. Right now, though, it's in Reid's & the coaching staff's hands to try and correct. The merry go round at TE has finally settled down some with Fasano's return. Let's see if they start throwing the ball more to Fasano & Mcgrath, maybe started rotating some of the recievers or running backs off the bench and see what happens there. If that starts happening that'll be a good indicator that Reid's crew is trying to work the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    One really has to wonder if we need a new receivers coach. Alex throws a decent ball. Why aren't they being caught more often? Is it the receivers themselves or are they just not being coached right? Probably some of both I guess. Certainly Reid and Sutton have shown us what a difference the right coach makes.

Your thoughts?
    My thoughts are that Reid and the Receivers coach should tell these guys straight up that the job they've done is not satisfactory & if they don't step it up, they ain't gonna be in KC next year. Have to believe they are thinking as much, even if they haven't said it to these guys.

TE's aren't the problem, it's the WR's.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast