Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folks, we were not going to win the superbowl!!!!!

Default Folks, we were not going to win the superbowl!!!!!

This is a preemptive thread title with the anticipation of some fans being ready to commit suicide.

Our team is solid, overachieving, and -in the long term- rising. All great and hopeful signs. But we are far from the best team in the NFL. We are just not deep enough. Never was this fact more evident, than after Hali and Houston went out - who in my book amount to half of our defense - we were ripe for the picking.

The old successful Giants always drafted more pass rushers even when their roster looked saturated with them. I don't know how Dorsey is going to handle this, but we need another pass rusher very close to Hali and Houston's caliber for depth and rotation.

And there's no disputing the fact that we need help at Oline (ESPECIALLY CENTER!), and WR. But pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. We need to elevate what looks like a position of power into a position of utter scariness.

Tall order, but let's hope Dorsey and Reid are capable of doing this.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy the rest of the season and hope we can manage to win one playoff game. Baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I have to agree that Hudson hasn't been as good as I hoped he would be & Allen and Asamoah could also be upgraded, as well. As for Center, perhaps Kush might develop in 2014 and push Hudson out of a job, as Kush does have room to bulk up to 320lbs on his 6-4 frame. Kush didn't look bad in preseason & maybe he develops into starting material in 2014. I don't know if there is a monster Center to be had in the draft in 2014 & I would prefer a pass-rusher or an ace WR.
    Good points there. I'd forgotten about Kush, hope he's developing. It'll be interesting to see who turns up available in free agency as well as the draft.

I'm referring to the 1st draft pick -- hence the "or". But, yes, they do need both.
    Agreed.

Now that everyone has had a chance to process reality, here's the optimistic side of the coin:

1- Depending on the extent of Hali and Houston's injuries, it looks like we might have both in service, come playoffs time (or hopefully before).

2- Our offense scored 38 points. You can argue that the Chargers defense is not the greatest, but I think we have already played some defenses on our schedule that rank similar to the Bolts. We did not score many offensive points against any of them. Is our O finally gelling? What happens if the next step is the WRs finally stepping up? We could be strting to have a legit O just in time for the playoffs.

1+2= Playoffs are a brand new season and as we have seen year after year with the likes of the Giants, steelers and the Ravens, anything can happen once we put everything together come playoffs time.

I still don't expect us to win, or even go to the Super Bowl. But I'd rather get surprised on the positive direction than negative.

Best thing is to just get back to taking them down one game at a time. I had predicted, though, that the Chiefs would probably lose both games to the Donkeys and then get a 3rd crack at them in the post-season and beat the Donkeys when it really counts.

As for this upcoming game Sunday, I would assume the Donkeys would be favored & historically the Chiefs have been a very good home underdog.

I'm not sure where some people were getting this concept that the Chiefs had to win every home game, but I can tell you for a fact that the Chiefs did win all their home games in 1971, 1995, 1997, and 2003 and proceeded to lose in their opening playoff game all 4 times.

My point is, if they can capture road wins against the Redskins and Raiders and win their home final against Indy, then the loss to SD last week and regardless of the outcome of this game with the Donkeys, they'll still get a post-season slot. I believe it would be in their best interest to let their players who are hurting get healthy such as Hali, Houston, DeVito, and anybody else. This game upcoming against Denver will only determine the division winner, not whether or not the Chiefs make the post-season. So they should just go with the players that are healthy and just give it their best shot this Sunday.

Best thing is to just get back to taking them down one game at a time. I had predicted, though, that the Chiefs would probably lose both games to the Donkeys and then get a 3rd crack at them in the post-season and beat the Donkeys when it really counts.

As for this upcoming game Sunday, I would assume the Donkeys would be favored & historically the Chiefs have been a very good home underdog.

I'm not sure where some people were getting this concept that the Chiefs had to win every home game, but I can tell you for a fact that the Chiefs did win all their home games in 1971, 1995, 1997, and 2003 and proceeded to lose in their opening playoff game all 4 times.

My point is, if they can capture road wins against the Redskins and Raiders and win their home final against Indy, then the loss to SD last week and regardless of the outcome of this game with the Donkeys, they'll still get a post-season slot. I believe it would be in their best interest to let their players who are hurting get healthy such as Hali, Houston, DeVito, and anybody else. This game upcoming against Denver will only determine the division winner, not whether or not the Chiefs make the post-season. So they should just go with the players that are healthy and just give it their best shot this Sunday.
    ^^Good points there. And yeah that's exactly how it could get played out. Granted I would rather see the Broncos have to come and play here and deal with Arrowheads' noise, negate all that audible stuff that Peyton's always done and force them to go on silent counts, no huddle and deal with all the shortcomings that can bring (spending time outs at bad times, players not getting the calls right, etc) but the bottom line is that the Chiefs gotta earn it.

Originally I picked the Chiefs to win this game, but didn't forsee a situation where we'd be facing them without both Houston and Hali. My guess is that the Broncos are jumping up and down all over this (Hey, we'd be doing the same thing if Peyton went to the sidelines with injury) but even if we lose this game we're still a functional team, and there's no law that says Zombo and Moses can't come off a week with more reps in practice and have a better game. And we'll have a shot of getting Hali or Houston back when it matters.

If the Broncos lose Peyton, their season is done. Their is simply no way that Osweiler can run that complex offense, do all those audibles and play at that high of a level unless you've had a lot of experience. Their coaching staff would really be hard pressed to come up with a gameplan that would make that offense successful without Manning. Part of the reason why Moreno got all those rushing yards was because the Patriots D was more focused on the pass.

We have lost Hali and Houston for the 2nd Denver game. They have lost Kevin Vickerson. How important is KV to them? Can anyone tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    We have lost Hali and Houston for the 2nd Denver game. They have lost Kevin Vickerson. How important is KV to them? Can anyone tell me?
    Vickerson, 30, hasn't been especially effective this season, grading 61st among 70 eligible interior linemen, per Pro Football Focus. In his absence, a combination of Terrance Knighton, Mitch Unrein and Sylvester Williams will be asked to step up for a defensive line that has fared well against the run, but hardly can afford to lose starters.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...n-broncos-loss

Thanks. I was hoping he was important to them.

I like your strategy. Don't "push" players that are in bad shape to play. Give them an "extra bye week". If that means we lose to Denver at Arrowhead then it's acceptable if it gets us some of our players at 100% for the Wildcard round.

Hurts to be maybe conceding that we might not win the AFC West, but if it makes us stronger for a Wildcard run then it makes good sense. Sometimes it makes more sense to lose a battle if it puts you in a better position to win the war.

Denver is in the driver seat regarding who wins the division. Even if, given the sudden defensive problems, somehow we win this Sunday it will be considered a small miracle. We most likely cannot outrace them to the finish line on two flat tires. That means we will still probably lose one or two more games than they will the rest of the way. A 5th seed is what we can realistically hope for, whether or not we beat the Donks this weekend. So, yes, you are pretty right on with this post. We need to start preparing for the 5th seeding and go from there.
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 11-26-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast