Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game 11 thoughts the fact about this defense

Default Game 11 thoughts the fact about this defense

This one HURTS badly

The good

The offense THEY DID THEIR JOB. 38 points their is 0 excuse for the d to lost that game the way they did today.

The bad

The defense.
    Yes I know they lost Hali and Houston but that's no excuse for the 41 points. That's the thing with this core group of defenders. When things get tough they FOLD their tents. Last year they did it time and time again. And they did it today. Very upset with these guys right now. They got a lot of praise for how they played early in the year. But they need to feel the heat for this. They can't keep folding the moment things get tough

Andy Reid Keeps being pass happy. The running game had a number of nice runs and he didn't stick to it. And lets night forget the bad timeout call late in the game instead of at the very least running the clock down he called a time out with about 20 secounds left on the playclock.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

The man to man defense needs to be have a bit of zone mixed in with it. We always play press man and teams know that. The offence finally showed up but as soon as hali & houston went down it was always going to be tough.

When you run a blitzing defense, there is always someone open, key is to get to the QB or disrupt him enough that he doesn't have time to find that open man. Our pass rush has been non existent for several weeks now, and now with Houston and Hali out for who knows how long, Bob Sutton better have a hell of a game plan for next week.

I disagree with the folding of tents. Earlier in the year, when things got tough, teams driving on us late, our D made plays. Didn't today, for much of the year they did. Lets not forget, last year they were on the field for like 3+ quarters a game last year thanks to constant 3 and outs

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    When you run a blitzing defense, there is always someone open, key is to get to the QB or disrupt him enough that he doesn't have time to find that open man. Our pass rush has been non existent for several weeks now, and now with Houston and Hali out for who knows how long, Bob Sutton better have a hell of a game plan for next week.

I disagree with the folding of tents. Earlier in the year, when things got tough, teams driving on us late, our D made plays. Didn't today, for much of the year they did. Lets not forget, last year they were on the field for like 3+ quarters a game last year thanks to constant 3 and outs
    That's not true the Chiefs averaged more then 30 minutes in TOP last year the D just floded to easy

Probley will calm down about the D tomorrow but REALLY TICKED at the dump they took on the field today. It cost the team a huge game.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    That's not true the Chiefs averaged more then 30 minutes in TOP last year the D just floded to easy

Probley will calm down about the D tomorrow but REALLY TICKED at the dump they took on the field today. It cost the team a huge game.
    I was exagerating, but they were on the field often last year

All in all I'm still very proud of this team, the recievers obviously focused on catching the ball and today we really posted good numbers. The running game, when used, was effective. We why weren't tearing it up more on the ground in the second and third quarters I don't quite understand, but that's Reid. He makes Vermeil look conservative when it comes to calling pass plays.

We also need to face the fact that we just do NOT have a dominating roster quite yet. Today sucked because we lost so many big names on D, that would affect any team - think of all the times that other teams would've folded much sooner than the Chiefs did. Hope that Hali, Houston, Fisher & DeVito are back soon.

The season's not done, still some great football ahead of us. With that being said, with what I've seen so far I do not expect to see us beat the Broncos next week if we can't get Hali or Houston back. Believe that once Denver evaluates this game that we'll be seeing a lot more crossing routes coming our way. That needs to be fixed.

DO NOT GIVE UP CHIEFS FANS!!! We're still in a great position to get into the playoffs. The games are going to get played regardless of injuries. A lot of football to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    I was exagerating, but they were on the field often last year
    But they were on the sidelines more.

The whole Worn down excuse was just BS coming from those who wanted to put every thing on Cassel or Quinn it had no truth to it at all. Last year when there was a turnover the d folded their tents and went home. Today when a couple of guys went down they did the same. That just can't happen But I'll shut up about it until I calm down a bit really PISSED at the defense today they lost that game
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

This one hurt...I agree. Andy with that timeout with 20 seconds, left me completely stunned. I mean, he has been coaching for years & he pulls that crap? Hand it to Rivers, that was an amazing pass & tough to defend. I don't know if any of you thought for a micro-second that Smith batted that ball away. I was stunned when they called it a TD! It should have never have gotten that far in the 1st place. I didn't feel good with 1:30 left & SD had the ball. Having Hali & Houston out really hurt us no question. Our defense has saved us many times this year & now your offensive steps up & look what happens. We should all be grateful that we are still 9-2 & let's get some payback against Denver. Fingers crossed with our bookends & they both come back next Sunday. Go Pats tonight!
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

While yes I blame the D for this loss, I don't think you should blame the players. First, we were putting a lot of pressure on Rivers until we lost Hali and Houston. Zombo almost had a sack at one point before Houston went down. There were a lot of pressures on the first quarter. When you lose 2 guys like Hali and Houston, it is hard to recover. It made our run defense and (obviously) our pass D suffer.

I put this more on bad luck and poor adjustments by the coaches. We should have played more of a zone once we lost our pass rush. Man only works when the QB doesn't have 5 seconds. Not to mention the obvious weakness in our D is running trips with a WR crossing. Whether Hali and Houston come back or not, we need to work on stopping those plays. The easiest way is to have an ILB sitting on those crossing routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    All in all I'm still very proud of this team, the recievers obviously focused on catching the ball and today we really posted good numbers. The running game, when used, was effective. We why weren't tearing it up more on the ground in the second and third quarters I don't quite understand, but that's Reid. He makes Vermeil look conservative when it comes to calling pass plays.

We also need to face the fact that we just do NOT have a dominating roster quite yet. Today sucked because we lost so many big names on D, that would affect any team - think of all the times that other teams would've folded much sooner than the Chiefs did. Hope that Hali, Houston, Fisher & DeVito are back soon.

The season's not done, still some great football ahead of us. With that being said, with what I've seen so far I do not expect to see us beat the Broncos next week if we can't get Hali or Houston back. Believe that once Denver evaluates this game that we'll be seeing a lot more crossing routes coming our way. That needs to be fixed.

DO NOT GIVE UP CHIEFS FANS!!! We're still in a great position to get into the playoffs. The games are going to get played regardless of injuries. A lot of football to be played.
    For me, it's not a case of giving up, but facing reality -- like what you pointed out about not having a dominant roster, although the O-Line depth is pretty good ( and I hope Dorsey/Reid keep it that way ). And when you lose both, Hali and Houston, that's a lot to overcome, but the blown coverages today were inexcusable.

I did like the progress that I saw from the Offense, today and maybe they can do it again next week against a Donkey's Defense that really isn't any better than SD's defense by a whole lot. And what happens to the Donkeys if Manning goes down?. They'll be going nowhere.

I believe we can all stop drinking the Super Bowl kool-aid at this point and just take a realistic wait and see approach. At least they've made some strides from last year, but they aren't there, yet. It'll be up to Dorsey to make the right moves to bolster this roster in the off-season.

I'm not conceding next weeks game to the Donkeys, as they will surely be favored and the Chiefs historically have been a great home underdog. They have to cover the Donks receivers better than they did against SD today, for sure, though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast