Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Quick thoughts on the game

Default Quick thoughts on the game

1- Alex Smith answered a lot of questions today. I thought Aaron Rodgers was wearing 11 for us.

2- Apologies to Alex for Avery (and the rest of the WR group)

3- denver was almost never called for blatant holdings of Hali and T-Jax, and leg whips.

4- After Denver's last TD can somebody show me that "blow to the head" the officials called on us?

5- Cooper is a raw rookie and it showed, but I still think the kid has long term talent.

6- Time to trade Flowers this off season.

7- Not to wish injury on anyone, but Albert's injury might be a blessing in disguise for the Chiefs. Let's start Fishers development there.

8- I badly wanted us to draft Decker when he was coming up. It hurts me double that one of my favorite draft wishes skewered us so bad for the hated Donks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    BTW I'm not anti-Albert. I don't think he's horrible, just don't think he's that great. If he was truly that great, Dorsey & Reid wouldn't have had to draft an LT in the first place! They would've just given him his money, and gone on drafting another position.
    My best hope for us and him is that he would take less money and move to LG or maybe RT. He's talented enough to keep on the Oline. Just not at LT. I think Albert can handle RT better than Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Also, Dorsey said he would draft the BPA that was the best fit for the Chiefs and felt that was Fisher. Fisher's got room for improvement for sure, but he hasn't been as bad as his predecessors at the position O'Callaghan, Richardson, and Winston, especially considering this is his 1st year at the RT position and those guys had been RT's for years. An off-season program should help Fisher get ready for year 2, just like it did for Stephenson. Fisher is a hard worker & he'll get himself ready for year 2. Just needs to put on a bit more weight and get a bit stronger. Of course, we all saw what happened with Albert in his 2nd year & how well he prepared for year 2 -- showed up overweight, out of shape, and totally unprepared to play.
    Almost all draft reports on Fisher was he had tremendous upside but due to playing in a less competitive division, he was going to need initial development in the pro level. So far, that assessment has been on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    br is full of them. They got an easy schedule those years they won the super bowl, but KC didn't pick their schedule this year like Denver did those years. I'm on his ignore list, but enjoy his conpiracies

Also Didn't KC have the same coach that taught Denver players the dirty block?

I also wonder why he doesn't harp on the Patriots about spy gate?

I don't think things were as bad as brdempsy does in the 90s but I do think that Denver got an advantage just like they do now.

That's nothing that's confined to the NFL it happens in all sports. The top teams get calls it just happens all the time.
    In baseball the strike zone for Yankees pitchers are just a bit bigger then others. The strike zone against there hitters are just a bit smaller.
    In basketball Lebron James last season went 2 weeks without being called for 1 foul. There was the whole 2002 Lakers-kings playoff series and Jordan got away with a huge pushoff on his famous last shot with the Bulls to beat the Jazz in the finals.
    Denver this year gets that same type of treatment. The pats have gotten it as well at times throughout the Brady era.

It's just how sports are the leagues seem to be willing to bend the rules for the top teams a bit
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Almost all draft reports on Fisher was he had tremendous upside but due to playing in a less competitive division, he was going to need initial development in the pro level. So far, that assessment has been on the money.
    I fully expected Fisher to need development. Not only was he a rookie but he was changing sides on the line. That just doesn't add up to being able to come in and be great on day 1. Fisher was worse then I thought at the start of the season but I will say he has showed some progress. This offseason he's going to need to put in a lot of work. But I think Fisher can still be a fine player.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I don't think things were as bad as brdempsy does in the 90s but I do think that Denver got an advantage just like they do now.

That's nothing that's confined to the NFL it happens in all sports. The top teams get calls it just happens all the time.
    In baseball the strike zone for Yankees pitchers are just a bit bigger then others. The strike zone against there hitters are just a bit smaller.
    In basketball Lebron James last season went 2 weeks without being called for 1 foul. There was the whole 2002 Lakers-kings playoff series and Jordan got away with a huge pushoff on his famous last shot with the Bulls to beat the Jazz in the finals.
    Denver this year gets that same type of treatment. The pats have gotten it as well at times throughout the Brady era.

It's just how sports are the leagues seem to be willing to bend the rules for the top teams a bit
    Yeah teams/Players that pull the higher ratings and sell more merch will get more calls. NFL is a business and when you run a business you keep the audience happy and keep the high ratings/Cash cows in as long as possible. Stuff like that is always going to happen. You don't like it, better stop watching or hope your team gets a star player that sells big.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Lol. Once again dancing around the fact that another fringe top 5 LT was traded for only a 4th/5th. Can you point me to any trades for a LT in recent history that involved a 2nd or higher? Hell I can't even think of a team moving up to draft one.

As far as that 2nd paragraph. You're really oversimplifying things. For one, Dorsey says he drafts best player avaialable. So he either lied or, he took the best player available in his eyes.
    You've just answered your own quandry. Yes, Dorsey drafted a LT. Why? Because a) There were no Joe Montanas, Dan Marinos or Tom Bradys in the 2013 draft class, b) The Chiefs' current LT was in a contract dispute with negotiations not looking good at all and c) Alex Smith, who was favored by the new head coach, was available in free agency. So yeah it made it real simple that Dorsey took a LT. If I was in their shoes, would've done the same. When the Miami deal fell through, Fisher was the grown up that said he would play right tackle, avoiding more drama from the word go.

But don't worry, I'm always wrong. This offseason we should be able to fix everything by getting Geno Smith (cue clown music)

You've just answered your own quandry. Yes, Dorsey drafted a LT. Why? Because a) There were no Joe Montanas, Dan Marinos or Tom Bradys in the 2013 draft class, b) The Chiefs' current LT was in a contract dispute with negotiations not looking good at all and c) Alex Smith, who was favored by the new head coach, was available in free agency. So yeah it made it real simple that Dorsey took a LT. If I was in their shoes, would've done the same. When the Miami deal fell through, Fisher was the grown up that said he would play right tackle, avoiding more drama from the word go.

But don't worry, I'm always wrong. This offseason we should be able to fix everything by getting Geno Smith (cue clown music)
    Good post. Made better by the funny ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    My best hope for us and him is that he would take less money and move to LG or maybe RT. He's talented enough to keep on the Oline. Just not at LT. I think Albert can handle RT better than Fisher.
    I'd be perfectly OK with that, and even to signing Albert to a longer term deal if he'd be more flexible with moving around the line. Just don't think he will, and not for less than top-10 money.

Duh duh da da duh da duh da dah da...

Reid confirmed at his presser today that Stephenson will start at LT for as long as Albert is out.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 12-04-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast