Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Quick thoughts on the game

Default Quick thoughts on the game

1- Alex Smith answered a lot of questions today. I thought Aaron Rodgers was wearing 11 for us.

2- Apologies to Alex for Avery (and the rest of the WR group)

3- denver was almost never called for blatant holdings of Hali and T-Jax, and leg whips.

4- After Denver's last TD can somebody show me that "blow to the head" the officials called on us?

5- Cooper is a raw rookie and it showed, but I still think the kid has long term talent.

6- Time to trade Flowers this off season.

7- Not to wish injury on anyone, but Albert's injury might be a blessing in disguise for the Chiefs. Let's start Fishers development there.

8- I badly wanted us to draft Decker when he was coming up. It hurts me double that one of my favorite draft wishes skewered us so bad for the hated Donks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Thy wanted a 2nd rounder and were smart not to give him up cheap. We got to see what the LT trade market was when Eugene Monroe, who started at LT ahead of BA in Virginia and has also developed into a damn fine LT in the NFL as well and was also coincidentally in the last year of his contract, was traded to the Ravens for a 4th and 5th round pick. Monroe would go on to replace Mckinnie, whom Mr. Dempsey tried to tell me was better than Alvert last year. So please don't tell me nobody was interested in Albert. The Chiefs had a price set for him and nobody offered it and they wisely kept Albert.

Meanwhile, Miami's O-line has given up the most sacks in the league! Keep spreading the misinformation to further your anti-Albert agenda!
    No sale. A second rounder for a LT (especially one worth top 5 pay) is not out of reach. If there were other teams interested, we would've heard about on ESPN, internet, etc etc. If he was demanding top 5 money, why all of a sudden would he be worth less to everyone else? If anything teams probably backed off when they started hearing about negotiation problems, not wanting the headache.

BTW I'm not anti-Albert. I don't think he's horrible, just don't think he's that great. If he was truly that great, Dorsey & Reid wouldn't have had to draft an LT in the first place! They would've just given him his money, and gone on drafting another position.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    No sale. A second rounder for a LT (especially one worth top 5 pay) is not out of reach. If there were other teams interested, we would've heard about on ESPN, internet, etc etc. If he was demanding top 5 money, why all of a sudden would he be worth less to everyone else? If anything teams probably backed off when they started hearing about negotiation problems, not wanting the headache.

BTW I'm not anti-Albert. I don't think he's horrible, just don't think he's that great. If he was truly that great, Dorsey & Reid wouldn't have had to draft an LT in the first place! They would've just given him his money, and gone on drafting another position.
    Lol. Once again dancing around the fact that another fringe top 5 LT was traded for only a 4th/5th. Can you point me to any trades for a LT in recent history that involved a 2nd or higher? Hell I can't even think of a team moving up to draft one.

As far as that 2nd paragraph. You're really oversimplifying things. For one, Dorsey says he drafts best player avaialable. So he either lied or, he took the best player available in his eyes.

Lol. Once again dancing around the fact that another fringe top 5 LT was traded for only a 4th/5th. Can you point me to any trades for a LT in recent history that involved a 2nd or higher? Hell I can't even think of a team moving up to draft one.

As far as that 2nd paragraph. You're really oversimplifying things. For one, Dorsey says he drafts best player available. So he either lied or, he took the best player available in his eyes.
    Eydugstr isn't dancing around anything. He makes a legit statement when he says that if Albert were really a top-5 LT, then they would have paid him & not drafted Fisher. Instead, they franchised him as trade bait. There were no takers because he's not a top-5 LT and nobody wants to pay him big dollars because they know that they can easily draft somebody as good or better.

Jacksonville was just plain foolish to give up Monroe that cheap. They should have at least have gotten a 3rd rounder & probably would have gotten that as a compensatory pick if monroe would have walked after the season. As far as what you said about LT's not being traded recently for high picks, it's because when teams get a good LT, they keep him and let us not forget that LT's are taken in the top 10 of the draft seemingly every year.

And McKinnie did play better than Albert last year, as I had told you, he played against the better series of opponents than Albert did. So did Stephenson for that matter.McKinnie fell off this year, but the Ravens in general have fallen off this year.

Also, Dorsey said he would draft the BPA that was the best fit for the Chiefs and felt that was Fisher. Fisher's got room for improvement for sure, but he hasn't been as bad as his predecessors at the position O'Callaghan, Richardson, and Winston, especially considering this is his 1st year at the RT position and those guys had been RT's for years. An off-season program should help Fisher get ready for year 2, just like it did for Stephenson. Fisher is a hard worker & he'll get himself ready for year 2. Just needs to put on a bit more weight and get a bit stronger. Of course, we all saw what happened with Albert in his 2nd year & how well he prepared for year 2 -- showed up overweight, out of shape, and totally unprepared to play.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    As much as I respect brdempsey, I'm just not quite sure I buy into the whole NFL/Bowlen/Elway conspiracy thing.
    Well I had heard that Bowlen and Paul Tagliabue were tight friends. Added that to the same accommodations for Elway that we are seeing now for Peyton it is not really hard to have the same suspicion. roger Goodell is not Paul Tagliabue, but maybe he is also a member of a tight buddy system with Bowlen. Who knows? It just does look suspicious. But I am more convinced that the business side of this matter drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    No doubt about that! The question is.......is it NFL "policy" or is it the damned zebras? If it is the NFL then that is very damned depressing.
    It can't be an official policy. Just an off the record admonition to the zebras. they wouldn't want this to be subject to documentation.

Now we have conspiracy theories! Oh boy!
    br is full of them. They got an easy schedule those years they won the super bowl, but KC didn't pick their schedule this year like Denver did those years. I'm on his ignore list, but enjoy his conpiracies

Also Didn't KC have the same coach that taught Denver players the dirty block?

I also wonder why he doesn't harp on the Patriots about spy gate?
    Last edited by doobs_05; 12-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.

I do hope Fisher continues to develop. I just chimed in b/c this notion that he's all the sudden ready to be the Chiefs LT is silly. He's not. Especially in the middle of a playoff run.
    I - admittedly rather clumsily - brought up that notion in this thread. However if you read my post I was calling the Albert injury a blessing in disguise "long term." I do believe Fisher will pan out as a pretty good LT.

Playoff run or not, since I'm resigned to the fact that we are not a complete enough team to go far in the playoffs, I don't see Fisher's insertion into his natural position as a real detriment. Like everyone says he has shown improvement lately and has held his own reasonably well in an unnatural position. No reason to think he won't develop rather quickly at LT. Yes Stephenson has played well enough at LT, but I have hope that in short order fisher's play will surpass his at LT if given serious reps.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Do you mean ... the 9 sacks that Albert allowed in his last 5 starts in 2010 in his 3rd season? Oh wait, didn't your PFF stat sheet say that Fisher had allowed 6 sacks in his first 9 games on the field? And this, his first year in pro ball playing out of position
    This is a pretty good argument. I just can't get this "Fisher-is-a-proBowler-or-bust" attitude that some fans display.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    BTW, you won't ever see me using Fisher as a crutch to not take an O-Lineman in round 1 of future drafts. If Dorsey/Reid decide they want to draft another O-Lineman in Round 1 because they think he's the best player on the board and can help make the Chiefs O-Line better, than so be it.
    I think the NFL has evolved to the point that all those supposed conventions like "you don't draft a guard in the 1st round; you don't draft a OT at the top of the draft; you don't pick a safety or TE high, etc. etc. etc." are pretty much out the window. With the exception of RBs having lost some value NFL teams can and will draft those previously odd positions high if the player is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    There's going to be many players this season that Want to stick around because even if we turn out to be pretenders this year, next year we will definatly be contenders. Who wants to walk away from a team that has this kind of potential?
    I would be careful making declarations like this. Injuries can do strange things to teams with high expectations. See Atlanta Falcons.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast