Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick thoughts on the game

Default Quick thoughts on the game

1- Alex Smith answered a lot of questions today. I thought Aaron Rodgers was wearing 11 for us.

2- Apologies to Alex for Avery (and the rest of the WR group)

3- denver was almost never called for blatant holdings of Hali and T-Jax, and leg whips.

4- After Denver's last TD can somebody show me that "blow to the head" the officials called on us?

5- Cooper is a raw rookie and it showed, but I still think the kid has long term talent.

6- Time to trade Flowers this off season.

7- Not to wish injury on anyone, but Albert's injury might be a blessing in disguise for the Chiefs. Let's start Fishers development there.

8- I badly wanted us to draft Decker when he was coming up. It hurts me double that one of my favorite draft wishes skewered us so bad for the hated Donks.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenchief View Post
    7- not to wish injury on anyone, but albert's injury might be a blessing in disguise for the chiefs. Let's start fishers development there.
    lolololol

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Aj Jenkins had a couple tough grabs, and yac. Hemingway was all over the field we are getting our crap together. We are improving each week offensively. The d needs to get healthy. We were getting pressure today. We are getting close boys. For all those that thought we would go from 2 and 14 to Super Bowl contender in a year need to get a clue. We are gonna end up 11 and 5 and end up Indy or cincy.

But this team is on the right track. Can't wait to see our offseason moves.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said EXCEPT what I bolded above. After our performances the last 3 weeks (despite losing all 3 games) I don't see any of our remaining 4 games as unwinable. We could go 11-5, but we could also easily go 12-4 or even 13-3.

As to the Super Bowl. Wait....not yet....first let's remember that the real goal at this point is to get a playoff win. In a way, that may be harder than getting to the Super Bowl. This Chiefs team doesn't have much experience in the playoffs and of course there is all the bad karma of going 1 and out so many years. So getting that 1st playoff win in forever will be almost as difficult as getting to and winning the Super Bowl.

And now back to the Superbowl.....IF we can win that first wildcard matchup then the Super Bowl is certainly a very realistic possibility. As brdempsey has predicted might happen, we could well find ourselves playing Denver with the winner going to the Super Bowl. And after these two games against Denver I like our chances if that matchup happens. These damned donkeys haven't beaten us yet this year. We've beaten ourselves and the damned zebras have given us a helping hand in beating ourselves. But if we get a 3rd shot at the donkeys, I say we will win it.

No...the Super Bowl is not out of the question by a long shot. There is certainly no team in the AFC that we can't beat. And I am not talking the "any given Sunday" thing....I mean there is absolutely no team in the AFC that is so much better than us that they can beat us time and time again. If we can win that first playoff game then we have a very good chance of going to the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Does everyone agree that Alex Smith could be our franchise QB now?
    He certainly could be. I'm not quite ready to say he is, but he has been very impressive the last 3 weeks (even though we lost all 3 games). Meanwhile I am still trying to wrap my brain around what our offense has done the last 3 games. We've gone from having an Offense that to be polite was anemic and all of a sudden we get in shootouts the last 3 weeks and are very much in the game to the end. Whatever the coaching staff has been adding to the Offense's gatoraide needs to be put in the Defense's gatoraide as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Some random thoughts about this game....

The crucial play was done on the first drive. The interception. Alex Smith should've ran that ball in the end zone himself. Dwayne Bowe had just thrown a broncos defender into the turf, just run the stinking ball behind Bowe and take a shot. But noooooooo....let's try a risky throw in the end zone...Outside of that, Alex played a great game.

My favorite moment of the game was when Dontari Poe got through the line of scrimmage and charged straight for Manning. Manning's entire career flashed before his eyes, freaked out and promptly put that ball up for grabs. It'll take at least forty dollars' worth of bleach to make Peyton's trousers white again.

The crowd was awesome. Manning couldn't do all his audibles, and wound up turning Wes Welker into a messenger boy throughout the game.

It's time to bench Avery, and replace him with Jenkins or Hemmingway. Too many drops.

The Broncos D was pretty much persona non grata. It was the Chiefs that shot themselves in the foot. Von Miller was held in check throughout the game, and looked hobbled towards the end. Sean Philips didn't accomplish much, either. Towards the end they had to resort to a lot of holding, which didn't get called.

Our D needed to come up with some stops in the third quarter. They didn't. Marcus Cooper simply got overwhelmed by Thomas, and when Peyton sees a mismatch he will burn you every time. Although it wasn't horrible, secondaries can NOT fall asleep against Peyton Manning.

The refs were AWFUL this game. The intentional grounding call was absolute DONKEY-doo. Way too many non-calls. Reid should've thrown the challenge flag on that first down early in the game. Towards the end of the game, the refs started playing the "make up" call game, especially after turning down Jack Del Rio's challenges. Coaches said nothing, few players pointed out the non-calls.
    What really frosted me was after the Chiefs went up 21-7, we saw a 35 minute stretch that carried well into the 4th QTR, where the Chiefs did not execute, did not hit, did not play football, and the Donkeys scored 28 points in that stretch. That, along with the two squandered chances in the red zone, is what cost them the game -- especially the dropped passes. It seemed to start with McCluster unwisely fielding that punt inside his own 5-yard line.

Defensively, the biggest problem was giving up big plays when they had the Donkeys pinned back in 2nd and long and 3rd an long and it must have happened at least a half-dozen times. Do the Chiefs have any zone pass defensive schemes in their playbook?

As for the Donkeys defense, they've made a living off of opposing Offenses shooting themselves in the foot & like you said, holding other teams receivers and getting away with it -- nothing more. They are not championship caliber by any stretch of the imagination.

Let's not forget the Donkeys O-Line only got called for holding once in each of the 2 games against the Chiefs, but I've seen the visual evidence that there should have been many more & if it were the Chiefs O-Line, they would have got called. This isn't football, this is politics.

On the Chiefs last Offensive series, they had to pick up that 1st down and didn't. Something else has to happen on that 4th down play other than throwing to Bowe in the end zone. Total botch job.

We know that Manning and his receivers are good, but on a level playing field, are the Donkeys really anything more than an average team, even with Manning? I don't think so. He would have been KO'd already, if his O-Line wasn't allowed to hold and get away with it. Admittedly, Manning seems to have the Chiefs number, but Tom Brady and the Pats have Mannings number. And it just so happens, the Pats are leading their division & will probably get the #2 seed in the post-season.

Not sure how the Chiefs season will end up, but my biggest hope is that the Donkeys get knocked out of playoffs by someone and don't reach the SB. Besides the Chiefs have already showed vast improvement over last season, so whatever happens, the 2013 season was not a total loss for the Chiefs by any means.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-02-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Does everyone agree that Alex Smith could be our franchise QB now? He's gone downfield plenty the last few games and would look exponentially better if not for all the drops. I think putting in anyone different barring injury would be a mistake. I too am perfectly fine with Avery losing the starting role. He hurts more then he helps. I'm almost positive we lost this game because Jamaal Charles didn't get any touches on that final drive. He's our #1 involve him!!!
    Agreed. On all counts. Alex usually is around 200-250 yards a game; If they didn't have half the stinkin' drops, no telling how many extra yards and first downs the guy would have to top over 300 yards. And change the outcome of BOTH of the Broncos games we've lost.

Have no idea why Reid doesn't make a more balanced use of JC.

One thing that looks promising is there were no sacks given up by the Chiefs O-Line today. Even a less than 100% Eric Fisher was able to handle Von Miller when he got thrust into action. The Chiefs have, at least going forward after this year, two very athletic and young bookend Tackles ( we may have seen the last of Albert, today ).

rodu is right about Donnie Avery. He drops too many passes. Let the youngsters Jenkins and Hemingway have their chance.

Maybe next week the Chiefs can get a win against the Redskins and I'm looking forward to that game.
    Agreed. Outside of their QB & recievers, saw nothing spectacular about the Broncos. KC still must beat teams consistently within it's division. We get another crack at the Raiders and Chargers. We need to go into Washingtion, Oakland and SD with an attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    We know that Manning and his receivers are good, but on a level playing field, are the Donkeys really anything more than an average team, even with Manning? I don't think so. He would have been KO'd already, if his O-Line wasn't allowed to hold and get away with it. Admittedly, Manning seems to have the Chiefs number, but Tom Brady and the Pats have Mannings number. And it just so happens, the Pats are leading their division & will probably get the #2 seed in the post-season.
    He does not only have the Chiefs number he has the AFC west number he is now 10-0 against the division. I knew I did not like him signing with Denver the day he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    He does not only have the Chiefs number he has the AFC west number he is now 10-0 against the division. I knew I did not like him signing with Denver the day he did it.
    Then I may be right. It may very well have to be some team outside the division that knocks off the Donkeys in the post-season, although I'd love nothing more than for the Chiefs to do it somehow.

Then I may be right. It may very well have to be some team outside the division that knocks off the Donkeys in the post-season, although I'd love nothing more than for the Chiefs to do it somehow.
    If we get a third shot at them we will beat them. This team will not allow a team to beat them 3 times in 1 season.....and neither will Andy Reid.

What really frosted me was after the Chiefs went up 21-7, we saw a 35 minute stretch that carried well into the 4th QTR, where the Chiefs did not execute, did not hit, did not play football, and the Donkeys scored 28 points in that stretch. That, along with the two squandered chances in the red zone, is what cost them the game -- especially the dropped passes. It seemed to start with McCluster unwisely fielding that punt inside his own 5-yard line.
    That MCCluster screw up was the most painful part of the game for me. That's when the creepy thought that we might give it away rushed and stayed in my head for the rest of the game. I think, having watched Davis' run back, he wanted to do one of his own. "JUST LET THE DAMN BALL GO INTO THE ENDZONE!" - Football 101

Let's not forget the Donkeys O-Line only got called for holding once in each of the 2 games against the Chiefs, but I've seen the visual evidence that there should have been many more & if it were the Chiefs O-Line, they would have got called. This isn't football, this is politics.
    I was backing up the DVR and screaming at every holding that should have been called. My wife had to calm me down after a few of those incidents. But she, a relative novice at football, also could see the non-call travesty go down. They were that obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    If we get a third shot at them we will beat them. This team will not allow a team to beat them 3 times in 1 season.....and neither will Andy Reid.
    We do know that the last two times the Chiefs have played in Denver in January, the Chiefs have beat the Donkeys. They showed that they are capable of beating the Donkeys, but they didn't because the Chiefs shot themselves in the foot too many times in both games.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post

I was backing up the DVR and screaming at every holding that should have been called. My wife had to calm me down after a few of those incidents. But she, a relative novice at football, also could see the non-call travesty go down. They were that obvious.
    As I said before, one person on facebook said he counted 10 blatant holds that weren't called. I saw a pic that I wish I could have posted here, that showed in the 1st game at Denver, Hali was clearly being necktied by the Donkeys LT, and yet, there was no flag thrown.

Any team that gets away with this sort of thing CANNOT be considered a true champion, as was the case with the '97 and '98 Donkeys.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-02-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast