Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clock management and lack thereof

Default Clock management and lack thereof

I don't typically vent and generally try to stay positive but I have to get this off my chest. I don't remember anyone mentioning this yet, but the last two weeks I feel like Andy Reid has really mismanaged the clock late in the game. I don't recall the details from the SD game, but if memory serves correctly we called a timeout with several seconds left on the playclock late in the game that gave SD an extra 30 seconds or so to drive the length of the field for the win.

Lastnight, when the Chiefs were clearly in scoring position on 2nd down, Reid elects to pass the ball instead of running Jamaal Charles(our best player by the way) resulting in clock stoppage with 2:03 left. The much smarter play in 4 down territory would have been to run the ball and wind the clock down to 2:00. Instead we had to run another play. Even if we would have scored a TD on that horrendous 4th down play call, Peyton would have had nearly two minutes to put the Broncos in FG position. Considering he abused us routinely in the 2nd half, why give him that opportunity?

I've read comments from Philly fans in the past talking about the poor clock management skills of Andy Reid. I chalked those up to being comments made by bitter Andy Reid fans. Now I know better. Clock management errors at the MINIMUM aided our loss to SD. Clock management would likely have led to us getting beat by a FG against the Broncos even if Alex had completed the worst pass play ever designed for a 4th and Game situation. Don't even get me started on that 4th down play call. Give your damn QB a chance to make a play. Flat out embarrassing Andy. Andy should apologize to the tens of thousands of fans that spent a portion of their Christmas money to watch that incredibly thoughtless playcall. No read was even made, it was a timing route thrown into double coverage that should have been intercepted. Andy, you let your team down with that play call. You let your fans down with that play call. But most importantly you let Alex Smith down with that horrific playcall.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Yeah he had time management issues at the end of Phillys SB loss too. It's something that he has I guess. Must not be too changeable or he would have surely fixed it by now. He's still head and shoulders above our last 3 coaches! I still feel he was the right hire for us at the time. Only time will tell if he can lead us to the promise land, but here's hoping that he can.
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Coach.....while I have to agree that there have been some WTF? moments with Reid's clock management, I think you are going just a bit over the top. Andy Reid is likely not "the greatest coach that ever lived", but he has without a doubt made a huge difference for the better.

I have to agree on that last play call. Nobody was lined up to run a 5-yard square in or square out & trying to go to the end zone when they needed 4 yards to pick up a 1st down was totally insane.

I'm not saying I don't like Andy Reid. I do. I'm saying he needs to get better at clock management. He's the best coach we've had since Schottenheimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I'm not saying I don't like Andy Reid. I do. I'm saying he needs to get better at clock management. He's the best coach we've had since Schottenheimer.
    Let's hope he makes us say Schotten-WHO???????

At first I thought the clock thing against the Chargers hurt. But then I thought about it and in the long run it worked out as a positive for the Chiefs that the timeout was called. He called Time out with about 17 secounds left on the play clock the Chargers scored with about 20 left in the game. They would have only had 3 seconds on the clock instead of 20. The Chiefs wouldn't have been able to take much more time off since at the time the Chiefs had the ball on the drive in question the Chargers still had timeouts I don't think that really hurt the Chiefs in any way after considering all that
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    At first I thought the clock thing against the Chargers hurt. But then I thought about it and in the long run it worked out as a positive for the Chiefs that the timeout was called. He called Time out with about 17 secounds left on the play clock the Chargers scored with about 20 left in the game. They would have only had 3 seconds on the clock instead of 20. The Chiefs wouldn't have been able to take much more time off since at the time the Chiefs had the ball on the drive in question the Chargers still had timeouts I don't think that really hurt the Chiefs in any way after considering all that
    Good point. A lot of calls a coach makes come down to "Hero or Goat" type situations. Had we called the time out, scored, San Diego scored and then we came back to tie it back up, people would be saying Reid was a genious. Glad I don't have to make those kind of decisions.....though I will say that when Reid called that timeout I had a VERY SERIOUS case of WTF!!!!!!! Damn near threw my beer at the computer screen.

Reid's play calling and clock management have been questioned. Fairly I think. But I still think that Reid/Dorsey are the best thing to happen to our Chiefs in a very very long time. For the good they have done, they get a pass from me for the times when they have made the wrong choice. Nobody is perfect, but these two guys are the closest we have had to a perfect combination in a VERY LONG TIME!

I think we are in for a LOT of fun years!

That last play, it was a call to one receiver. What! It was to Bowewish would be a great. That was it! Should of just called a QB draw, because Smith would have had a bigger chance of scoring running than that one option for bowe.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I don't typically vent and generally try to stay positive but I have to get this off my chest. I don't remember anyone mentioning this yet, but the last two weeks I feel like Andy Reid has really mismanaged the clock late in the game. I don't recall the details from the SD game, but if memory serves correctly we called a timeout with several seconds left on the playclock late in the game that gave SD an extra 30 seconds or so to drive the length of the field for the win.

Lastnight, when the Chiefs were clearly in scoring position on 2nd down, Reid elects to pass the ball instead of running Jamaal Charles(our best player by the way) resulting in clock stoppage with 2:03 left. The much smarter play in 4 down territory would have been to run the ball and wind the clock down to 2:00. Instead we had to run another play. Even if we would have scored a TD on that horrendous 4th down play call, Peyton would have had nearly two minutes to put the Broncos in FG position. Considering he abused us routinely in the 2nd half, why give him that opportunity?

I've read comments from Philly fans in the past talking about the poor clock management skills of Andy Reid. I chalked those up to being comments made by bitter Andy Reid fans. Now I know better. Clock management errors at the MINIMUM aided our loss to SD. Clock management would likely have led to us getting beat by a FG against the Broncos even if Alex had completed the worst pass play ever designed for a 4th and Game situation. Don't even get me started on that 4th down play call. Give your damn QB a chance to make a play. Flat out embarrassing Andy. Andy should apologize to the tens of thousands of fans that spent a portion of their Christmas money to watch that incredibly thoughtless playcall. No read was even made, it was a timing route thrown into double coverage that should have been intercepted. Andy, you let your team down with that play call. You let your fans down with that play call. But most importantly you let Alex Smith down with that horrific playcall.
    heres my quote from the thoughts about the game tread, my thoughts exactly we had time to run some run plays in the mix and we didn't even though Charles was tearing Denver a new one all game

Even though I said the officials can't see everything I agree that there were blatant non-calls. But in just don't agree with over exaggerating it saying our team sucks and our season is over. Gotta admit the officials gave us 1 when Avery fumbled though. I think Reid not throwing runs in there with that last drive hurt us bad, even if we scored Manning had plenty of time to get into field goal position. This is the second game where Reid's clock management skills are lacking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast