Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reflections on three losses.......

Default Reflections on three losses.......

I don't mind admitting that these 3 losses have hit me like a 10,000 pound sh!t-hammer. It took me 3 days to recover from that first loss.

The loss against San Diego was almost as bad.

And of course this second loss to the donkeys in Arrowhead hurts like hell...especially since we had the bastids by the balls and let them get away.

But being mindful of coach's advice in another thread to not get too high on the wins, I'm not going to get too low on the losses. So I've looked at these three losses and while there are certainly reasons for deep concern, I also see lots of reasons to be "almost" pleased with these last 3 games.

Let's face facts....

When we were 9-0 there was not a sane Chiefs fan anywhere that thought we were going to win the Superbowl in an undefeated season.

Many of us were worried that the pundits were right and our Chiefs were simply a "paper tiger".

A common theme in threads through the first 9 games was "Is our Offense EVER going to get their sh!t together?"

Well boys, our offense has gotten their sh!t together in the last 3 weeks. Our Defense has looked weak, but then, for 3 games they have been playing quarterbacks that are simply pretty damned good. Neither forehead nor rivers are anything to laugh at.

So where are we???????

Our Offense has shown they can light up the scoreboard just like the "big boys" do.

Our Defense has shown they aren't quite as good as we thought (and the injuries have not helped), but if they can get their mojo back they can keep us in the fight against any team in the NFL today. BAR NONE!

We are competitive with any team in the NFL so long as either our Defense or Offense is playing their "A-game".

If both our Offense AND our Defense can bring their "A-game" on the same day then we will win....NO MATTER WHO WE ARE PLAYING.

Our Chiefs have 3 tough tasks ahead of them......

1) They have to get out there and get the required wins to make the playoffs. Should be easy, but it won't be. We're dinged up and we are facing our first serious adversity this season.

2) We need to finish the season STRONG. Beating the colts and the dolts in the last 2 weeks would be HUGE!!!!

3) Assuming we make the playoffs we have to BURY that 1 and out problem we have had in the playoffs! If we make the playoffs, we need to win that first round game in a blowout!

If we can do those 3 things we will have an honest shot at the Super Bowl.

Call me a "homer"....I guess I am.....but this is a very good Chiefs team. All the pieces are there. They just have to get to the playoffs and then put all those pieces together at the same time.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 12-02-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Think all three losses stung mainly because we shot ourselves in the foot. The first Broncos game we lost mainly because of dropped passes. The SD game the offense really improved, but the D got ripped by crossing patterns, and poor clock management at the end didn't help. The last Broncos game we lost to a combination of bad decisions (first INT, not calling more run plays) and dropped passes.

All of it is correctable - probably the hardest one to change will be getting the D to adjust to those crossing routes. The sky is not falling, and we've still got four games to play. Bring on the 'skins.

Yup! You got it just about 100% right. We need to focus on winning each game, making the playoffs and then starting that whole new season that is the playoffs. Our Chiefs only job right now is to win some games and get in to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Think all three losses stung mainly because we shot ourselves in the foot. The first Broncos game we lost mainly because of dropped passes. The SD game the offense really improved, but the D got ripped by crossing patterns, and poor clock management at the end didn't help. The last Broncos game we lost to a combination of bad decisions (first INT, not calling more run plays) and dropped passes.

All of it is correctable - probably the hardest one to change will be getting the D to adjust to those crossing routes. The sky is not falling, and we've still got four games to play. Bring on the 'skins.
    That is my take as well. Having certain Defensive front 7 players (three of them) miss playing time due to injuries certainly doesn't help, either.

On the plus side, we could finally see the develop of two young WR's in Jenkins and Hemingway and brother could the Chiefs ever use a couple of young playmakers at WR RIGHT NOW, not just this off-season.

One more thing, the Donkeys fans that I know aren't saying a whole lot. It's almost as though they're fearful of a 3rd meeting between the Chiefs and Donkeys happening in the post-season, as the Donkey blow-outs over KC that many Donkeys fans were predicting, didn't happen, but rather the Donkeys were sh!thouse lucky that the Chiefs shot themselves in the foot. Personally, I'm hoping for a 3rd crack at the Donkeys in January, as there's nothing to be fearful about from the Chiefs side.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    That is my take as well. Having certain Defensive front 7 players (three of them) miss playing time due to injuries certainly doesn't help, either.

On the plus side, we could finally see the develop of two young WR's in Jenkins and Hemingway and brother could the Chiefs ever use a couple of young playmakers at WR RIGHT NOW, not just this off-season.

One more thing, the Donkeys fans that I know aren't saying a whole lot. It's almost as though they're fearful of a 3rd meeting between the Chiefs and Donkeys happening in the post-season, as the Donkey blow-outs over KC that many Donkeys fans were predicting, didn't happen, but rather the Donkeys were sh!thouse lucky that the Chiefs shot themselves in the foot. Personally, I'm hoping for a 3rd crack at the Donkeys in January, as there's nothing to be fearful about from the Chiefs side.
    Losing Hali, DeVito and Houston sucked. All things considered, not sure it changed a whole lot for the past two Broncos games (Manning's quick release) but I do think it impacted what happened in SD, where difference maker is the second LESS that our first string guys normally give. But hey hat's off to SD's offensive cooridinators for teaching us a gap in our defense (better to learn it now than in the playoffs.) As Dick Vermeil used to say, sometimes you give a few lessons, sometimes you get a few...

I'd like to see Jenkins get some more reps. They're (Avery/Jenkins) both the same type of WR (fast, small) but the difference maker is the drops. We know Avery's track record with drops in big games, but we don't know with Jenkins. Hemingway's slowly developed under the radar, which is great. Hopefully we'll start seeing him more in red zone situations with Bowe, Fasano & JC. I wanna see us get our red zone swagger back.

You might be right, with a third meeting with the Broncos. But we've got four games to go, most of them on the road. We really need to take care of business in Washington. RGIII & Mike Shanahan are no joke. Same for SD or Oakland on the road, or Indy. We need to go into DC with an attitude.

Yup! Got to focus on getting to the playoffs first. One game at a time. Scumskins this weekend.

To say were not in sb run is silly!!!! We are always running for sb thats every teams goal!! If not fire those in charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    To say were not in sb run is silly!!!! We are always running for sb thats every teams goal!! If not fire those in charge!
    Of course we are in the hunt for the Superbowl!!!!!! Any team that has not been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs is in the Super Bowl hunt.

Admittedly, we are almost assuredly fighting for a Wildcard Spot, but once you get in the playoffs, it is a whole new season and you are in the Super Bowl hunt.

Many think that wildcard teams have little or no chance of making it to or winning the Super Bowl, but let's look at some facts......

6 of the last 16 Super Bowls (37.5 %) have had a Wild Card team in them.

5 of the last 16 Super Bowls (31.25%) were WON by Wildcard teams.

The FIRST team to win the Super Bowl as a Wild Card team was the Kansas City Chiefs!!!!!!! Of course, back then (1969) it was not called a "Wild Card", but the fact remains that our Chiefs did not win the AFL West that year. So regardless what name you choose to use, we were a Wild Card that year.

The second team to win the Super Bowl as a Wild Card was the 1980 Oakland Raiders.

The third team to win* the Super Bowl as a Wild Card was the 1997 donkeys.

11 teams have advanced to the Super Bowl as a "Wild Card" or non division-winning team. 7 of those 11 (63.64%) have won the Super Bowl.

Of those 7 teams, 3 came from the AFL/AFC West (42.86%). Kansas City, Oakland and Denver. All we have to do is start winning again, make the playoffs as a Wild Card, get our ENTIRE team firing on all cylinders in the playoffs and we will be a VERY SERIOUS Super Bowl contender.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

The chiefs are currently just trying to expand that odds line so chief fans can rake in the cash once they do win the SB. Run out there and get your bets placed people chiefs are losing so that the odds can go up for you!...

p.s I don't really believe this, but trying to stay positive lol.

Good on you Justin!!!! Know a good online betting site? Vegas is a long way to go for a $100 bet, but if the odds were right I'd certainly put a little money on a playoff win and a Super Bowl appearance.

the chargers game was the hardest one for me to swallow. Rivers sliced and diced our D and took only 58 secs to do it. same ole story. D wins games and SB's
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast