Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reflections on three losses.......

Default Reflections on three losses.......

I don't mind admitting that these 3 losses have hit me like a 10,000 pound sh!t-hammer. It took me 3 days to recover from that first loss.

The loss against San Diego was almost as bad.

And of course this second loss to the donkeys in Arrowhead hurts like hell...especially since we had the bastids by the balls and let them get away.

But being mindful of coach's advice in another thread to not get too high on the wins, I'm not going to get too low on the losses. So I've looked at these three losses and while there are certainly reasons for deep concern, I also see lots of reasons to be "almost" pleased with these last 3 games.

Let's face facts....

When we were 9-0 there was not a sane Chiefs fan anywhere that thought we were going to win the Superbowl in an undefeated season.

Many of us were worried that the pundits were right and our Chiefs were simply a "paper tiger".

A common theme in threads through the first 9 games was "Is our Offense EVER going to get their sh!t together?"

Well boys, our offense has gotten their sh!t together in the last 3 weeks. Our Defense has looked weak, but then, for 3 games they have been playing quarterbacks that are simply pretty damned good. Neither forehead nor rivers are anything to laugh at.

So where are we???????

Our Offense has shown they can light up the scoreboard just like the "big boys" do.

Our Defense has shown they aren't quite as good as we thought (and the injuries have not helped), but if they can get their mojo back they can keep us in the fight against any team in the NFL today. BAR NONE!

We are competitive with any team in the NFL so long as either our Defense or Offense is playing their "A-game".

If both our Offense AND our Defense can bring their "A-game" on the same day then we will win....NO MATTER WHO WE ARE PLAYING.

Our Chiefs have 3 tough tasks ahead of them......

1) They have to get out there and get the required wins to make the playoffs. Should be easy, but it won't be. We're dinged up and we are facing our first serious adversity this season.

2) We need to finish the season STRONG. Beating the colts and the dolts in the last 2 weeks would be HUGE!!!!

3) Assuming we make the playoffs we have to BURY that 1 and out problem we have had in the playoffs! If we make the playoffs, we need to win that first round game in a blowout!

If we can do those 3 things we will have an honest shot at the Super Bowl.

Call me a "homer"....I guess I am.....but this is a very good Chiefs team. All the pieces are there. They just have to get to the playoffs and then put all those pieces together at the same time.

GO CHIEFS!!!!!
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 12-02-2013 at 06:03 PM.

We aren't ready for a Super Bowl run IMO. Our defense is struggling against the better teams. I can't see us winning a playoff game when all the opposing qb has to do is spread us out and throw to whoever Copper is covering for a first down. Also find it hard to think I a win when none of our wr are consistent. Just like they were saying we were an over achieving team facing subpar offenses and feasting on them. Our defense isn't where it needs to be yet. Our secondary needs more pieces and we e need another pass rusher. Same with the offense. Not all the pieces are in place yet. This is year 1 of a new regime top to bottom. I'm excited about where we can go in the future with this team. We have excelled more than I thought we would at the beginning of the year. We have a lot of upside, but were far from being the team that Dorsey/Reid are building us. I'm happy we're moving in a positive direction!! Go Chiefs!!
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

I agree. The colts are not going to be a pushover but I think the loss of Reggie Wayne killed their making a run at the Super Bowl he changed that team, just like if we had a receiver like him it would change ours. If we sat Avery I think we would instantly be a better team. When was the last time you heard Avery's name being praised for a great block? He had a good game against the chargers but that's it. The only problem I see is that he's a Reid/Dorsey guy and they don't want to be wrong. I think DeVito is definately Hali's lineman that gives him a lot of freedom to work efficiently guess how many games DeVito missed? And I'm also starting to think that rall of the perceptions about Andy Reid are right, best back in the league and in cruch times we abandon the run NOT SMART

That's a positive outlook for sure. Looking back on some of the former superboel winners like the giants, steelers, saints. They weren't always dominant during the regular season, but they had the pieces in place and played their best football at the right time. If this team can improve the pass rush, their secondary suddenly is better. When we were getting sacks and pressure on the QB, our secondary looked great. Now that we can't sniff theqb, our secondary looks awful. Our offense is finally moving the ball. We need all 3 phases to click and we could beat any team, on any field.

Precisely!!!! Make the playoffs, win that first round game and then play solid football on both sides of the ball and we'd have a real good shot.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I saw a LOT of positives in the game. We were very close, and for what is basically a very young team with very little experience in winning, I am not surprised that we arent able to close out games aginst the tough opponents ... yet. The fact that we were able to mount 2 comeback drives is impressive for a team that hasnt won 10 games across like the past 3 seasons.

Alex Smith is better than an average QB. With some improvements in the WRs on this team, he can be a 300yd/game passer. Our offense can move the ball. I would like to see a more consistent and balanced attack using the ground game more, but that has been the complaint with Andy Reid ever since he became a head coach.

I dont think our Defense is weak. I think we have been playing against teams that are VERY good passers. We play a very aggressive D. So yes, we MAY give up an occasional big play to "average" QBs. Against elite QBs AND WRs, we ARE going to give up a few plays. Consider this when you are saying that our secondary sucks: Wes Welker has the most receptions and yards for any receiver in the past 7 years. He only had a couple receptions last night. Rivers and Manning are #1 and #2 QBs in this league right now. No one has been able to "shut them down" without the help of crazy weather conditions (New England).

Right now we may have a playoff spot locked up this week. If we win this week, and EITHER the Dolphins or the Ravens lose, we have a spot locked up (unfortunately this means we have to cheer for Todd Haley (vs fins) or Matt Cassel (vs Ravens)).

If we win 2 games from here on out, any 2 games, we have a spot locked up.

Granted I would like to win more than 2 games, but getting to the playoffs is a huge victory to me after last season.

I am interested to see how we play against the Colts, since they are the only playoff caliber team we have left, and they also have a pretty good QB, but their WRs arent much better than ours.

Remember people, this is the first year with Reid and Dorsey. They are still building this team.

The key to playing man defense is getting pressure on the QB. You can only chase someone for so long before they create separation. We were pressuring Manning in the beginning of the game, hence the 2 picks. Some reason we could keep up the pressure as the game went on and he had time to pick us apart.

My take on the 3 losses is that they weren't blowouts and all 3 were winnable games. Mistakes were made that need to be corrected. Time will tell if that happens or not.

Exactly! We haven't been beaten 3 times, we've pretty much beaten ourselves 3 times. If our offense can play 4 quarters of what we have seen the last 2 weeks and our Defense can pressure the QB again then there is not a team in the NFL that can beat us.....not now, not in the playoffs or even the Super Bowl.

Our Offense, Defense and Special Teams have all done everything right many times this season. They just never do it all at the same time for 4 quarters. If we can put it all together once/if we get to the playoffs then Super Sunday will be a whole lot of fun.....and truly the beginning of a dynasty.

The one I feel worst about is The Chargers loss. Well.... so far.

But, as I said before, we have been in a playoff atmosphere, and that will continue. Learning to win in that atmosphere could serve us very well when the actual playoffs begin.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast