Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clock management and lack thereof

Default Clock management and lack thereof

I don't typically vent and generally try to stay positive but I have to get this off my chest. I don't remember anyone mentioning this yet, but the last two weeks I feel like Andy Reid has really mismanaged the clock late in the game. I don't recall the details from the SD game, but if memory serves correctly we called a timeout with several seconds left on the playclock late in the game that gave SD an extra 30 seconds or so to drive the length of the field for the win.

Lastnight, when the Chiefs were clearly in scoring position on 2nd down, Reid elects to pass the ball instead of running Jamaal Charles(our best player by the way) resulting in clock stoppage with 2:03 left. The much smarter play in 4 down territory would have been to run the ball and wind the clock down to 2:00. Instead we had to run another play. Even if we would have scored a TD on that horrendous 4th down play call, Peyton would have had nearly two minutes to put the Broncos in FG position. Considering he abused us routinely in the 2nd half, why give him that opportunity?

I've read comments from Philly fans in the past talking about the poor clock management skills of Andy Reid. I chalked those up to being comments made by bitter Andy Reid fans. Now I know better. Clock management errors at the MINIMUM aided our loss to SD. Clock management would likely have led to us getting beat by a FG against the Broncos even if Alex had completed the worst pass play ever designed for a 4th and Game situation. Don't even get me started on that 4th down play call. Give your damn QB a chance to make a play. Flat out embarrassing Andy. Andy should apologize to the tens of thousands of fans that spent a portion of their Christmas money to watch that incredibly thoughtless playcall. No read was even made, it was a timing route thrown into double coverage that should have been intercepted. Andy, you let your team down with that play call. You let your fans down with that play call. But most importantly you let Alex Smith down with that horrific playcall.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.

lets put the reasons for this loss out there, and I said "reasons" not blame.......5 dropped passes which would have resulted in 7 to 17pts or at least eaten up a lot more time, a pick instead of TD 7 more pts, no help from the safeties 21 pts, no Houston probably would have resulted in 2 less scoring drives....and of course that bad 4th down call. a banged up CHIEFS vs a heathly broncos. don't believe Denver is a better team, I think they are evenly matched w/the CHIEFS and mistakes determine the winner. the CHIEFS have made the most mistakes
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Well, as much as I like Andy, it seems his brain is just not wired for time management. It's not a knock against his intelligence. I have a very smart friend with a PhD in Chemistry who cannot tell his left hand from his right. His brain is just not wired for that.

I think the Chiefs need to hire an assistant whose job is clock management and advising the HC in those crucial times in the game.

no one is mentioning that bowe was held horribly on that last plat just before the end zone!!!!!! no flag!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    no one is mentioning that bowe was held horribly on that last plat just before the end zone!!!!!! no flag!!!!!
    I like to believe that. Is there a video clip of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Well, as much as I like Andy, it seems his brain is just not wired for time management. It's not a knock against his intelligence. I have a very smart friend with a PhD in Chemistry who cannot tell his left hand from his right. His brain is just not wired for that.

I think the Chiefs need to hire an assistant whose job is clock management and advising the HC in those crucial times in the game.
    That right there is a damned good idea. Like any coach, Reid has his weaknesses and hiring somebody to do nothing but think about the clock and give Reid advice on the subject would be REALLY SMART! I am a HUGE fan of Reid's, but there have been a couple of times when his clock decisions have left me saying HOLY SH!T!!!!! WHT was that all about???

^^Regarding time management, to me, the obvious question is why aren't the asst. coaches helping out more in this regard?

I don't know enough about how the coaching staff works to answer this question, but I suspect that Reid does not realize this is an area of weakness for him and so none of the assistants have been specifically tasked with thinking about clock management. Sometimes the hardest thing in the world is to realize what your weaknesses are. Especially if you are winning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123