Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to Hemmingway

Default Congrats to Hemmingway

Sunday's Broncos-Chiefs game was filled with ebbs and flows, so much so that Kansas City Chiefs WR Junior Hemingway found a fitting analogy to describe the back-and-forth opportunities between the AFC West rivals.

"It was two heavyweights going at it and it came down to the wire," Hemingway said. "There were some plays that we could have made, but we have to get over it real quick and regroup; we'll regroup, I'm not worried about that part, we just have to regroup and come back next week."

Despite Sunday's outcome, one of many noteworthy performances for the Chiefs came via the pass-catching and tackling abilities of Hemingway. The 6'1, 225-pound WR caught his second-career TD on Sunday and led the team with four special teams tackles. The signal-caller responsible for throwing both touchdown passes to Hemingway, Chiefs QB Alex Smith, spoke to #88's reliability.

"I think every time he gets an opportunity, every time his number gets called, he steps up and makes a play," Smith said. "Every time I turn (and look at) special teams, he's out there making a play. He's just a good, good football player and obviously a talented receiver, no question. Like I said, every time he seems to get an opportunity, he makes a play."

While Smith noticed Hemingway's receiving and tackling skills, so too did the team's head coach, Andy Reid.

"Junior is a good blocker, a tough kid," coach Reid said. "You saw how well he did on special teams, likewise then, he also has sure hands. He is a good catcher. We have increased his playtime here as the season has gone on; I think he has done a good job with that."

On Sunday, Smith found a season-high 11 different Chiefs pass catchers, helping Kansas City rack up 452 yards of total offense, marking the highest offensive output since the Chiefs accumulated 507 net yards of offense on Dec. 23, 2012 vs. the Indianapolis Colts. Junior finished with three catches for 42 yards (14.0 avg.) and one touchdown, but instead of talking about individual statistics, he described the team-wide mindset, leading into Week 14.

"One thing we can say is, it's not over with," Hemingway said. "We just have to keep playing football. We have to come back next week and win out."

Chiefs fans are hoping that's exactly what their favorite team does, beginning Sunday, against Washington.

For a look at the best images from Broncos vs Chiefs in Week 13, click here.

----------------------------
    just like we've all been saying since we've seen him SHINE in PRESEASON. I sure hope he gets involved more Bowe, Jenkins, HEMMINGWAY, then Avery IMO

I've never understood why Hemingway hasn't gotten more playing time than he has. All he does is get open and catch the ball. He had a TD reception in game 1 and then for many weeks after, he hardly saw the playing field & had me wondering why. Time for him to displace Avery, as Avery has dropped too many catchable passes.

He's a monster blocker as well. I think he and an Jenkins are gonna get more time. They both played very well in a high pressure situation.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I've never understood why Hemingway hasn't gotten more playing time than he has. All he does is get open and catch the ball. He had a TD reception in game 1 and then for many weeks after, he hardly saw the playing field & had me wondering why. Time for him to displace Avery, as Avery has dropped too many catchable passes.
    I think his excellent play on the special team works against him getting opportunities as a WR. Maybe Andy thinks if Hemi gets a full time WR job his availability on the ET will decrease. But even if that's the case I think his value is more on the offense than on the ST simply because aside from Bowe we don't have a WR as good as Hemi.

Hemmingway has looked pretty good everytime i have seen him from pre-season on.. Why he doesnt get more play??

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    Hemmingway has looked pretty good everytime i have seen him from pre-season on.. Why he doesnt get more play??
    Frankenchief's analysis of why Hemingway isn't getting more playing time is possibly the correct reasoning. I believe it is.

By the same token, Alex Smith has spoken publicly regarding Hemingway's reliability & perhaps Alex could lobby for Hemingway to get more playing time.

Hemingway clearly reminds me very much of Chris Carter -- the type of WR that all they do is get open and catch the ball on a repeated basis.

Then again, who knows, maybe Andy Reid's plan all along was saving Hemingway for the late season.

An ESPN article on this same subject: http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...dropped-passes

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    An ESPN article on this same subject: http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...dropped-passes
    I'm not too sure how much quicker Jennings and Avery are than HEMMINGWAY, the dude is a gunner on special teams, he's got plenty if speed

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    I'm not too sure how much quicker Jennings and Avery are than HEMMINGWAY, the dude is a gunner on special teams, he's got plenty if speed
    they probably are speedier than Hemingway but both have proven less reliable catchers. You would think if the DBs had to worry about another good receiver on the field they would not play Jenkins (forget Avery) so tight and he could use his speed better for separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    they probably are speedier than Hemingway but both have proven less reliable catchers. You would think if the DBs had to worry about another good receiver on the field they would not play Jenkins (forget Avery) so tight and he could use his speed better for separation.
    Dave taub was speaking HEMMINGWAY in this weeks coordinator media addresses and taub said Hemmingway was 100% on his blocking assignments last week, I'd imagine if he were on the field more JC would be able to break for longer runs also so our offense dynamic would soar. At the same time though our Sp. Teams would suffer for losing him cause he'd be in the offense more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast