Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can our coaching staff be improved upon next year?

Default Can our coaching staff be improved upon next year?

The following is far-fetched, I know, but bear with me just for spits and giggles:

There are some headcoaches who are on increasingly hot seats. One, Gary Kubiak, has already been burned. Which of said coaches or their coordinators would you predict to be fired and if so you would like them on the Chiefs roster replacing a KC coach you are sour on?

Throw out names and discuss.

Way beyond my knowledge or skill level. My feeling? If Reid or Dorsey want a shiny new assistant coach then Clark Hunt should go out and buy it for them.

Unknown commodity here. I highly doubt they could improve their Special Teams coach Dave Taub, for sure.

I can't truthfully say that I'm sour on any of them. Maybe the OC, Doug Pederson early in the season, but these last three weeks, things have improved and they are starting to incorporate more play-action passing and with Jamaal fully healthy, they need to employ this tactic on a steady basis as it will help spring receivers open and help the O-Line a lot, as well, and force opposing Defenses to play honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Unknown commodity here. I highly doubt they could improve their Special Teams coach Dave Taub, for sure.

I can't truthfully say that I'm sour on any of them. Maybe the OC, Doug Pederson early in the season, but these last three weeks, things have improved and they are starting to incorporate more play-action passing and with Jamaal fully healthy, they need to employ this tactic on a steady basis as it will help spring receivers open and help the O-Line a lot, as well, and force opposing Defenses to play honestly.
    Taub is untouchable. I don't think calling him the best ST coach in the league is an exaggeration.

Pederson, I always looked at as a work in progress. With experience, he could end up being a damn good OC and a possible heir-apparent to Andy, or total garbage. That's how wide the range is on him until further observation.

The way this team is responding this year, I would be afraid to replace anybody on the coaching staff. Even if I'm not 100% satisfied with some of the asst. coaches, I don't want to upset the chemistry and continuity and bring in someone that might be worse instead of better.

There will be enough upheaval as it is when we have to let some good players go (salary cap) and bring in some new players through free agency and the draft. I wouldn't want to add to that with any coaching changes. Reid has a staff he trusts and they just got here. Give him another year or so to see what he can do with it.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

The only positions that I am disappointed in are OL and WR. More so with the WR, than OL. The drops have me frustrated, so if there was a good WR coach available, I'd be interested. The OL seems to have been improving, so I am not as critical about those coaches.

That having been said, Reid seems to be a very loyal coach, and it takes a lot for him to fire someone, so I would be surprised if he fired someone for another coach.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I highly doubt they could improve their Special Teams coach Dave Taub, for sure. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Taub is untouchable. I don't think calling him the best ST coach in the league is an exaggeration. ...
    I totally agree. As a Bears fan I've watched what he does with special teams for many years now. (Devin Hester, anyone?) What is even more amazing is that he works almost exclusively with 2nd and 3rd stringers and there is for more turnover with his personnel than with the offensive or defensive starters and yet, every year his special teams are among the best in the NFL.

My fear is that someone is going to steal him away and make him an OC or even a head coach. I don't know if he has the skills for anything other than special teams, but we need to pay him whatever he wants (within reason). Chiefs have had the best average starting field position in the NFL this year. That's partly defense but mostly special teams that is responsible for that.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I totally agree. As a Bears fan I've watched what he does with special teams for many years now. (Devin Hester, anyone?) What is even more amazing is that he works almost exclusively with 2nd and 3rd stringers and there is for more turnover with his personnel than with the offensive or defensive starters and yet, every year his special teams are among the best in the NFL.

My fear is that someone is going to steal him away and make him an OC or even a head coach. I don't know if he has the skills for anything other than special teams, but we need to pay him whatever he wants (within reason). Chiefs have had the best average starting field position in the NFL this year. That's partly defense but mostly special teams that is responsible for that.
    Great point regarding Taub. Pay the man, plain and simple. They lose way too much if they lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    The way this team is responding this year, I would be afraid to replace anybody on the coaching staff. Even if I'm not 100% satisfied with some of the asst. coaches, I don't want to upset the chemistry and continuity and bring in someone that might be worse instead of better.

There will be enough upheaval as it is when we have to let some good players go (salary cap) and bring in some new players through free agency and the draft. I wouldn't want to add to that with any coaching changes. Reid has a staff he trusts and they just got here. Give him another year or so to see what he can do with it.
    Agreed. Unless it's clearly broken...Don't fix it.

Anybody know the numbers of chicago's special teams since taub left?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast