Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty schottenheimer biggest mistake

Default Marty schottenheimer biggest mistake

says stepping down as chiefs coach in 1998 was the biggest mistake he ever made in football.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football...tearful-ending

Quote Originally Posted by marloweopatchiefs View Post
    says stepping down as chiefs coach in 1998 was the biggest mistake he ever made in football.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football...tearful-ending
    I guess I gotta read his book. Marty was a great coach. Just not good enough....or maybe snakebit.......I dunno......but he was a good coach. And we Chiefs fans had some good times with him as coach of our Chiefs. We'll forget Marty after Reid gets us a Super Bowl, but thanks Marty........we had some good times.

I hated marty for years for the Gannon Grbac choice but then someone showed up to KC and my hate turned to respect for Marty when I saw what a bad coach looks like. His name Herman Edwards
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Yup......Marty was a TERRIBLE coach....until we saw Herm the Worm. Then we learned what a lousy coach was all about.

Gannon, but instead went with a physically better but not a play maker. Was Joe Montana a physically better player on the roster, no, but play maker he was. Biggest mistake ever made. Crbac over Gannon.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Gannon, but instead went with a physically better but not a play maker. Was Joe Montana a physically better player on the roster, no, but play maker he was. Biggest mistake ever made. Crbac over Gannon.
    Indeed it was. How could Marty justify pulling Grbac in favor of Gannon in a meaningless season final game against the Saints when Grbac was floundering & not do the same thing in the post-season when it really counted and Grbac was still floundering? You knew right for the first couple of Offensive series that if Grbac was left in there the entire game that the Chiefs were going to lose. Grbac squandered their 2nd half timeouts and they didn't have any when they needed them late in the 4th QTR. Marty didn't want to win that game, for if he had, he would have pulled Grbac in favor of Gannon at least by halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Indeed it was. How could Marty justify pulling Grbac in favor of Gannon in a meaningless season final game against the Saints when Grbac was floundering & not do the same thing in the post-season when it really counted and Grbac was still floundering? You knew right for the first couple of Offensive series that if Grbac was left in there the entire game that the Chiefs were going to lose. Grbac squandered their 2nd half timeouts and they didn't have any when they needed them late in the 4th QTR. Marty didn't want to win that game, for if he had, he would have pulled Grbac in favor of Gannon at least by halftime.
    Yes, that was a mistake, the bigger mistake happen in the off season. That was a Carl mistake. Do not take me wrong, I think Marty was one of our best coaches ever.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I think Marty wanted to win just as bad as any coach. I think he just got to caught up in the old starter gives you the best chance to win. Sometimes the starter that you had is not the best guy to go with when the "backup" is hot. Gannon was hot and was just better then Grbac. Marty just couldn't seem to get that. It hurt badly.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

It's easy to second guess. Elvis had always been our starter when healthy. Gannon played as a backup. Marty was loyal to his QB. So hate him for being loyal. Not everyone has the gonads to turn their back on the guy that got them there. Belichick(Brady for Blessoe), Harbaugh(Kapernick/Alex Smith). Now it's happening in Chicago. If Cutler magically stays healthy, coach is gonna have a tough decision.

he knew how to build killer D's ill say that for him
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast