Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the game Chiefs 56 Raiders 31

Default Thoughts on the game Chiefs 56 Raiders 31

The GOOD:

56 points on that Oakland Coliseum scoreboard. Totally unprecedented.

Jamaal Charles. Enough said. We've all known his worth for some time, now. Especially when he's healthy.

Alex Smith continues to be a sturdy commander for the Chiefs at QB and a career day today going 17/20 for 287 yards and 5 TD passes. Dropped passes were obviously kept to a minimum today.

Great game-plan adjustment by the Offense to the Raiders blitz-pressure style Defense. The plan WAS to attack them with screens to Charles, as you saw on the very first play from scrimmage.

The O-Line play was better in this game for the Chiefs than what we saw in the 1st game with Oakland. Stephenson and Fisher both did not draw a single flag for the 2nd week in a row. Stephenson has stepped up big-time at LT and should keep the job the rest of this season, as he's a better player than Albert, plain and simple. It's no coincidence that the O-Line has improved since he took over LT. Fisher played well & it was on the play that he got hurt where the sack was given up. He simply needs to stay healthy and continue his improvement. An off-season program should benefit Fisher greatly, just like it did for Stephenson, and the Chiefs will have a pair of bookend Tackles that can compare with anybody for a long time to come --- finally.

Eric Berry getting his first game with multiple picks & both coming at the right time. Let's hope he repeats this feat in the post-season. Especially if they get a 3rd crack at Denver

5 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries totaling 7 takeaways.

The BAD:

Too many untimely penalties that helped keep the Raiders in the game. That Lewis blunder was inexcusable.

3rd down defense was awful & too many blown coverages.

No sacks by the Defense -- however the Raiders O-line was healthy this time and no Justin Houston, so that isn't a big surprise.

The UGLY:

31 points given up, which makes it the 3rd time this season the Chiefs have given up 31 or more to an AFC West opponent -- no Justin Houston for a full game in any of those games. Nobody outside the division, however, has scored more than 17 on the Chiefs thus far this year.

Please add your thoughts, as I'm sure I didn't cover all the bases.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-15-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Without a doubt. If we can get all three aspects of the team hitting at 100% then there is not a team in the NFL that we can't beat!
    Shoot, I'd take all three running at 80%! I think that would be enough to get deep into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    The GOOD:

56 points on that Oakland Coliseum scoreboard. Totally unprecedented.

Jamaal Charles. Enough said. We've all known his worth for some time, now. Especially when he's healthy.

Alex Smith continues to be a sturdy commander for the Chiefs at QB and a career day today going 17/20 for 287 yards and 5 TD passes. Dropped passes were obviously kept to a minimum today.

Great game-plan adjustment by the Offense to the Raiders blitz-pressure style Defense. The plan WAS to attack them with screens to Charles, as you saw on the very first play from scrimmage.

The O-Line play was better in this game for the Chiefs than what we saw in the 1st game with Oakland. Stephenson and Fisher both did not draw a single flag for the 2nd week in a row. Stephenson has stepped up big-time at LT and should keep the job the rest of this season, as he's a better player than Albert, plain and simple. It's no coincidence that the O-Line has improved since he took over LT. Fisher played well & it was on the play that he got hurt where the sack was given up. He simply needs to stay healthy and continue his improvement. An off-season program should benefit Fisher greatly, just like it did for Stephenson, and the Chiefs will have a pair of bookend Tackles that can compare with anybody for a long time to come --- finally.

Eric Berry getting his first game with multiple picks & both coming at the right time. Let's hope he repeats this feat in the post-season. Especially if they get a 3rd crack at Denver

5 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries totaling 7 takeaways.

The BAD:

Too many untimely penalties that helped keep the Raiders in the game. That Lewis blunder was inexcusable.

3rd down defense was awful & too many blown coverages.

No sacks by the Defense -- however the Raiders O-line was healthy this time and no Justin Houston, so that isn't a big surprise.

The UGLY:

31 points given up, which makes it the 3rd time this season the Chiefs have given up 31 or more to an AFC West opponent -- no Justin Houston for a full game in any of those games. Nobody outside the division, however, has scored more than 17 on the Chiefs thus far this year.

Please add your thoughts, as I'm sure I didn't cover all the bases.
    Agreed on many points. Today was a big win. It wasn't quite as dominating as the Redskins game, but to be fair I think the Raiders are a better team talent-wise overall than the 'skins.

Jamaal Charles is definitely the workhorse of this offense. He's playing some of the best football I've ever seen him play.

Think the O-line did really well. Hudson inparticular had some great moments in this game, think it was during the first screen play for a TD he was going downfield blocking, and managed to take out two defenders at one time while on the run.

Think the bad part of the game was definitely the first part of the third quarter. Part of this falls on the DC, the other part falls on the offense getting a little conservative. Do this in the playoffs, we'll get ripped. The crossing patterns still continue to be effective against our D, but fortunately the Raiders didn't focus or execute well so it didn't bite us in the butt as much as it could've. Expect to see that in the playoffs.

As far as coverages go...There were a ton of mismatches (LB's trying to cover speedy recievers deep in the backfield) which also goes a long way to explaining why we didn't get a ton of sacks. Didn't understand that at all, maybe that was Sutton's way of trying to jack with the Raiders' offense (unsuccessfully).

Does this defense even know how to play a zone. Everything is man to man, and when things get tough the othe team is just throwing the ball up hoping and letting the receiver make a play or hoping for a Penalty.

I am getting tired of these 30+ bombs being thrown on us without a safety close to helping Cooper or Frank Zombo. We started to pick off the Raiders when those safeties were sitting back and reading the ball. It was good to actually see the defense adjust after letting the Raiders back in.

They VERY BAD- Was the Raiders fan. I rewinded the game numerous times to prove to my son how horrible Raiders fans are, but the second TD Charles scored. I counted 40 dollars worth of beer thrown at J. Charles. Classless fans at their worste.

The Good. There was a lot of red in the stadium. It looks like the Chiefs had some home field advantage there as well as a lot last week. We usually have a big showing in San Diego also.

Sadly he seems doomed to never have a 300 yard game for us. I say this with tongue a bit in cheek, but even last night when he had his best chance, he got pulled a few yards short of 300.

The BAD:

Too many untimely penalties that helped keep the Raiders in the game.
    So true. It was as if the Raiders were wearing red. And BTW, what happened to all the old Raider O-line holding calls that we are so used too?

The UGLY:

31 points given up,...
    This has been worrying me a bit. The teams that we will face from this point on are no Oakland Raiders. We cannot give up that many points and expect to win any games left on our regular and post-season schedule (with the exception of Indy maybe).

Look, the Chiefs have far exceeded my expectations and I'm a pretty happy camper for it. But, to play a bit of devil's advocate, let's put some things in perspective. Let's not forget that Oakland actually out-gained us yesterday. Sure, some of their yardage was due to our mistakes and penalties that were keeping their drives alive, but we really need to cut down on shooting ourselves in the foot.

While I'm on the 'Party pooper' mode, I have to also point out two things that still bother me a lot:

1- Our 3rd and long defense is painful to watch. It' s almost like I can almost always predict a big play by the opponent when we have them pinned at 3rd an 8 or longer. ironically I have to credit this team and the staff for staying positive after so many disheartening 3rd and long lapses.

2- We must be one of the worst 3rd quarter teams in the NFL. For once I like us to come out of the halftime locker room with proper adjustments and keep dominating the other team. But the dreaded post halftime play always allows the other team to either get back in the game or take the lead. It's a bit frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Think the O-line did really well. Hudson inparticular had some great moments in this game, think it was during the first screen play for a TD he was going downfield blocking, and managed to take out two defenders at one time while on the run.
    I have been an outspoken critic of Rodney Hudson. To the point of advocating drafting a Center next. Now I'm not so sure. If he keeps improving like this we might be set at Center.

Closer inspection showed me that Eric Fisher never did go to the locker room after he came off the field, so maybe it was just a stinger & maybe they wanted to get Schwartz some work at RT and get Asamoah some playing time at RG and decided to give Fisher the rest of the day off. At that stage of the game, why not?

Hope that Fisher is okay, as he was playing pretty good up till that one play.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    I have been an outspoken critic of Rodney Hudson. To the point of advocating drafting a Center next. Now I'm not so sure. If he keeps improving like this we might be set at Center.
    Hudson could put on a few more pounds as he's listed at 299 right now & technically, this is his 1st full year as a starting Center, so hopefully he keeps improving, along with the rest of the O-Line.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Does this defense even know how to play a zone. Everything is man to man, and when things get tough the othe team is just throwing the ball up hoping and letting the receiver make a play or hoping for a Penalty.

I am getting tired of these 30+ bombs being thrown on us without a safety close to helping Cooper or Frank Zombo. We started to pick off the Raiders when those safeties were sitting back and reading the ball. It was good to actually see the defense adjust after letting the Raiders back in.

They VERY BAD- Was the Raiders fan. I rewinded the game numerous times to prove to my son how horrible Raiders fans are, but the second TD Charles scored. I counted 40 dollars worth of beer thrown at J. Charles. Classless fans at their worste.

The Good. There was a lot of red in the stadium. It looks like the Chiefs had some home field advantage there as well as a lot last week. We usually have a big showing in San Diego also.
    I went to a SD/Chiefs @SD game last season and good lord almighty there were a huge amount ofHello Donna got your number from Sera. Is it too late to order the cupcake scentsy holder and get it before Christmas? SMOKIN HOTT chief fan women wearing practically nothing! I was in heaven. Ty SD for having year round 80 degree weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

That's what I mean about mismatches...What was Zombo doing back there in the first place ?!

Yes, that was the most Chiefs jerseys I've ever seen at Oakland, outside of the ones wore by the team!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    I'm guilty there, too. My concerns were more about what happens if he went down to injury, when Pioli was here plan B was to make Ryan Lilja be a center (and we all saw how that went.) At least we have Kush, but unless Travis Kelce gets fed up in Philly, keep rolling the dice with Hudson, see if he can stay injury-free for awhile.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast