Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the game Chiefs 56 Raiders 31

Default Thoughts on the game Chiefs 56 Raiders 31

The GOOD:

56 points on that Oakland Coliseum scoreboard. Totally unprecedented.

Jamaal Charles. Enough said. We've all known his worth for some time, now. Especially when he's healthy.

Alex Smith continues to be a sturdy commander for the Chiefs at QB and a career day today going 17/20 for 287 yards and 5 TD passes. Dropped passes were obviously kept to a minimum today.

Great game-plan adjustment by the Offense to the Raiders blitz-pressure style Defense. The plan WAS to attack them with screens to Charles, as you saw on the very first play from scrimmage.

The O-Line play was better in this game for the Chiefs than what we saw in the 1st game with Oakland. Stephenson and Fisher both did not draw a single flag for the 2nd week in a row. Stephenson has stepped up big-time at LT and should keep the job the rest of this season, as he's a better player than Albert, plain and simple. It's no coincidence that the O-Line has improved since he took over LT. Fisher played well & it was on the play that he got hurt where the sack was given up. He simply needs to stay healthy and continue his improvement. An off-season program should benefit Fisher greatly, just like it did for Stephenson, and the Chiefs will have a pair of bookend Tackles that can compare with anybody for a long time to come --- finally.

Eric Berry getting his first game with multiple picks & both coming at the right time. Let's hope he repeats this feat in the post-season. Especially if they get a 3rd crack at Denver

5 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries totaling 7 takeaways.

The BAD:

Too many untimely penalties that helped keep the Raiders in the game. That Lewis blunder was inexcusable.

3rd down defense was awful & too many blown coverages.

No sacks by the Defense -- however the Raiders O-line was healthy this time and no Justin Houston, so that isn't a big surprise.

The UGLY:

31 points given up, which makes it the 3rd time this season the Chiefs have given up 31 or more to an AFC West opponent -- no Justin Houston for a full game in any of those games. Nobody outside the division, however, has scored more than 17 on the Chiefs thus far this year.

Please add your thoughts, as I'm sure I didn't cover all the bases.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-15-2013 at 10:55 PM.

The D has been pretty bad for about a month outside of last week. I am really worried about them right now.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The D has been pretty bad for about a month outside of last week. I am really worried about them right now.
    Pass Defense coverage has got to improve. Too many opposing receivers are running free uncovered.

Need more contact with their receivers coming off the line. One play in particular Hali got stuck out with Smith on the right side of the line both manned up, Tamba jammed his guy at the line while Sean gave a free release and an eventual completion.

I still believe that if both OLB weren't injured in the SD game we are sitting at #1, this offense has hit its stride at the perfect time.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Need more contact with their receivers coming off the line. One play in particular Hali got stuck out with Smith on the right side of the line both manned up, Tamba jammed his guy at the line while Sean gave a free release and an eventual completion.

I still believe that if both OLB weren't injured in the SD game we are sitting at #1, this offense has hit its stride at the perfect time.
    I understand shoulda coulda woulda. But losing your 2 premier pass rushers, who were dominating the game up to that point, within a few minutes of each other is a freak accident. We indeed would be 12 and 2 with home field throughout ours to lose.

We still haven't played a complete game yet but we are getting close. Houston back healthy is just around the corner and he's gonna be fresh.

I only saw the first quarter of this game but all through that 9 game streak it seemed we were always saying...."If the Offense can just get their sh!t together". Well....THEY HAVE! Now we just need a 100% healthy Defense going into the playoffs and I think we can beat ANYONE! I'd love to Win the West, but above all, I want our Chiefs at 100% come Playoff time!!!!!

Defense is sorely lacking discipline at critical times which needs, very much, to be remedied.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Defense is sorely lacking discipline at critical times which needs, very much, to be remedied.
    Quoted for truth. This issue has to be fixed come post-season time.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Quoted for truth. This issue has to be fixed come post-season time.
    ...Absolutely without fail!

Without a doubt. If we can get all three aspects of the team hitting at 100% then there is not a team in the NFL that we can't beat!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast