Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith

Default Alex Smith

Quarterback Alex Smith had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 on 17-for-20 passing, for 287 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions. Chiefs are now 11-3 and in the playoffs with him at the helm. (sarcasum starts here) But - he stinks, we payed to much for him, we should have drafted Geno, he is Cassel 2.0, etc. (end sarcasum) I had no prediction before the season started because I had no clue how he would do, but now, I am quite happy we have him.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Let's not get too high on the highs... Alex Smith is a little above league average at the QB position, playing the 2nd easiest schedule in the league, not unlike Cassel in 2010. The team, coaching, and offensive system is better than it was in 2010 and this team is definitely on the upswing. However, I don't think you should expect this same kind of output next season when the Chiefs will probably be playing a 2nd place schedule, the AFC East, and the NFC West... along with probably Baltimore and Tenn.

I had the Chiefs ceiling at 11 wins this season. I'll be shocked if they get this many next season. I DO think they'll be a better team, however and continue to be playoff contenders for the next several seasons. Whether they can be Super Bowl contenders or not will hinge on the play at the QB position and frankly, Alex Smith needs to be better and more consistent. Alex didn't have some remarkable game yesterday. Most of his yards came off screens and 4/5 of his TDs were to Charles... a running back.

Let's show some restraint and not pretend like the guy suddenly became Peyton Manning... even if it was only for one game.
    First place schedule is the exact same schedule as a last place schedule except two games out of 16. The first place team plays the first place team of the two divisions they are not playing in their conference and guess who the last place team plays yep the last place team in the divisions they don't play. You play 6 games in your division one NFC division (4 games) and one AFC division (4 games) and all the other teams in your division play the same two divisions so every team in your division has 8 of the same teams you do. In the case of the Chiefs they will play they AFC west teams twice and one other AFC conference all teams and the two last place teams in the other AFC team. Next year they will play the second place teams from two AFC divisions that they are not playing all teams of. That is really an advantage isn't it?

Now you are telling me two games out of 16 is that big of an advantage/disadvantage? I wish everyone would shut up about first place schedule and last place schedule because only 2 games are dictated by last years finish. Now if you want to bring up the divisions that you are playing in a given year that is one thing but don't forget the other 3 teams in your division plays the same divisions as you, so if the divisions you play are not good like NFC East this year the rest of your division so you don't have an advantage.

The difference between a first place schedule and a last place schedule has been brought up time and time again.

The donkeys won the AFC West last year and we were the last place team in the NFL. Look at our schedule this year and their schedule this year and tell me how much harder than our schedule their schedule was. It was easier, no doubt, but lets be realistic.

The only difference between the donkeys schedule and ours was that they played the Ravens and the splats. In those two games they went 1-1.

Lets say we had also played the Ravens and splats and let's say we had lost both games (not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination....I think we'd have had a good chance against the Ravens).

Even with an extra loss, we'd still be 10-4. The Donkeys would still be 11-3. We'd still be 2 games ahead of any other team in the hunt for a Wildcard. So the donkeys would be 1 game plus a tie-breaker ahead of us. We would still be almost sure of making the playoffs. The only real difference the schedule has made is that we are still in the hunt for the AFC West title.....though it is a long shot.

So lets identify all this talk about easy schedules for what it really is......MEANINGLESS!
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 12-17-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Let's not get too high on the highs... Alex Smith is a little above league average at the QB position, playing the 2nd easiest schedule in the league, not unlike Cassel in 2010.
    INCORRECT! First, his passer rating is 10th. Second The Chiefs are playing the seventh easiest schedule in the NFL. Guess who has played the easiest. That's right. The Denver Broncos, with their first place schedule have the easiest schedule in the league. And the Colts, who won their division last year, have the third easiest schedule. Here is the proof:

I don't want to hear any more talk about easy last place schedules ever again. Yes, The Chiefs have played a weak schedule but not as weak as the Broncos, and all the experts have the Broncos ranked as the first or second best team in the NFL.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Topeka, you are looking at strength of schedule based on last years records. If you base it on this years records, the Chiefs have the easiest schedule at .408 and the Donks are at .505.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/t...ule/order/true

That having been said, it is rare for teams to make it to the playoffs with over a .500 SOS. There are usually only a couple of teams that do that. This is primarily because when you beat teams and have a good record, that brings down your opponents SOS.
    Last edited by jap1; 12-18-2013 at 02:25 AM.

The only 2 opponents we don't share with Denver is Clevland/Buffalo vs their NE/Baltimore every other opponent is exactly the same.

Clearly, strength of schedule like so many other statistics in the NFL is a rather fungible thing. What I would find interesting is a strength of schedule chart based on what your opponent's record at the start of the game was, whether you are playing them at home or away and whether they are a team that plays stronger at home or away. Such a chart would take into account the fact that teams go on streaks sometimes. Thus someone who played the Giants when they were 0-6 would be getting a game that was less challenging than someone who played them when they were 5-7.

As to the whole debate over how weak or strong the Chiefs schedule is/was.....As Justin pointed out, we only played 2 different teams than the donkeys. And yes, we did get 2 weaker teams (Bills and Cleveland). But frankly I don't think this all amounts to a hill of camel poop. We have proved that when our Defense is healthy, they can strangle anybody they play. And we have proved that we can put up the HUGE offensive numbers just like the "Big Boys". In short, our Chiefs can be competitive with ANY team in the NFL. Take that into the playoffs and we have a good chance of making the Super Bowl.

Remember guys....Once you are in the playoffs, strength of schedule, fantasy stats and all that BS mean NOTHING. It's just our Chiefs and the other team. Head to head. Player to player. And right now there is not a coach in the NFL that is going to look at a game against our Chiefs and say...."GOOD! This will be an easy win."

I've said it before and I will say it again. The hardest part for our Chiefs will be winning that first round Playoff game. If we can do that we all need to be making plane reservations for Newark Airport just down the road from the Meadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Topeka, you are looking at strength of schedule based on last years records. If you base it on this years records, the Chiefs have the easiest schedule at .408 and the Donks are at .505.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/t...ule/order/true

That having been said, it is rare for teams to make it to the playoffs with over a .500 SOS. There are usually only a couple of teams that do that. This is primarily because when you beat teams and have a good record, that brings down your opponents SOS.

Talking about the record it all comes back to this for me. Last season this team wasn't beating ANYONE if they had a good record or not. So you have to give Alex a little credit for that.

Now let me break down Alex

Alex is not an average QB. He's above average. But he's not in the elite class. He's a Qb that can be carried into the elite class if they can build the right talent around him. He's a QB that can get the job done. That's going to be the challange for the Chiefs going forward as long as Alex is their QB. Building the right talent around him. If they do so they can beat anyone in the league. I'm pretty happy with Alex. Now get a #1 WR who won't let himself be taken out of the game.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

No BS there!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Talking about the record it all comes back to this for me. Last season this team wasn't beating ANYONE if they had a good record or not. So you have to give Alex a little credit for that.

Now let me break down Alex

Alex is not an average QB. He's above average. But he's not in the elite class. He's a Qb that can be carried into the elite class if they can build the right talent around him. He's a QB that can get the job done. That's going to be the challange for the Chiefs going forward as long as Alex is their QB. Building the right talent around him. If they do so they can beat anyone in the league. I'm pretty happy with Alex. Now get a #1 WR who won't let himself be taken out of the game.
    I agree with the general spirit of your post. But I always question definitive definitions? Were does "good" stop and "elite" start? Drew Brees was a very good draft prosoect, but I don't recall him referred to as "elite." He was a good QB in San Diego but not "elite." Now everyone categorizes him as "elite." Is it him, or is it the system he is in? I think all QBs, though ranging in God-given talent*, are a product of the system and the talent around him. That goes for Peyton and Brady too. You put 10 of our aunts and uncles around them and they are toast.

(* I think there are, by definition, more outright bad QBs than clear cut elite ones.)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast