Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith

Default Alex Smith

Quarterback Alex Smith had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 on 17-for-20 passing, for 287 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions. Chiefs are now 11-3 and in the playoffs with him at the helm. (sarcasum starts here) But - he stinks, we payed to much for him, we should have drafted Geno, he is Cassel 2.0, etc. (end sarcasum) I had no prediction before the season started because I had no clue how he would do, but now, I am quite happy we have him.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    The amount of yards will change, but the average may stay the same.....maybe.
    Amount of yards will change. For the better.

TDs will almost assuredly change for the better.

Average yards per game will change. But not by much.

But my point is what I said....."Cassel is a "could've been". Alex Smith is turning into a damned good quarterback. Maybe even "good enough".

Alex's first season with the Chiefs is going to be his best season ever. And I believe he will only get better as his confidence grows with good coaching. Cassel had a great season and I am not taking that away from him. But we RUINED him. He will never amount to anything again. Stick a fork in him....he's all done. 2010 will end up being the best season of his career.

Alex on the other hand is a rising star. Good team around him.....good coaching....he is only getting better from here.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Amount of yards will change. For the better.

TDs will almost assuredly change for the better.

Average yards per game will change. But not by much.

But my point is what I said....."Cassel is a "could've been". Alex Smith is turning into a damned good quarterback. Maybe even "good enough".

Alex's first season with the Chiefs is going to be his best season ever. And I believe he will only get better as his confidence grows with good coaching. Cassel had a great season and I am not taking that away from him. But we RUINED him. He will never amount to anything again. Stick a fork in him....he's all done. 2010 will end up being the best season of his career.

Alex on the other hand is a rising star. Good team around him.....good coaching....he is only getting better from here.

for some reason i was only talking about the air yards chart, not the rest of the TDs and stuff

Not arguing with you. Stats are important. Personal stats are important to a QB because they build his confidence and a confident QB wins games.

Alex Smith is a better QB today than Matt Cassel was in 2010......and he is getting better.

Matt Cassel is not as good a QB today as he was in 2010. And he's getting worse.

Damned shame because with the right coaching he could've been a real good QB. But our lousy coaching ruined him. Damned shame, but it is what it is.

Meanwhile, we're going to the playoffs with Alex Smith and I feel a lot more confident that we'll get a playoff win or more than I ever did in 2010 or any other time with Cassel.

In Matt Cassel's defense...He had an awesome game last Sunday for Minnesota in against the Eagles (382 yds, 2 TD's, 1 INT). He's played well for the Vikes all things considered.

Unfortunately Matt Cassel's main problem - Revolving door at coaching - is likely going to happen all over again in Minnesota, too.

I wish Matt Cassel well.....unless we ever face him in the playoffs.....then I wish him the worst single day of his career.

Let's not get too high on the highs... Alex Smith is a little above league average at the QB position, playing the 2nd easiest schedule in the league, not unlike Cassel in 2010. The team, coaching, and offensive system is better than it was in 2010 and this team is definitely on the upswing. However, I don't think you should expect this same kind of output next season when the Chiefs will probably be playing a 2nd place schedule, the AFC East, and the NFC West... along with probably Baltimore and Tenn.

I had the Chiefs ceiling at 11 wins this season. I'll be shocked if they get this many next season. I DO think they'll be a better team, however and continue to be playoff contenders for the next several seasons. Whether they can be Super Bowl contenders or not will hinge on the play at the QB position and frankly, Alex Smith needs to be better and more consistent. Alex didn't have some remarkable game yesterday. Most of his yards came off screens and 4/5 of his TDs were to Charles... a running back.

Let's show some restraint and not pretend like the guy suddenly became Peyton Manning... even if it was only for one game.

^^Do tell us. Regarding the snowy conditions last week in Washington, who would you rather have at QB, Manning Or Alex Smith? I'll take Alex Smith every time. Manning can't play in that type of weather ( as we saw in NE ), whereas Smith was unfazed by it.

The game plan WAS to attack the Raiders with screens to counter their blitz-pressure type of Defense -- hence the 1st play from scrimmage was a screen. Alex did have a couple of nice downfield throws yesterday and his 71-yard TD to Charles wasn't a screen pass.

You can keep Manning as I've watched him choke in the post-season for over a decade outside of 2006. Manning always piles up big numbers in the regular season and then drops a big pile in the back of his shorts in the post-season.

And Andy Reid will get Alex a 1st-rate receiver core very soon. You can bank on that.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    i do not know the stat of who recovered the fumbles :/
    Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    ^^Do tell us. Regarding the snowy conditions last week in Washington, who would you rather have at QB, Manning Or Alex Smith? I'll take Alex Smith every time. Manning can't play in that type of weather ( as we saw in NE ), whereas Smith was unfazed by it.

The game plan WAS to attack the Raiders with screens to counter their blitz-pressure type of Defense -- hence the 1st play from scrimmage was a screen. Alex did have a couple of nice downfield throws yesterday and his 71-yard TD to Charles wasn't a screen pass.

You can keep Manning as I've watched him choke in the post-season for over a decade outside of 2006. Manning always piles up big numbers in the regular season and then drops a big pile in the back of his shorts in the post-season.

And Andy Reid will get Alex a 1st-rate receiver core very soon. You can bank on that.
    I sure hope so. Bowe needs to be here Alex trusts him and he's a huge asset as a blocker. Now what happens when those possession charges hit him remain to be seen.

I was not suggesting for a moment that Alex Smith was Peyton Manning. I would NEVER DO THAT!

Peyton Manning is a spoiled little brat who cares more for himself and his stats than he does for his team.

Alex Smith will NEVER be Peyton Manning.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast