Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: Chiefs wont hold back on Colts, except perhaps injured

Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Chiefs wont hold back on Colts, except perhaps injured

0 Not allowed!
    By Darin Gantt
    Even though the most likely scenarios have the Chiefs and Colts meeting in the first round of the playoffs, this weeks not a time to hold back for strategic reasons. Because of the tiebreakers that come into play for both teams, the Chiefs appear destined for the AFCs top Wild Card berth, and the Colts… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 774

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJChiefs View Post
    Actually, you're wrong. The Chiefs next to last playoff game was at the RCA dome in 2007, and we lost to the Colts 23-7. And since the merger in 1970, the Chiefs are 1-7 in away playoff games and 2-5 at home. And just answer me one question. Why do YOU think the Chiefs are playing "better" on the road than at home this year if not just a random abberation?
    My bad, I did forget the Indy game after 2006, which they did lose 23-8, not 23-7. But I'm still correct about them losing the last 4 post-season games they've played at home & therefore my point about homefield advantage being no factor where the Chiefs are concerned, still stands.

I don't "think" that the Chiefs have played better on the road. That is a misconception on your end. The FACTS are they have a better record on the road than they have at home and have won more games by more decisive margins than they have at home, except for the loss in Denver. Random abberation? Your aching Aunt Fannie !! I've watched all the games via NFL Game Rewind. Overall, they have played better football on the road than at home.

As for the 1-7 road record since 1970, who was the coach for 7 of those contests? That's right, Mr. PostSeasonLoser, Marty Scottenheimer. Joe Montana got him that only road win in Houston and it just so happens Montana never lost to Texas-based teams his entire career.

But lets look at more recent games played by the Chiefs in January since the turn of the decade. One road game at the end of the 2009 season, two home games at the end of 2010 ( regular season final, one playoff game ), and one road game at the end of the 2011 season. The result? Two victories on the road ( 2009 and 2011) and two blowout losses at home (2010). Are you going to tell me that the 2009 and 2011 squads were better than the 2010 squad?

Those 2 games that the did win at home in the post-season were not a result of them having the #1 seed and they barely won both of them.

Bottom line is, the Chiefs aren't likely getting the #1 seed.. Prepare for a 2nd meeting with Indy, this time in their park.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    dude seriously? Your saying our 3 loss season we are playing better away than at home? We have 2 home losses and 1 road loss. Denver beat us home and away. The bolts beat us at home. We have yet to play the bolts away. We very well could lose that second game on the road. Our defense needs a pass rush to be successful and every second counts. With our home crowd at least we can affect the snap count and get off the ball that much faster cause the oline of the opposition has to watch the ball as well

You feel like the donks don't have a real shot to lose one more game so that we can move into the number one seed. While your thinking that the rest of us are thinking what if we sit our starters and take a loss that we could have won easily and then Denver does lose to either one of their final 2 opponents. I'm sorry but I like our chances at home with a first round bye better than away all playoffs and having to play that extra game just to get to the superbowl

Have you not watched the games? The home crowd had no effect on Manning as he threw 5 TD passes. In Denver he had only 1. And overall, the Chiefs have played better ball on the road than at home -- go watch the games and look at the scores.

I never said the Chiefs shouldn't try and win these last two games. I said they don't need to risk everything or show all their cards & as far as winning either of these last two games "easily", that's pure BS. Neither are going to be easy.

And I don't care if anybody else likes the Chiefs chances at home with a bye. I like their chances on the road better & that isn't going to change based on what I've seen and know to be true.

The realty is, the Chiefs aren't likely getting the #1 seed. Get over it, and prepare for a road trip in the post-season
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 12-17-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 12

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, you are certainly thorough and consistent in your arguments, though my head is spinning. Just please answer two questions specifically. 1) Will you be disappointed if Denver loses a game, and we wind up with the first seed? 2) Give me one legitimate explanation as to why a team would reproducibly do better on the road and why that should be sustainable in going forward.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 340

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, you are certainly thorough and consistent in your arguments, though my head is spinning. Just please answer two questions specifically.

1) Will you be disappointed if Denver loses a game, and we wind up with the first seed?
    At the risk of being rude since the question was directed to brdempsey....Obviously, I'm THRILLED we are going to the playoffs. But like brdempsey I want one more shot this year at those double-damned donkeys! I want us to whup their ashes on our way to the Super Bowl.

2) Give me one legitimate explanation as to why a team would reproducibly do better on the road and why that should be sustainable in going forward.
    The idea does seem silly at first glance. But historically, home field "advantage" has not meant much of anything to the Chiefs during the playoffs in a long long time. Part of me says the First Seed would be a big benefit to us, but another part of me says it will be the kiss of death due to historical precedent. brdempsey is very good at keeping track of these things and I think sometimes puts a bit more faith in them than is warranted. I seem to remember a game earlier in the season where he was rather doom and gloom before the game because of historical precedent. As things turned out, we won anyway. That aside one of the oldest and truest sayings in the world is....."Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

My final word on the subject.....WE'RE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!! Whole new season from here!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    ^^Thank you, ctchiefsfan. That game was against the Giants that you are referring to. The Chiefs did beat them, but what I had been telling people was not to take them lightly and show them nothing but the utmost respect.

#1 seed is not as important, as just simply getting there to the post-season, which nobody thought they would. Also, I believe this squad would benefit greatly from getting some road-game postseason experience under its belt by playing that first post season game on the road -- because they most likely will be going back to the postseason in coming years.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, you are certainly thorough and consistent in your arguments, though my head is spinning. Just please answer two questions specifically. 1) Will you be disappointed if Denver loses a game, and we wind up with the first seed? 2) Give me one legitimate explanation as to why a team would reproducibly do better on the road and why that should be sustainable in going forward.
    1. No, if it happens, so be it. But I don't believe it will. They had their chance and blew both games to the Donkeys.

2. Go watch the games and look at the scores. The Chiefs have overall, performed better on the road this year than at home. Why that is, I don't know. But the Chiefs have not been dominant at home in 2013. Except for the loss in Denver, every opponent on the road has gone down by 9 or more points. That's not the case with the home games, as there has been a pair of one point victories, 2 losses, and they haven't won a home game since late Oct. against Cleveland, which was a close game, also. The Arrowhead advantage just isn't there for some reason this year & maybe it's because there are so many new faces on the Chiefs team.

Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!
    Not at all brdempsey. I just wanted to explain to my good friend NJChiefs that I understand where you are coming from on this as much as it does seem odd at first glance. Naturally, I'd love to see us get the first seed, but at the same time I worry that it might be a net negative. Really, for me this question is one of those "To be or not to be" deals. And I'm just not really sure which side I fall on. So I'll just have to settle for being damned glad we are in the playoffs and equally happy that here we are going into week 16 and we still have a shot at being the first seed.....even if I'm not sure if the first seed would actually benefit us.

First seed or 5th.....our Chiefs still have to go out there and get that first playoff win and I think that is going to be our Chiefs toughest task yet this year. If we get that first playoff win I feel pretty confident we will make it to the Super Bowl.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 754

1 Not allowed!
    Hold up a sec NJ...Brd did say in previous posts that he'd rather have the team keep winning, and it's his opinion (based from team history, and from what this current season has brought us) is that this team has performed better on the road (2 of our 3 losses were at Arrowhead). Sometimes teams lose focus if they're given a break, sometimes it's better to keep the nose against the grindstone and the back up against the wall.

The underlying message of what Brd is saying is that IF we don't get the top seed, a bye week or home field advantage...It's NOT the end of the world for the 2013 Chiefs. We're still a proven ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$ to anyone that has the misfortune of having us over as the visiting team.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Nicely said Eydugstr! Home or away, NOBODY can take a game against our Chiefs for granted.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 12-18-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Hold up a sec NJ...Brd did say in previous posts that he'd rather have the team keep winning, and it's his opinion (based from team history, and from what this current season has brought us) is that this team has performed better on the road (2 of our 3 losses were at Arrowhead). Sometimes teams lose focus if they're given a break, sometimes it's better to keep the nose against the grindstone and the back up against the wall.

The underlying message of what Brd is saying is that IF we don't get the top seed, a bye week or home field advantage...It's NOT the end of the world for the 2013 Chiefs. We're still a proven ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$ to anyone that has the misfortune of having us over as the visiting team.
    Thank you for mentioning that. Let us NOT forget that the Chiefs suffered 3 consecutive losses after their bye week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast