Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The San Diego game next week

Default The San Diego game next week

I just had an debate with a friend who thought the Chiefs should rest the starters next week, minimizing the risk of some starter injury, and take a loss now that they have clinched 5th seed.

Well, hold on, I say, hold on there, chicken hawk!!!... I think if there were ever a game to try to build self confidence heading into the playoffs it is the upcoming SD game. This team has to be feeling that they can't beat playoff caliber teams. The proof is in the pudding. Denver, SD, Denver again, and now Indy. I don't think anyone can argue that SD is a playoff caliber team that may have awaken a bit too late in the season. Beating them on their turf - even in a game meaningless to us otherwise - can transform this young squad from playoff losers to some advance potential.

So I say, go full force and don't worry about the risks.

Which side of this debate are you on?

I say rest the starters. What's done is done. TAMBA hurt his knee in the Indy game he definately needs to sit and Houstin should get a few reps to see where he is then sit him also. I say use this week in SD as our starters playoff bye and get them ready for Indy again in 2 weeks. At the very most great this as a preseason game and pull the starters at the half.

another note lets see how some of our benched players are developing who knows maybe bray can make an appearance and we can see how he's coming along. You know SD is very much alive in the wildcard race so they're going to play their starters. Should be interesting if our backups can beat them (trade values go sky high)

I say play the starters for the first quarter or first half. Have some scripted drives to accomplish specific things on offense, then pull them. Maybe get a 2 minute drill in there. If the O scores a couple times, even better. Let them go out on a high note. I would also consider pulling JC even earlier, possibly after the first series.

On Defense, I would play the starters including and especially Houston. We need to make sure he is comfortable/capable of reaching out for a running back with his injured arm and making they tackle, as well as driving through an OL-man. Most importantly, we need to be sure that Houston has the CONFIDENCE to do all the things he needs to do without hesitation. If Hali is hurt enough to not practice this week, then he should probably either sit or only play one or two series.
    Last edited by jap1; 12-23-2013 at 03:48 AM.

I think Jamaal Charles has earned a bye week. Besides, I'd like to see Knile Davis get 90 carries next week as he learns how to hold on to the damn ball. Outside of Jamaal and Alex Smith, I think all of our backups are as good as our starters anyway. I don't see a difference between AJ Jenkins, Junior Hemingway, Donnie Avery, or Dwayne Bowe! If so, please explain it because I just don't see it.

On defense, I'd rest everyone except the secondary. Not because they've earned it, but because they need it. They were on the field for 38 of the 60 minute game yesterday. The secondary needs to run laps as far as I'm concerned. Hit someone, figure out how to cover someone, geez. Pretend you have an ounce of self respect. Yes, you too Brandon Flowers! Our secondary has been absolutely torched week after week for weeks.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-23-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Rest the starters on offence and give Tyler Bray a chance. On defense I'd give the front 7 a rest but the secondary needs playing time. Make sure that everyone is healthy for the playoffs and hope that we have Albert and Houston back for then.

the only guy on this squad i see even deserving of rest would be jamaal charles. also perhaps D johnson but if that guy isnt in the center of the D i fear for that whole squad's professional careers as the wheels would truly fall off.

Alex smith is pretty smart about putting himself into positions where he wont be injured. we need him getting momentum and confidence.

If we dont come out and play with some tenacity and spirit away at san diego i feel we can basically kiss the rest of the post season goodbye. backing into the wildcard playoff game would be an understatement after getting a blowout loss vs SD at this point.

I also think we need to go all out to put a beating on san diego. A losing streak before the playoffs tends to lead to one and done. That said, I wouldn't want to see anyone who is hurt rushed back into the lineup before he is truly ready.

Beat them!! We can't let them in the playoffs!!!

Rest the Starters. Trying to build up momentum means squat when you lose a key starter playing a game that means nothing with your seeding. Everyone's goal is to make the superbowl. Winning or losing in San Diego does not help or jeapordize that goal unless someone gets hurt and then it only hurts.

What happens if you play the starters and the exact opposite happens. They get exploited like they did last time and it destroys team chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think Jamaal Charles has earned a bye week. Besides, I'd like to see Knile Davis get 90 carries next week as he learns how to hold on to the damn ball.
    Sadly I have a feeling fumbling can't be coached out of him. Maybe despite my motto I'm judging him too soon. But every time he gets the ball I have a sinking feeling in my chest.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast