Thread: Webnews: Gonzalez wants receivers to be protected against low hit

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Gonzalez wants receivers to be protected against low hit

0 Not allowed!
    By Mike Florio
    Tight end Tony Gonzalez has missed only two regular-season games in a career that stretches back to 1997.* As he prepares to play his last one, he wants more pass-catchers to have a chance to avoid serious injury, too. “The NFL has to do something to stop receivers in the open field from getting blindsided… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 431

0 Not allowed!
    I get what Tony is saying and why he would feel that way, but there is something to be said for the integrity of the game. They all take risks when they strap on the pads and step out on the field. Having said thus, I do feel that the game has grown increasingly too violent.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 12-26-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 58

1 Not allowed!
    I don't think you should intentionally hit anyone below the thighs or above the shoulders, but that doesn't mean you can't grab someone's ankles to make a tackle. Defenders try to hit the receiver just a split second after the ball arrives in order to knock it loose. Of course this is the exact same moment that receivers are the most defenseless. The responsibility lies with the QB to not make a throw that will put the receiver in danger, but most QBs are willing to take that risk (to someone else) in the hopes of making a big play, and receivers are paid big money to make those types of catches.

Can't hit 'em high, can't hit 'em low, can't hit 'em before the ball arrives, can't hit 'em while they are running their route (more than 5 yds beyond LOS), can't hit 'em if they are "defenseless." How is a DB supposed to play the game? It has gotten to the point where all you can do is wait for the receiver to catch the ball and then tackle him so there are no yards after the catch.

That's not football ... or at least it shouldn't be.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 12-28-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

Originally Posted by Name Withheld
    I don't think anything that's what wrong is nearly Smiths Falls we have no offense of line I think the coaches are free to call certain place I think he would absolutely do better with a different office of coordinator

Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 431

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I don't think you should intentionally hit anyone below the thighs or above the shoulders, but that doesn't mean you can't grab someone's ankles to make a tackle. Defenders try to hit the receiver just a split second after the ball arrives in order to knock it loose. Of course this is the exact same moment that receivers are the most defenseless. The responsibility lies with the QB to not make a throw that will put the receiver in danger, but most QBs are willing to take that risk (to someone else) in the hopes of making a big play, and receivers are paid big money to make those types of catches.

Can't hit 'em high, can't hit 'em low, can't hit 'em before the ball arrives, can't hit 'em while they are running their route (more than 5 yds beyond LOS), can't hit 'em if they are "defenseless." How is a DB supposed to play the game? It has gotten to the point where all you can do is wait for the receiver to catch the ball and then tackle him so there are no yards after the catch.

Very well stated my friend!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 702

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post

Agreed. My hope is that someone is working overtime to design better gear.