Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did Andy Reid call a time out with 4 seconds left in game?

Default Why did Andy Reid call a time out with 4 seconds left in game?

He asked if they could review the missed FG attempt. He knew there was 7 Chargers to the right of the center on the line of scrimmage. This is illegal as of the rule change in 2013 and a flag should have been thrown and a second attempt made at the game winning field goal.

Can someone post a pic right before the snap.... I can't until later when I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Four....

4) Ref overlooked something, when a WHOLE LOT was going on.

If you have ever refereed, or umpired, any sporting event, you know it is impossible to get every call, and that you will (unquestionably) make some bone-headed mistakes. Just as Jerry Rice dropped easy passes, right in his hands, or Joe Montana tossed INTs directly to his opponents, or like Michael Jordan missed free-throws with the game on the line.
    Just look at the game thread on here.... only one member noticed the penalty that wasn't called on that FG attempt.

The forth downd in OT though...... THAT was a collasal brain-fart in my opinion. Aside from just making a terrible call.... they opted to let it play, THEN, chose the only option that would not permit their mistake to be fixed by replay.

THAT was just plain idiocy.
    There's no denying the "human element" here, but I think the argument against the valid point you make is that these guys are supposed to be trained professionals who are getting paid pretty good, from what I here, not to miss those kinds of calls.

...And, you have hit the nail squarely on the head regarding the botched officiating over the strip and score in OT.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 12-31-2013 at 02:38 AM.

I saw an error the refs made in the Dallas game. Dallas just got a 20 something pass for a first down and were just getting to the line and got a delay of game because the clock was zero but the TV showed the play clock went from 40 seconds straight to 25 seconds and just skipped 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Isn't Chicago a bigger market than Green Bay? Same with Pitts/San Diego?
    The San Diego market is not just San Diego, but everything from the north end of Ventura county down to Mexico, including LA (although most of that is split with Traitor fans) and includes a lot of Polynesia (thanks to Jr Seau and Manti Te'o). I would argue that San Diego is a much bigger fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    The San Diego market is not just San Diego, but everything from the north end of Ventura county down to Mexico, including LA (although most of that is split with Traitor fans) and includes a lot of Polynesia (thanks to Jr Seau and Manti Te'o). I would argue that San Diego is a much bigger fan base.
    I live in so cal I know more Pittsburg fans than charger fans. Also when playing the raiders at home in SD they check addresses to try to limit the overpowering raider fan population in the stadium to give them a true home field advantage

Four....

If you have ever refereed, or umpired, any sporting event, you know it is impossible to get every call, and that you will (unquestionably) make some bone-headed mistakes. Just as Jerry Rice dropped easy passes, right in his hands, or Joe Montana tossed INTs directly to his opponents, or like Michael Jordan missed free-throws with the game on the line.
    Sorry dude, but I think this is BS. Look at the photo in this thread. How much closer should the officials be to the butts of those players not to "overlook" the greatly and obviously unbalanced line up?! There are two zebras standing close enough to the Chargers to smell a failure to wipe before the game. If you are a reasonably capable ref, you don't even have to count those ugly butts. You'd just feel the unbalance.

Four....

One problem with this. What if it was the Chargers trying to kick the game-winning FG and the the Chiefs had lined up that way? How do we know that there wouldn't have been flags flying all over place? And how is it that Andy Reid & his coaches from afar can see it ( and I'll bet the Chargers coaches knew it as well ), but TWO refs standing right at point-blank range didn't see it?

And given what happened with that strip-fumble TD ruling that gave the Chargers a 1st down in OT ( and no review from the replay booth? ), does create reasonable suspicion that they didn't just simply overlook what happened on that FG try.

That officiating crew should be banned from ever officiating an NFL game again. They want to conduct themselves like amateurs then let them go officiate at an amateur level and not in the NFL.

Thanks Frankenchief! Many calls that zebras make are questionable and IMO open to interpretation. But in this case the zebra on the right of the picture stood there for at least 8 seconds maybe longer staring directly at that unusual formation. This was no split second judgement. This was not something that happened in the blink of an eye. They had all the time in the world to look at that formation, think to themselves that it looked odd and then decide to count the number of players lined up to one side of the center. All the time in the world. The only plausible conclusion I can reach is that the zebra on the right of the picture simply had NO CLUE about the new rule. HE NEEDS TO FIRED!

And thanks to you too brdempsey. I try to give the zebras the "benefit of the doubt" as they do have a tough job. But this "non-call" was just way over the top!
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 12-31-2013 at 11:38 AM.

I just watched the play again. That brain-dead zebra stood there staring at the illegal formation for a MINIMUM of 12 seconds. Perhaps closer to 15. Nope. This was not a forgivable error. This was rank incompetence. The zebra had NO CLUE about the rule.

HEY HEY!

HO HO!

THAT DUMB ZEBRA HAS GOT TO GO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Sorry dude, but I think this is BS. Look at the photo in this thread. How much closer should the officials be to the butts of those players not to "overlook" the greatly and obviously unbalanced line up?! There are two zebras standing close enough to the Chargers to smell a failure to wipe before the game. If you are a reasonably capable ref, you don't even have to count those ugly butts. You'd just feel the unbalance.
    Frankenchief just summed it up right there. One zebra making a call, and the other one missing it is one thing. But BOTH ?!?!

Well, let's go ahead and entertain the conspiracy theory then.....

It has to be the stupidest attempt at rigging a game..... EVER.

I mean, who waits until the "bad guys are kicking a game-winning FG and then just allows the good guys to do something that has little effect, if any, and which was legal just last season?

It would be ridiculously easy to just throw a couple of holding flags before the "bad guys" ever get close.

Nobody here has never made an obvious mistake. Professional, or not, sometimes we make fools of ourselves.

Again.... ask Jordan, or Montana.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast