Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webnews: NFL acknowledges officiating error on Chiefs’ field-goal

Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: NFL acknowledges officiating error on Chiefs’ field-goal

0 Not allowed!
    By Mike Florio
    Bill Levy giveth.* And Bill Leavy taketh away. The same referee whom many regard as the man who helped deliver the Super Bowl XL trophy to the Steelers via multiple bad calls for which he eventually expressed regret led the crew that cost the Steelers a chance to win Super Bowl XLVIII. The NFL has… Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 326

0 Not allowed!
    Fire the idiot.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!
    Still Succop should have made it. You can tell as he ran on the field. He was unsettled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 120

0 Not allowed!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

1 Not allowed!
    As irritating as this is there is, unfortunately, nothing at all that we can do about it.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 76

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    As irritating as this is there is, unfortunately, nothing at all that we can do about it.
    Nothing we can do about it, but the NFL needs to do something about these officials whether it be fire or fine whoever was responsible to call that penalty. And also make no exceptions on what can be reviewed or not if the play should have been ruled dead prior to snap

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    Nothing we can do about it, but the NFL needs to do something about these officials whether it be fire or fine whoever was responsible to call that penalty. And also make no exceptions on what can be reviewed or not if the play should have been ruled dead prior to snap

True, it is the leagues responsibility to be sure that the officials get it right, but as long as human beings are making the calls there will be mistakes. Certain incentives may help ensure better officiating, but mistakes by flawed, human officials will forever be apart of the game.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    But if we make enough of a stink about it then perhaps the NFL will do something about the officiating. It has been absolutely ATTROCIOUS this year.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    True, it is the leagues responsibility to be sure that the officials get it right, but as long as human beings are making the calls there will be mistakes. Certain incentives may help ensure better officiating, but mistakes by flawed, human officials will forever be apart of the game.
    You make some important points. And the zebras will never be perfect. But I reject your conclusion that there is nothing we can do about incompetent officials.

As an example. Football is a violent sport. With the tackle zone shrinking every year in an effort to protect players, it is tougher for players to avoid making illegal hits. There is a system in place to punish players for illegal hits. They can be penalized, fined or suspended. There is no system in place that I am aware of to punish zebras for bad officiating. Sometimes when a player makes an illegal hit no zebra sees it. That happens. The zebras can't be everywhere and they can't see everything. Sometimes the zebras take a "let them play" attitude and that is OK so long as they still enforce BLATANTLY illegal hits. But when a player BLATANTLY violates the hitting rule and a zebra sees it, that player is going to get penalized and maybe fined.

What system is in place to punish blatantly incompetent officiating? Little if anything. This makes the zebras free to enforce the rules any way they damned well want with no fear of repercussions.

The NFL has had to admit SEVERAL times this year that the Leavey officiating crew are bunch of blind and incompetent toads. But they are still on the field, They are still getting a full paycheck.

The only repercussions for their blatantly incompetent officiating has been the NFL saying "OOOOPS!".

If their is going to be no system in place to punish blatantly incompetent zebras other than the NFL saying "OOOPS!" then when a player makes an illegal hit, the team he is on should be given a choice......either the player goes to a microphone and says "OOOPS!" or a penalty of 15 yards is imposed.

Somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

There needs to be a system in place to punish incompetent zebras or crews. Not doing so invites questioning the integrity of the game.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    You make some important points. And the zebras will never be perfect. But I reject your conclusion that there is nothing we can do about incompetent officials.

As an example. Football is a violent sport. With the tackle zone shrinking every year in an effort to protect players, it is tougher for players to avoid making illegal hits. There is a system in place to punish players for illegal hits. They can be penalized, fined or suspended. There is no system in place that I am aware of to punish zebras for bad officiating. Sometimes when a player makes an illegal hit no zebra sees it. That happens. The zebras can't be everywhere and they can't see everything. Sometimes the zebras take a "let them play" attitude and that is OK so long as they still enforce BLATANTLY illegal hits. But when a player BLATANTLY violates the hitting rule and a zebra sees it, that player is going to get penalized and maybe fined.

What system is in place to punish blatantly incompetent officiating? Little if anything. This makes the zebras free to enforce the rules any way they damned well want with no fear of repercussions.

The NFL has had to admit SEVERAL times this year that the Leavey officiating crew are bunch of blind and incompetent toads. But they are still on the field, They are still getting a full paycheck.

The only repercussions for their blatantly incompetent officiating has been the NFL saying "OOOOPS!".

If their is going to be no system in place to punish blatantly incompetent zebras other than the NFL saying "OOOPS!" then when a player makes an illegal hit, the team he is on should be given a choice......either the player goes to a microphone and says "OOOPS!" or a penalty of 15 yards is imposed.

Somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

There needs to be a system in place to punish incompetent zebras or crews. Not doing so invites questioning the integrity of the game.
    I agree with everything you have said here except that I in anyway concluded that there's nothing we could do about it. I was merely pointing out, in my first post, that there is nothing that can be done about the results at this point, the game is in the books. My apologies if I had not made that clear. In my second post I pointed out that the quality of officiating is the leagues responsibility. I have long said that, especially at this level, the officiating should not be a "side" job, that it should be a full time, primary occupation with real consequences for incompetence. You do have a valid point regarding little to no repercussions for incompetent officiating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast