Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Latest 1st round mock

Default Latest 1st round mock

24. Kansas City Chiefs: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
    The upside Benjamin possesses is unequal in next year's draft. He's a massive wide receiver at 6'5 and more than 230 pounds and can make spectacular catches look routine.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/12/30/ 5255782/2014-nfl-mock-draft-jadeveon-clowney-johnn y-manziel-bridgewater

I guess I'm gonna have to watch the NCAA championship game now.

I think a TE pick would be misplaced. We never got to see what Kelce has and Fasano has been good when healthy. I wouldn't be opposed to a TE flyer in the later rounds, but only the front office really knows what they've got at TE and I defer to their judgment at that spot.

There's a good chance the Browns are going to take a QB early in the first and will be looking for more offensive firepower to help out their guy. They've already got Josh Gordon on one side... why not pair him up with Dwayne Bowe? This frees up their 1st pick for the Browns to address other positions of need instead of another WR to help the rookie QB.

Bowe did nothing for the Chiefs this season and losing him wouldn't be any worse than the production we got from him. He played well below replacement level this season and finding more production from that spot shouldn't be too difficult, not to mention, free up some cap space. This offensive system just doesn't utilize a guy like Bowe all that well. The Chiefs need more speed and precise route running instead of large, possession receivers like Bowe. I really think this deal works out well for both teams.

We could address the WR position with either of those picks and still have another top 36 pick to burn on another position of need. The Chiefs need to let Albert walk this season. He did not play very well this year and his selection to the Pro Bowl is suspect, imo. I think having Fisher on the right side has stunted his development and he needs to get back to the left side asap. That puts Stephenson on the right side and makes OL a position of need as far as depth is concerned. I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs franchise Albert again as long as they traded him to Miami or any other team to perhaps get some kind of draft pick compensation in return. I wouldn't be opposed to Miami's #51 overall pick. But this should definitely be Albert's last season in KC. This would also save the Chiefs about $10m in cap space.

If the Chiefs trade Albert and Bowe, we'd get 2 2nd round picks and about $20m in cap space to play with. You should be able to find a WR who at the very least performed at Bowe's level this season and a 3rd OT to take Stephenson's place on the depth chart as he moves to the right side permanently. You've already got Albert's replacement in-house. That 3rd OT can be found in the 3rd round or later. So, now you've got $20m and 3 picks in the first 2 rounds to get some serious help wherever you feel you need it, be it at WR, secondary, TE, QB, or OL.

Personally, I would rule out TE and QB for the first couple rounds unless a guy falls in your lap that you absolutely have to take. I'm good with Flowers, Smith, and Cooper at CB and Berry at SS. FS is a position of need imo. I really liked Kendrick coming into the season, but the FS play has been poor all year. Unless they think Demps is the future at that spot, FS is something I'd look long and hard at.

I like Hudson, Allen, and Asamoah on the interior with Fisher and Stephenson on the outside. Poe, Jackson, and DeVito have done great on the D-line interior. Obviously, the linebackers have been gangbusters all year. I wouldn't mind some depth at the OLB spot, but I'm not sure it's a position I'd spend one of my first 3 picks unless, again, someone just fell in our lap.
    Last edited by texaschief; 01-01-2014 at 04:13 PM.

I would also look at what kind of market was available for a guy like Tamba Hali. If the Chiefs could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him, I might make that trade if I could go after a guy like Brian Orakpo as a free agent. That could get you a 4th pick in the first 2 rounds. Jared Veldheer would be another free agent name that would get my attention. He's probably a top 3 LT and taking him away from Oakland could pay dividends as Oakland looks to be set up quite nicely going forward with the most money to spend ($68m) and quite a bit of young talent on board. Eric Decker is scheduled to be a free agent, but I don't see how Denver could let this guy go. However, they do have a ocuple other big free agents coming up like Rodgers-Cromartie and Knowshon Moreno with not a lot of cap space with which to sign them.

Unless we're talking about freak talent, I have a hard time going with a WR in the first round... especially late. If we're talking about Andre or Calvin Johnson, that's one thing. But when you get toward the bottom 3rd of the first round, you're usually looking at guys like A.J. Jenkins and Jonathan Baldwin. Serious hit or miss territory for WRs. I think OL or FS would be the way to go late in the first assuming an obvious selection like Clowney isn't sitting there.

***Sorry about the weird posts. It wouldn't let me post it all together for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I'm good with Flowers, Smith, and Cooper at CB and Berry at SS.
    I would trade Flowers way before I would trade Bowe. Bowe paired with a speedy hand-cather could be a lethal combo. Flowers is just too small for today's WRs.

I think a TE pick would be misplaced. We never got to see what Kelce has and Fasano has been good when healthy. I wouldn't be opposed to a TE flyer in the later rounds, but only the front office really knows what they've got at TE and I defer to their judgment at that spot.

There's a good chance the Browns are going to take a QB early in the first and will be looking for more offensive firepower to help out their guy. They've already got Josh Gordon on one side... why not pair him up with Dwayne Bowe? This frees up their 1st pick for the Browns to address other positions of need instead of another WR to help the rookie QB.

Bowe did nothing for the Chiefs this season and losing him wouldn't be any worse than the production we got from him. He played well below replacement level this season and finding more production from that spot shouldn't be too difficult, not to mention, free up some cap space. This offensive system just doesn't utilize a guy like Bowe all that well. The Chiefs need more speed and precise route running instead of large, possession receivers like Bowe. I really think this deal works out well for both teams.

We could address the WR position with either of those picks and still have another top 36 pick to burn on another position of need. The Chiefs need to let Albert walk this season. He did not play very well this year and his selection to the Pro Bowl is suspect, imo. I think having Fisher on the right side has stunted his development and he needs to get back to the left side asap. That puts Stephenson on the right side and makes OL a position of need as far as depth is concerned. I wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs franchise Albert again as long as they traded him to Miami or any other team to perhaps get some kind of draft pick compensation in return. I wouldn't be opposed to Miami's #51 overall pick. But this should definitely be Albert's last season in KC. This would also save the Chiefs about $10m in cap space.

If the Chiefs trade Albert and Bowe, we'd get 2 2nd round picks and about $20m in cap space to play with. You should be able to find a WR who at the very least performed at Bowe's level this season and a 3rd OT to take Stephenson's place on the depth chart as he moves to the right side permanently. You've already got Albert's replacement in-house. That 3rd OT can be found in the 3rd round or later. So, now you've got $20m and 3 picks in the first 2 rounds to get some serious help wherever you feel you need it, be it at WR, secondary, TE, QB, or OL.

Personally, I would rule out TE and QB for the first couple rounds unless a guy falls in your lap that you absolutely have to take. I'm good with Flowers, Smith, and Cooper at CB and Berry at SS. FS is a position of need imo. I really liked Kendrick coming into the season, but the FS play has been poor all year. Unless they think Demps is the future at that spot, FS is something I'd look long and hard at.

I like Hudson, Allen, and Asamoah on the interior with Fisher and Stephenson on the outside. Poe, Jackson, and DeVito have done great on the D-line interior. Obviously, the linebackers have been gangbusters all year. I wouldn't mind some depth at the OLB spot, but I'm not sure it's a position I'd spend one of my first 3 picks unless, again, someone just fell in our lap.
    Trading Bowe and Albert is a scary idea but IF we could get a second round pick for each I would have a hard time arguing with it.

If you think Bowe inst a necessity you are wrong. What is a smaller speedy WR going to do for us with blocking downfield? In our offensive system that's a must! All year long I've heard Bowe's name being called by the announcers about what an amazing block he provided. He's a team player and hasn't been selfish. He hasn't thrown a fit because he's not getting the ball like he thinks he should and until that changes I say WE NEED DWAYNE BOWE.

Bowe's size is good, no doubt. But it's definitely not irreplaceable... and neither is his blocking ability. It doesn't take much to block as a WR. All you really need to do is get in the way for a split second. His size can dominate smaller DBs, but it's rarely necessary. A receiver who runs precise routes, has speed, and dependable hands even if he's only got half of Bowe's blocking ability would be far more valuable... not to mention MUCH cheaper if that guy isn't Eric Decker.

I'd much rather spend that money on a WR who can produce than just a glorified downfield blocker. His contract necessitates that he contributes MUCH more than just downfield blocking or the occasional 7 yard slant. Bowe is paid like and puts himself in the same class as guys like Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, etc. but plays at a far inferior level in almost every aspect of the game.

A WR making that kind of money needs to dominate in the passing/receiving game... not the run game.

There has been very little difference between the OL play when Albert is playing and when he's not. Allowing him to leave/trading him doesn't seem like that big of a risk to me. Those two players account for $22m against the cap and they're playing at or below replacement level production. Albert and Bowe DID NOT contribute at a level this year that would warrant their respective salaries. If you can get comparable production at a fraction of the price, that's a move that should be made.

Tex, I don't disagree with most of our ideas, but I am a little concernd that you would trade Bowe and not want to draft someone at the top of the draft. With or without Bowe we need another WR. I can see Hemingway replacing Bowes production (both as a blocker and WR) but as you say we need that speedy route runner on the other side.

Bowe in the slot with a dependable deep threat would benefit both players

Bowe's size is good, no doubt. But it's definitely not irreplaceable... and neither is his blocking ability. It doesn't take much to block as a WR. All you really need to do is get in the way for a split second. His size can dominate smaller DBs, but it's rarely necessary. A receiver who runs precise routes, has speed, and dependable hands even if he's only got half of Bowe's blocking ability would be far more valuable... not to mention MUCH cheaper if that guy isn't Eric Decker.

I'd much rather spend that money on a WR who can produce than just a glorified downfield blocker. His contract necessitates that he contributes MUCH more than just downfield blocking or the occasional 7 yard slant. Bowe is paid like and puts himself in the same class as guys like Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, etc. but plays at a far inferior level in almost every aspect of the game.

A WR making that kind of money needs to dominate in the passing/receiving game... not the run game.

There has been very little difference between the OL play when Albert is playing and when he's not. Allowing him to leave/trading him doesn't seem like that big of a risk to me. Those two players account for $22m against the cap and they're playing at or below replacement level production. Albert and Bowe DID NOT contribute at a level this year that would warrant their respective salaries. If you can get comparable production at a fraction of the price, that's a move that should be made.
    I don't agree. If we get someone to compliment Dwayne Bowe he will be a tough match up. Right now he is getting everyone's best and as others have said, he is not complaining. You put Bowe Opposite Welker and Thomas in Denver and he is a big play threat. He is not the blazer, but could make big plays with a true blazer keeping the safeties honest and a good possession/slot reciever as mentioned benefits Decker. Kelce may be a good fit, as Moeaki was, if he can also stay healthy, would also help create the "seperation" everyone desires.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast