Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking about the season that just ended

Default Talking about the season that just ended

Anther season has come and gone. And yet anther 1 and done playoff year has happened. Right now it feels like we all just had our hearts ripped out stomped on put back in only to have them ripped out again. But lets talk about this season.

Offense: This will be the theme of this season a tale of 2 halfs. The first half of the season this offense was lackluster. I don't think you can say they were horrible but they also weren't making anyone shake in their boots. The key thing was they were on point when it was needed. After the bye this offense saw a overhaul. It seemed to be a FAR more aggressive offense. They looked down field FAR more then they did at the start of the year. Alex Smith played at a pretty high level. While there is for sure room to improve the offense ends the year looking like it might be on to something. Some help is needed but there is a good feel for this offense. Alex Smith took a 2-14 team to the playoffs. That can't be discounted. Like I've said a number of times sure you can say they didn't beat anyone with a winning record and all that. But unlike last year you can't say they didn't beat anyone. They played some of the same teams that kicked this teams rear ends last year and won. Like Buffalo. That's improvement no matter how you spin it. B- final grade. Ended closer to a B+ A- but started at a C C-.

Defense. Like the offense just the reverse. Started out carrying the team. Then it seems they just vanished into thin air. While I'm very upset at their level of play at the end of the year the start of the year can't be ignored either. And like I said with the offense you can say it was against weak teams all you want but unlike last year they were a big part in this team beating SOMEONE. The players on Defense in this core group that have been together for a number of years now need to look in the mirror. They need to find out just who the hell they are. Are they the defense that was kicking A** and taking names in the first half of the year. Or are they the d we saw against the Colts playoff game that we saw at times last year. CB help is a must along with safety they are not as close as we thought at the midway point of the year. Very disappointed in how they ended the year but to be fair I also have to give them a B- or C+. When they were bad they were worse then the offense was at their weak point so C+ it is.

Coaching. Andy Reid ends his first year in KC. He took on a 2-14 team and took them to the playoffs. That is going to lead to a good grade no matter what. I do have to question some of his offensive playcalls. But hey I'm no head coach. I do think it's clear that he was holding back on offense at the start of the season. And I really don't understand why you would do that. But hey again he took this team to the playoffs. His challenges were outstanding I don't think he lost more then 1 all year if that. While there are some choices I think he would like to have back I feel pretty good about him right now. I hope he can improve the staff and it will only get better. Final grade B+

It was a fun year for the most part outside the bad ending. I look forward to seeing Reid and Dorsey work. They have got to find help at the WR spot and at a lot of spots on the defense. GET IT DONE guys
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Just can't do it right now......

I agree....The sting hasn't left me yet.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

It does sting, but to think how well we did does ease the pain. I can only hope that this team keeps on taking the right steps forward. I look forward to what the coaches and staff do in the off season to make sure we do get better and not go backwards. That way we can return to the playoffs and not be one and out!.

I know that this season was by far better than I could have ever imagined but right now I`m just sick and it will take some time to get over this.

Glad I'm not the only one. Season just went to pooh and I just got laid off work YAY I'm a HAPPY camper..(sarcasm) :( my heart is broken

I think, with regards to our D, the book got out the first Bronco game, that if you use multi wide formations, taking us out of our base 3-4, that we don't have enough capable corners to go one on one with their wideouts, especially when they use that crossing route. And to often, there is no deep middle help, not sure if that's by design as we are blitzing or someone makes a mistake

It was great season with a disappointing ending. I believe that the Chiefs are a couple of years away & this regime needs a couple more offseasons to get all the pieces together.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Anther season has come and gone. And yet anther 1 and done playoff year has happened. Right now it feels like we all just had our hearts ripped out stomped on put back in only to have them ripped out again. But lets talk about this season.

Offense: This will be the theme of this season a tale of 2 halfs. The first half of the season this offense was lackluster. I don't think you can say they were horrible but they also weren't making anyone shake in their boots. The key thing was they were on point when it was needed. After the bye this offense saw a overhaul. It seemed to be a FAR more aggressive offense. They looked down field FAR more then they did at the start of the year. Alex Smith played at a pretty high level. While there is for sure room to improve the offense ends the year looking like it might be on to something. Some help is needed but there is a good feel for this offense. Alex Smith took a 2-14 team to the playoffs. That can't be discounted. Like I've said a number of times sure you can say they didn't beat anyone with a winning record and all that. But unlike last year you can't say they didn't beat anyone. They played some of the same teams that kicked this teams rear ends last year and won. Like Buffalo. That's improvement no matter how you spin it. B- final grade. Ended closer to a B+ A- but started at a C C-.

Defense. Like the offense just the reverse. Started out carrying the team. Then it seems they just vanished into thin air. While I'm very upset at their level of play at the end of the year the start of the year can't be ignored either. And like I said with the offense you can say it was against weak teams all you want but unlike last year they were a big part in this team beating SOMEONE. The players on Defense in this core group that have been together for a number of years now need to look in the mirror. They need to find out just who the hell they are. Are they the defense that was kicking A** and taking names in the first half of the year. Or are they the d we saw against the Colts playoff game that we saw at times last year. CB help is a must along with safety they are not as close as we thought at the midway point of the year. Very disappointed in how they ended the year but to be fair I also have to give them a B- or C+. When they were bad they were worse then the offense was at their weak point so C+ it is.

Coaching. Andy Reid ends his first year in KC. He took on a 2-14 team and took them to the playoffs. That is going to lead to a good grade no matter what. I do have to question some of his offensive playcalls. But hey I'm no head coach. I do think it's clear that he was holding back on offense at the start of the season. And I really don't understand why you would do that. But hey again he took this team to the playoffs. His challenges were outstanding I don't think he lost more then 1 all year if that. While there are some choices I think he would like to have back I feel pretty good about him right now. I hope he can improve the staff and it will only get better. Final grade B+

It was a fun year for the most part outside the bad ending. I look forward to seeing Reid and Dorsey work. They have got to find help at the WR spot and at a lot of spots on the defense. GET IT DONE guys
    Great post. Our offense/defense seemed to flip flop their performance at roughly the same time. Our offense suffered from dropped passes initially; from the first SD game onward it wasn't near as bad. Defensively think other teams started to catch on to how to rip our secondary apart, and then built on it. Our D made some adjustments (look at the difference between the first SD game and the second. The crossing patterns were just not as effective the second time around.) But we didn't make enough to counter what other teams did (they probably saved their best plays for the last part of the season, too.)

This year was another year where we got hit with the injury bug, too. The injuries seemed to happen to us at the WORST possible time. We didn't really have a stable TE situation until middway through the season; Tamba and Houston going down in the same game (1st broncos game). JC going down at the beginning of a playoff game. Knile Davis going down in that same game.

Really happy with Reid/Dorsey. We've got a great ST coach in Taub. Sutton is the big question mark right now. Don't think that he'll get the axe, but if he does will they stick with the 3-4, or go back to a 4-3 like Reid said he was fond of when he came here?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    It was great season with a disappointing ending. I believe that the Chiefs are a couple of years away & this regime needs a couple more offseasons to get all the pieces together.
    I agree. I had come to the possibly erroneous conclusion that we'd make a legit Super Bowl run as early as next year. But a look at our cap situation and the fact that we have more holes than it appeared in the first half of the season convinces me that we will be a better team next year with not necessarily as good a record. 2016 seems to be the year we should hope for our SB run. My problem with that is Peyton Manning will probably be gone by then depriving us from seeing him swept convincingly by the Chiefs.
    Last edited by Frankenchief; 01-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast