Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about this defense

Default Lets talk about this defense

I no a lot of people might not like what I'm going to say but this defense is OVERRATED highly OVERRATED.

There was a time they were carrying the team. No one can deny that. But when it mattered most they were no where to be found. In the Denver games the Chargers at Arrowhead. Where were they. Giving up tds. That's where. It's what they do in the biggest games. The first time ANYTHING goes wrong they FREAKING QUIT. It has happened time and time again. Last year so many wanted to put it on the QB. Well it's not like the defense was doing much half the time either. Yes some of the points were off turnovers but there were pleanty of points that weren't. The moment the game didn't go their way THEY QUIT.

I'm sick of the quitting. As far as I see it there need to be MANY changes on the defensive side of the ball. There is 0 excuse for them. I sick of hereing them. Were there injuries sure there were. But there were also injuires on the offensive side of the ball and they put up 44 points. 44 points folks. There were bigger injuries on the offensive side of the ball. The MVP of this team played a grand total of 6 plays. The difference the offense didn't quit the defense did. And lets not pretend they were doing the job before Flowers,Houston got hurt they had already given up a ton of points and had given the Colts the momentum. I'm sick of this defense laying an egg in big games. Bowe has that rap and he has earned it over the years.(but not today) The D is getting that wrap to. It needs to be talked about. This defense just isn't as good as people think. And much worse they are SOFT. Maybe it's just the frustration of it. But that's how I feel about this defense right now. They need to grow a freaking pair and MAN up in big games instead of quitting. JUST ONE FREAKING TIME.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I posted this in a different thread, but like a lot of people, I'm not happy with the secondary's play. The question I have is if this was a result of poor game planning (defensive coordinator's fault), technique (players and secondary coaches fault), or failure to execute (players fault). I feel like it is probably a little of everything, which makes it harder to fix.

we need a new FS, improve our 4 and 5 corners, and I would like some better interior pass rush in nickel formations

The secondary is the main concern. Our cornerbacks just always look slow and a step behind. Kendrick Lewis & Dunta Ronbinson are both pathetic and surely cannot come back next year. I think it's pretty apparent that we need to draft/sign at least one starting calibre safety and a corner with speed.

im also pissed at bob sutton, we are getting absolutely torched and there seemed to be no adjustments made. That whole second half I was thinking where are the delayed safety/linebacker blitzes and why are we playing so conservatively, it was obvious if Luck had time he would annihilate our defensive backs.

I'm reminiscing about Albert Lewis and Kevin Ross.
    SHUT IT

Number 13 KILLED us all game. Hilton was open all day. Why we didn't have a ball and chain on that guy is beyond me.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
    The secondary is the main concern. Our cornerbacks just always look slow and a step behind. Kendrick Lewis & Dunta Ronbinson are both pathetic and surely cannot come back next year. I think it's pretty apparent that we need to draft/sign at least one starting calibre safety and a corner with speed.

im also pissed at bob sutton, we are getting absolutely torched and there seemed to be no adjustments made. That whole second half I was thinking where are the delayed safety/linebacker blitzes and why are we playing so conservatively, it was obvious if Luck had time he would annihilate our defensive backs.
    I hope that is only because he is new to being a DC, but he needs to make better adjustments. The whole season we were torched in the 3rd quarter.

It was a soft zone scheme that killed us in the second half. Did you ever see 2 guys on 13 AT THE LINE? No! The DC kept our guys in a soft zone which always opens the short passing lanes and that is how they chopped us up the second half. We should have had pressure on the receivers on the line and made their receivers fight for a lane, but instead our DC kept our guys in soft zones 3-10 yards off the line of scrimmage and our safeties were usually 10-15 yards downfield. It wasn't hard for Suck, er Luck to pick us apart underneath. The defensive play calling gave it to him and a soft zone only works when our defensive line is getting pressure, which they weren't. So, this is all on our pathetic defensive coordinator, pure and simple.

I agree. the D let this one slip away. giving up 45 pts is embarrassing. ive said along D's win PO's and SB's. we just don't have what it takes to stand up under the pressure of big games like this. they really remind me of D's in the past. Reid's got his work cut out now.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    It was a soft zone scheme that killed us in the second half. Did you ever see 2 guys on 13 AT THE LINE? No! The DC kept our guys in a soft zone which always opens the short passing lanes and that is how they chopped us up the second half. We should have had pressure on the receivers on the line and made their receivers fight for a lane, but instead our DC kept our guys in soft zones 3-10 yards off the line of scrimmage and our safeties were usually 10-15 yards downfield. It wasn't hard for Suck, er Luck to pick us apart underneath. The defensive play calling gave it to him and a soft zone only works when our defensive line is getting pressure, which they weren't. So, this is all on our pathetic defensive coordinator, pure and simple.
    I thought we were in man until Flowers was hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast