Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk about this defense

Default Lets talk about this defense

I no a lot of people might not like what I'm going to say but this defense is OVERRATED highly OVERRATED.

There was a time they were carrying the team. No one can deny that. But when it mattered most they were no where to be found. In the Denver games the Chargers at Arrowhead. Where were they. Giving up tds. That's where. It's what they do in the biggest games. The first time ANYTHING goes wrong they FREAKING QUIT. It has happened time and time again. Last year so many wanted to put it on the QB. Well it's not like the defense was doing much half the time either. Yes some of the points were off turnovers but there were pleanty of points that weren't. The moment the game didn't go their way THEY QUIT.

I'm sick of the quitting. As far as I see it there need to be MANY changes on the defensive side of the ball. There is 0 excuse for them. I sick of hereing them. Were there injuries sure there were. But there were also injuires on the offensive side of the ball and they put up 44 points. 44 points folks. There were bigger injuries on the offensive side of the ball. The MVP of this team played a grand total of 6 plays. The difference the offense didn't quit the defense did. And lets not pretend they were doing the job before Flowers,Houston got hurt they had already given up a ton of points and had given the Colts the momentum. I'm sick of this defense laying an egg in big games. Bowe has that rap and he has earned it over the years.(but not today) The D is getting that wrap to. It needs to be talked about. This defense just isn't as good as people think. And much worse they are SOFT. Maybe it's just the frustration of it. But that's how I feel about this defense right now. They need to grow a freaking pair and MAN up in big games instead of quitting. JUST ONE FREAKING TIME.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Nope. It's man coverage when they pick up their receivers on the line. The DC kept our guys off the line and that is why they ran right past our secondary and kept making the 3-10 yard pickups so often. There was 3 man covers that I remember in the 2nd half and they were effective, but the defensive play calling was a type of prevent that, in theory, keeps the receivers withing the safety box. Problem is, it allows for underneath passes and that is how they chopped us up; plus the spaghetti-armed tackling after the passes were caught.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Nope. It's man coverage when they pick up their receivers on the line. The DC kept our guys off the line and that is why they ran right past our secondary and kept making the 3-10 yard pickups so often. There was 3 man covers that I remember in the 2nd half and they were effective, but the defensive play calling was a type of prevent that, in theory, keeps the receivers withing the safety box. Problem is, it allows for underneath passes and that is how they chopped us up; plus the spaghetti-armed tackling after the passes were caught.
    Actually you can be in man coverage without lining up right on the line. It's called giving a cushion. At times we were in man with our CB/NB 10 yards off in the first half. I wasn't really watching the secondary in the second half though, I was watching the DL more, so they could have been in zone without me realizing it, but it seemed more like man to me.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    Quoted for truth. Our secondary only scares people if we have a shot at a pick. We need someone in that backfield that wants to tackle and is capable of dominating a secondary. The guys we have now are just too inconsistent and when we play good teams, it always gets ripped apart.

My guess is that when the offseason rolls around, we'll be looking at WR's and secondary help.

Our def went down when flowers went down. They had took robinson out of the game after the first series of the game amd put flowers at nickel amd coooper at cb. Then when flowers got hurt robinson came back in at nickel amd then he also got hurt and we had a safety playing cb. It might have seemed we were playing soft cuz we had to with all the injuries To our secondary.
    What we need to do is keep cooper as depth and bring in a speedier cb and get rid of robinson. And then replace lewis.

We need more depth at cb.

I here the talk about coaching and would buy it if this hadn't been something this defense has done since before Sutton got to KC. At the end of the day you are who you are. It's shown by what you do. And what this defense does is let down in the biggest games and quit as soon as things get tough. Might have a different view tomorrow but this defense to me just is VERY overrated. I'm just sick of them doing this in big games.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

this defense was on the verge of collapse since the bye week come back. If we didnt see this coming by now then you just dont have the vision to notice whats happening.

There cant be a single personnel hole that accounts for consistent down field wide open receivers so consistently as they have been since the first denver game. Not even Kendrick Lewis, with all his level of suck and disappointment, can be held solely responsible, for giving 15 yard cushion off the line and left wide open for 10-15 yard gains all quarter long.

We need a new defensive coordinator hes old and can't game plan or make adjustments to save his life!!!!

Open field tackling. THAT was the worst part of our D and the glaring diff between our D and the Colts. I don't think I saw one arm tackle by their defenders. Always wrapping our guys up. Our D was whiffing on a lot of open field tackles with soft arm tackles.

Of course our guys were taking bad angles most of the day that led to some of the arm tackles when they were out of position to wrap up.

This defense fed on weak teams and showed their true color against playoff teams

weird the offense was the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    This defense fed on weak teams and showed their true color against playoff teams

weird the offense was the other way around.
    Yep

After the bye is when the games got big. The offense stepped up the defense CAVED.

I wanted to put last year on Romeo more then anyone on here. But at some point the players are who they are. This defense has a history of caving. Last year the season opener against the Falcons was a big game. They caved for the first of many times. This year the big games they caved again. It's a pattern. Some of the guys that we were high on are just as guilty. Some big time changes need to happen. Sutton can't be held to blame for all of this. Though his seat does need to be hot. VERY hot. Right now I have as much faith in this teams defense as I did after 03.

On the flip side the offense has been very very encouraging. I was ok with Alex Smith when the trade happened. And I have seen nothing to say that he can't take this team far. In fact today after Charles went down I saw a guy step up his game and play OUTSTANDING. Not perfect but how many times do you lose when you score 44 points. Alex put the team on his back and carried them. The problem is the defense was just there to steal money. Like they have been for a good chunk of the year after the bye
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12