Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trimming the Fat and Fortifying the Structure

Default Trimming the Fat and Fortifying the Structure

As we saw in their playoff game against the Colts and their overall performance after the bye week, there are still a bunch of holes to fill on this team. The offense really came on strong at the end of the year and performed well against some pretty decent defenses. The offense could use a couple tweaks and perhaps some WR help to go along with an OL move or two. But it's extremely obvious where the primary focus of this offseason should be. After the bye week, if this defense wasn't getting turnovers, they were getting absolutely dominated. There is no excuse for a team who benefited from 4 turnovers and scored 44 points to EVER LOSE THAT GAME! You can't play a man defense lined up 13 yards off the receiver... that makes no sense what so ever.

The problem this Chiefs team has going into the offseason is that they have the third highest projected payroll in the league. There is no room to maneuver in free agency AND that's not including re-signing Branden Albert. There are WAY too many holes on this team to tie up $10m in Albert, $12m in Bowe, and many others that don't contribute at a level their salary would suggest. So, I wrote this article to sort of lay out scenarios and or suggestions that would allow the Chiefs to fill some holes and become a much better team than they were in 2013.

I am going to list the players that I think the Chiefs should part with. I will list their 2014 cap number and how much the Chiefs would save by cutting that player.

Dwayne Bowe- 12m/(-4.25m)
    Dunta Robinson- 5.3m/+3.3m
    Tamba Hali- 11.4m/+5.5
    *(Branden Albert) Free Agent projected at 9m/yr

Obviously I'm not going to suggest a straight release of guys like Bowe or Hali. However, Dunta Robinson is an obvious cut candidate. Cooper has taken that #3 CB from Robinson and the Chiefs will surely add depth over the offseason in that secondary. Nobody is going to have any trade interest in the guy, so releasing him is probably the move.

The Chiefs are sitting at $121m committed for next season. The salary cap is projected to be somewhere in the $120s. Remember, that number is WITHOUT Branden Albert for next season... and without adding any additional help. How in the world is this team going to get better with no room to operate?

I propose a trade of Dwayne Bowe to Cleveland for either their 2nd 1st round pick or their 2nd round pick. Dwayne Bowe has a $16.25m "dead money" number. This means that if the Chiefs were to cut him outright, they'd still have to pay his $12m cap number PLUS an additional $4m on top of that... so, basically, the Chiefs would have to pay $16m for him NOT to play for the team. The Chiefs have holes to fill and no 2nd round pick with which to help. The Chiefs will be picking 24th in the draft and NEED more picks. Cleveland will get the Colts' 1st rd pick for their trade of Richardson. Cleveland will probably take a QB with their first pick and will want a good #2 WR to help out their rookie QB. Cleveland has plenty of cap space and the need for a guy like Bowe who's skill set does not fit with Andy Reid's offensive system. Not only does this move net the Chiefs a late 1st/early 2nd round pick, but it clears $16m for the Chiefs to do something with. Dwayne Bowe produced at a below average level but was paid like a top 20 WR. I don't think it is unreasonable for a franchise who pays a guy like an elite WR to expect that player to perform at an elite level. Bowe's 2013 production can be replaced by an average FA who can be signed for a fraction of the price. Sloppy routes, not fighting for the ball, not coming back to the ball, poor production, and just simply not caring about his craft now that he's been paid are all reasons why I would deem Bowe expendable.

The other move I would at least explore is a trade of Tamba Hali. While it's not a trade that necessarily HAS to be made, getting the large bounty he would bring back PLUS the $11.4m in cap space he would free up would allow the Chiefs even more flexibility to fill the holes. Think of what a Jared Allen bounty would bring to this Chiefs team who has made a dramatic turnaround this season. Hali's production would be difficult to replace and I'm not trying to imply he means as little as Bowe does, but with Houston already on one side, and Poe becoming an elite NT, finding a younger, cheaper option and reapplying those resources to other areas of need may not be the worst move and would definitely be worth exploring just to see what the market bears. The last time we traded an elite pass rusher, we ended up with Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles... just sayin. If the Chiefs can get a 1st and 3rd for Hali, I think I'd pull that trigger.

These 3 moves combined would net the Chiefs $31m in cap space and 3 draft picks in the first 3 rounds to go along with the 2 they already have. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and that kind of cap space would more than replace the lost production and would help the Chiefs shore up other positions of need in the secondary and WR corpse.

It may seem counterproductive to some to remove a guy like Bowe from a group that you're trying to improve. But when you're trying to to feed a starving person on a limited budget, you don't reach for the caviar first. You apply those funds in a smarter, more productive way... because folks, our defensive secondary and WR group IS starving. Whatever holes you aren't able to fill through free agency, you just start filling them in the draft.

Oh, and I wouldn't re-sign Branden Albert. You just spent the #1 pick in the draft on an OT. Putting him on the right side has been horrible for his production. Get him back on the left side, make Stephenson your RT and let this group of young offensive linemen develop together as a unit and lock them up in long-term deals. There is absolutely no reason to have almost $40m locked up in Bowe, Hali, Albert, and Robinson. If this cluster isn't fixed, the Chiefs will need some other kind of miracle to see any kind of improvement between this year and next.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    lol who's this guy?
    So you have all the answers... Who are you? Trade Bowe after he finally has other receivers and a QB step up and he shows he can make plays if he's not the only one they are paying attention? He just missed a great catch on the last play, let alone his blocking ability. Give him another #1 type receiver and he will continue to prosper. Let alone the fact that he blocks well down field. Tamba has at least 2-3 years left if he gets healthy in the offseason. He was playing the last 6 games on 1 1/2 legs. I do agree on Dunta, but who doesn't. If you thing replacing Bowe, without any additional help WR, and Hali on the cheap and expect similar or better results, it's not going to happen. We are close now, with the team we have. Draft a WR with the first pick, fill the holes in the secondary through FA or the draft as best you can and resign McCluster. It's going to boil down to Fisher being able to take over for Albert, this will be the key to the puzzle. I am glad you are not the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaChief View Post
    So you have all the answers... Who are you? Trade Bowe after he finally has other receivers and a QB step up and he shows he can make plays if he's not the only one they are paying attention? He just missed a great catch on the last play, let alone his blocking ability. Give him another #1 type receiver and he will continue to prosper. Let alone the fact that he blocks well down field. Tamba has at least 2-3 years left if he gets healthy in the offseason. He was playing the last 6 games on 1 1/2 legs. I do agree on Dunta, but who doesn't. If you thing replacing Bowe, without any additional help WR, and Hali on the cheap and expect similar or better results, it's not going to happen. We are close now, with the team we have. Draft a WR with the first pick, fill the holes in the secondary through FA or the draft as best you can and resign McCluster. It's going to boil down to Fisher being able to take over for Albert, this will be the key to the puzzle. I am glad you are not the GM.
    And the money for all these poorly thought out moves comes from where? lol. That's the whole point. I think it's hilarious that people like you who think Bowe is worth his contract and worth keeping around say he NEEDS another #1 type WR on the other side for him to be productive. Nobody else making his kind of money at that position have another #1 WR to pair with. Bowe has the FIFTH LARGEST CONTRACT AT HIS POSITION! If you're getting paid like the 5th best player at your position, you need to produce regardless of who else is on the field. PERIOD.

If you think Bowe is worth keeping (if we get ANOTHER #1 WR to help him), you're too dumb to talk to. Bowe had less help in this last game against the Colts than he had at any other point in the season with the loss of Charles, Davis, and Avery and yet the guy had his best game of the season. Don't tell me the reason he isn't producing is because he doesn't have any help because this last game proves you absolutely and positively wrong. If Bowe had performed all season like he did against the Colts in this playoff game, he'd at least be worth the discussion. But he didn't. Therefor, the Chiefs need to do anything they possibly can to get out from under this albatross of a contract that will hinder the team in their quest to improve other areas of need. Nowhere in my original post did I say the Chiefs shouldn't address the WR position. What I said was that there are better ways to spend money at that position than putting all your WR funds in ONE WR... because when you do that, you get NOTHING ELSE at that position... much like we see with the rest of that group.

I'd MUCH rather split his contract in half and get a couple guys worth 8m/yr (or any other combo) than have Bowe at 16m/yr and nobody else in that group who can contribute. He's paid way too much to produce at the level he did this year... and NOW you want to pump MORE resources into the position just so the guy who gets paid the most on this team has an easier job.

Try thinking things out a little better, noob.

How do you figure? Albert is already gone and doesn't factor into any equation. Stephenson played just as well as Albert at LT and Fisher with an off-season program will be ready to take over LT if that's where they want him.

As for taking a WR in round 1, it won't happen if there is a quality pass-rushing DE like Stephon Tuitt still on the board. The Chiefs don't have any 3-4 DE's that can attack the QB and Tuitt at 6-6 and 312 lbs. would be too good to pass up.

I propose a trade of Dwayne Bowe to Cleveland for either their 2nd 1st round pick or their 2nd round pick. Dwayne Bowe has a $16.25m "dead money" number. This means that if the Chiefs were to cut him outright, they'd still have to pay his $12m cap number PLUS an additional $4m on top of that... so, basically, the Chiefs would have to pay $16m for him NOT to play for the team. The Chiefs have holes to fill and no 2nd round pick with which to help. The Chiefs will be picking 24th in the draft and NEED more picks. Cleveland will get the Colts' 1st rd pick for their trade of Richardson. Cleveland will probably take a QB with their first pick and will want a good #2 WR to help out their rookie QB. Cleveland has plenty of cap space and the need for a guy like Bowe who's skill set does not fit with Andy Reid's offensive system. Not only does this move net the Chiefs a late 1st/early 2nd round pick, but it clears $16m for the Chiefs to do something with. Dwayne Bowe produced at a below average level but was paid like a top 20 WR. I don't think it is unreasonable for a franchise who pays a guy like an elite WR to expect that player to perform at an elite level. Bowe's 2013 production can be replaced by an average FA who can be signed for a fraction of the price. Sloppy routes, not fighting for the ball, not coming back to the ball, poor production, and just simply not caring about his craft now that he's been paid are all reasons why I would deem Bowe expendable.
    If this is the case, then why would any team trade anything for Bowe, let alone a 1st or a 2nd? This is completely unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    How do you figure? Albert is already gone and doesn't factor into any equation. Stephenson played just as well as Albert at LT and Fisher with an off-season program will be ready to take over LT if that's where they want him.

As for taking a WR in round 1, it won't happen if there is a quality pass-rushing DE like Stephon Tuitt still on the board. The Chiefs don't have any 3-4 DE's that can attack the QB and Tuitt at 6-6 and 312 lbs. would be too good to pass up.
    You wouldn't be worried about a pass rushing DE getting gashed by the run game? You're already getting pressure up the middle from Poe and on the ends from Hali and Houston. If 4/5 of that line is trying to rush the passer, it's going to make that D-line susceptible to draws and screens on a pretty regular basis, don't you think? I think Jackson and DeVito did everything we need from 3-4 DEs this last season. Jackson can be re-signed on the cheap, I think and DeVito is still under contract. With such strict restraints under the cap, if Jackson could be had for cheap, I think that's a better move than wasting precious resources like a 1st round pick at a position that isn't in need nearly as badly as some other places like the defensive secondary or... well... the defensive secondary. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If this is the case, then why would any team trade anything for Bowe, let alone a 1st or a 2nd? This is completely unrealistic.
    Good point. You're probably right. Unless the Chiefs kick in some money to go along with Bowe, I doubt the Chiefs would see much value in return. Getting out from under that contract would be reward enough for the Chiefs who have their faces smashed up against the salary cap with a bunch of holes to fill and very little resources with which to do it.

And the money for all these poorly thought out moves comes from where? lol. That's the whole point. I think it's hilarious that people like you who think Bowe is worth his contract and worth keeping around say he NEEDS another #1 type WR on the other side for him to be productive. Nobody else making his kind of money at that position have another #1 WR to pair with. Bowe has the FIFTH LARGEST CONTRACT AT HIS POSITION! If you're getting paid like the 5th best player at your position, you need to produce regardless of who else is on the field. PERIOD.

If you think Bowe is worth keeping (if we get ANOTHER #1 WR to help him), you're too dumb to talk to. Bowe had less help in this last game against the Colts than he had at any other point in the season with the loss of Charles, Davis, and Avery and yet the guy had his best game of the season. Don't tell me the reason he isn't producing is because he doesn't have any help because this last game proves you absolutely and positively wrong. If Bowe had performed all season like he did against the Colts in this playoff game, he'd at least be worth the discussion. But he didn't. Therefor, the Chiefs need to do anything they possibly can to get out from under this albatross of a contract that will hinder the team in their quest to improve other areas of need. Nowhere in my original post did I say the Chiefs shouldn't address the WR position. What I said was that there are better ways to spend money at that position than putting all your WR funds in ONE WR... because when you do that, you get NOTHING ELSE at that position... much like we see with the rest of that group.

I'd MUCH rather split his contract in half and get a couple guys worth 8m/yr (or any other combo) than have Bowe at 16m/yr and nobody else in that group who can contribute. He's paid way too much to produce at the level he did this year... and NOW you want to pump MORE resources into the position just so the guy who gets paid the most on this team has an easier job.

Try thinking things out a little better, noob.

So cut Bowe(you can't trade him with that salary), get a hit to the cap, and then sign 2 other WR for $8 million a year. Who's acting like a noob. And yes, we need to put more resources into the position so he has a better opportunity.

I think we both agree. I am saying Albert won't be resigned and shouldn't be. However, we need Fisher to step up, and if he does great, if not we will have issues. That is the key to the puzzle.

I also agree with the draft statement. If there is a can't miss at WR or if someone has fallen to 24 that can make an immediate impact and is the best on the board, take em.

You wouldn't be worried about a pass rushing DE getting gashed by the run game? You're already getting pressure up the middle from Poe and on the ends from Hali and Houston. If 4/5 of that line is trying to rush the passer, it's going to make that D-line susceptible to draws and screens on a pretty regular basis, don't you think? I think Jackson and DeVito did everything we need from 3-4 DEs this last season. Jackson can be re-signed on the cheap, I think and DeVito is still under contract. With such strict restraints under the cap, if Jackson could be had for cheap, I think that's a better move than wasting precious resources like a 1st round pick at a position that isn't in need nearly as badly as some other places like the defensive secondary or... well... the defensive secondary. lol
    You have have to remember who's making the selections now. It isn't Scott Pioli. Dorsey has already said he would build from front to back and Andy Reid does like O-Lineman and D-Lineman. Just look at their draft histories. They will always take pass-rushers over DB's in round 1.

The problem in the Indy game was they didn't stay with an attacking style Defense and went to prevent and it prevented them from winning and the Chiefs were not getting enough pressure from their D-Line.

A 3-4 DE that can stop the run and rush the passer is more valuable than any DB. Look at Tampa Bay with what they invested in their Defensive Secondary and yet they still got torched for 3800 yards passing and 30 TD's because they could not get enough pressure on opposing QB's.

Any team can draft DB's until they're blue in the face, but if they can't stop the run or rush the passer, it won't matter who's playing DB.

Besides, good DB's can be had in later rounds. Brandon Flowers was a 2nd round pick. Brandon Carr was a 5th round pick. Richard Sherman and Cam Chancellor up in Seattle were both 5th round picks. I can go on and on. Even the Chiefs have a promising looking 5th rounder in Sanders Commings, if he can stay healthy, that will probably displace Lewis next year.

I think we both agree. I am saying Albert won't be resigned and shouldn't be. However, we need Fisher to step up, and if he does great, if not we will have issues. That is the key to the puzzle.

I also agree with the draft statement. If there is a can't miss at WR or if someone has fallen to 24 that can make an immediate impact and is the best on the board, take em.
    I believe Fisher will rise to the challenge. He's a hard worker and it isn't as though he's never played LT before and there is still Stephenson to fall back on as far the LT position, so I don't believe it will be an issue.

As for WR, the best thing that can happen is for Jenkins and Hemingway to step it up this next year. Hemingway is the big physical receiver, while Jenkins does possess 4.39 speed. Both showed some progress this year, but need to take it to the next level in 2014.

The reason that I want another pass-rusher is because of the series of QB's that the Chiefs are going to be facing in 2014. I do agree that Robinson and Lewis need to be replaced, but not necessarily with the top draft pick.

You have have to remember who's making the selections now. It isn't Scott Pioli. Dorsey has already said he would build from front to back and Andy Reid does like O-Lineman and D-Lineman. Just look at their draft histories. They will always take pass-rushers over DB's in round 1.

The problem in the Indy game was they didn't stay with an attacking style Defense and went to prevent and it prevented them from winning and the Chiefs were not getting enough pressure from their D-Line.

A 3-4 DE that can stop the run and rush the passer is more valuable than any DB. Look at Tampa Bay with what they invested in their Defensive Secondary and yet they still got torched for 3800 yards passing and 30 TD's because they could not get enough pressure on opposing QB's.

Any team can draft DB's until they're blue in the face, but if they can't stop the run or rush the passer, it won't matter who's playing DB.

Besides, good DB's can be had in later rounds. Brandon Flowers was a 2nd round pick. Brandon Carr was a 5th round pick. Richard Sherman and Cam Chancellor up in Seattle were both 5th round picks. I can go on and on. Even the Chiefs have a promising looking 5th rounder in Sanders Commings, if he can stay healthy, that will probably displace Lewis next year.

I believe Fisher will rise to the challenge. He's a hard worker and it isn't as though he's never played LT before and there is still Stephenson to fall back on as far the LT position, so I don't believe it will be an issue.

As for WR, the best thing that can happen is for Jenkins and Hemingway to step it up this next year. Hemingway is the big physical receiver, while Jenkins does possess 4.39 speed. Both showed some progress this year, but need to take it to the next level in 2014.

The reason that I want another pass-rusher is because of the series of QB's that the Chiefs are going to be facing in 2014. I do agree that Robinson and Lewis need to be replaced, but not necessarily with the top draft pick.

I believe he will also. I also have hopes that Kelce will add another layer to the O if he can stay healthy.

I agree with Hemmingway and Jenkins. I know some folks are giving this draft a bad rap, but I think time will show it was a pretty good job by Dorsey.

I am also completely confident he will do the same in 2014 draft. That being said, injuries can pop up with any drafted player that makes it look suspect.

Go Chiefs! Good first year under this regime. If we would have stayed healthy we would have won Saturday and be headed to NE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast