Thread: Hank Stram WERE ARE YOU?!!!!... :(

Default Hank Stram WERE ARE YOU?!!!!... :(

As a young'ne I became a lifetime Chiefs fan when they won their only Super Bowl under Hank Stram. Before their legendary players became victims of father time they played another 2 or 3 years of great football under Hank Stram. Football man Hank was then let go by businessman Jack Steadman who was the Chiefs GM. Allowing that firing was, to the day he passed, Lamar Hunt's biggest mistake, IMO, concerning the Chiefs.

Why am I bringing this up? Because since then we have had a caravan of average to poor head coaches, but only 3 quality head coaches, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil, and Andy Reid. Maybe Marv Levy could be considered closer to that group than have the rest of the sorry group of HCs. But Marv's success came mostly with the Bills. With us he was very average.

Now back to the three named, and why I long for the next Hank Stram. Hank was the last coach the Chiefs ever had that was equally interested in both offense and defense. He fielded well balanced teams equally good on both sides of the ball.

By contrast Marty had great defenses that were severely anchored down by his conservative philosophy on offense. Vermeil had awesome offenses but total dislike of the D. Why else would he saddle it with a coordinator like Greg Robinson? And we the long suffering Chiefs fans paid with heartache.

Yesterday was that heartache all over again. Andy Reid, admittedly an offensive minded HC seems to have saddled us with GRob.2.0. In some ways it's worse than having a perennially bad team. At least then we know what to do. We'd know not to be a dedicated fan because they would not be worth a heart attack.

Andy, man, I love you, but do something about this. It's OK to replace your DC. Dammit, the Dolphins just fired their OC even though their hot shot young QB played for him in college! There are Wade Phillips and a few other defensive borderline geniuses out there ready to be plucked. PLUCK ONE! Be the next Hank Stram for these Chiefs. The legacy and the respect you will leave when you retire is there for you if you just do the right thing.

PLEASE... Andy!!!

...Not sure Andy reads our mail, so to speak, but I read what you're saying. It's all about putting the best quality eleven guys possible on the field at a given time.

If we write it, he will read.

True, if he is involved, at all, in social media.

Of course the points you bring up Frankenchief, are the questions floating around in the head of any real Chiefs fan. Our Defense looked so good and after the bye week they looked so pedestrian.

So the real question becomes very simple.....WHY? Why did we go from thinking we were going to go to the playoffs based almost solely on our defense and then morph into a run and gun version of the denver mannings? WHY?

I admit freely that I am no genius when it comes to football. but the question above truly irks me and I have been trying to figure out an answer. Is Sutton really the problem? I dunno.

But I am going to give my thoughts.......

It seems to me, and this is only a "feeling", that our defensive problems started when our pass rushers started to go down with injuries. With a strong pass rush our mediocre pass defenders could afford to play a little "loosey-goosie" and capitalize on mistakes made by pressured quarterbacks. Once we lost our pass rush then our mediocre pass defenders were exposed for what they were--mediocre. Remember......even when our Defense was a big part of why we were winning, we were still giving up a lot of yards. We just weren't giving up a lot of points. The Defense saved us in a lot of games NOT by giving up no yards, but by getting INTs at critical moments. And those INTs were primarily caused by the pass rush.

Not saying I'm right....just seems logical to me.

Of course, it is also possible that in the first 9 games our defense was just playing piranha with a bunch of second rate teams and quarterbacks.

And of course, it could be that Sutton just isn't good enough.

I just don't know.

Andy Reid has a reputation for being FIERCELY LOYAL. I understand that. I tend to be the same way. So I think it is unlikely we see a new DC next year and I think that is as it should be. I'm just not ready to toss Sutton yet.

One thing is for certain (to me anyway) and that is that we need to work on our Defense in the draft and free agency and while I understand Reid's loyalty to Sutton, he (Reid) needs to tell Sutton that the Defense MUST be a lot better next year. In short, Sutton needs to be "put on notice". But I don't think he is going anywhere this year.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 01-07-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    As a young'ne I became a lifetime Chiefs fan when they won their only Super Bowl under Hank Stram. Before their legendary players became victims of father time they played another 2 or 3 years of great football under Hank Stram. Football man Hank was then let go by businessman Jack Steadman who was the Chiefs GM. Allowing that firing was, to the day he passed, Lamar Hunt's biggest mistake, IMO, concerning the Chiefs.

Why am I bringing this up? Because since then we have had a caravan of average to poor head coaches, but only 3 quality head coaches, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil, and Andy Reid. Maybe Marv Levy could be considered closer to that group than have the rest of the sorry group of HCs. But Marv's success came mostly with the Bills. With us he was very average.

Now back to the three named, and why I long for the next Hank Stram. Hank was the last coach the Chiefs ever had that was equally interested in both offense and defense. He fielded well balanced teams equally good on both sides of the ball.

By contrast Marty had great defenses that were severely anchored down by his conservative philosophy on offense. Vermeil had awesome offenses but total dislike of the D. Why else would he saddle it with a coordinator like Greg Robinson? And we the long suffering Chiefs fans paid with heartache.

Yesterday was that heartache all over again. Andy Reid, admittedly an offensive minded HC seems to have saddled us with GRob.2.0. In some ways it's worse than having a perennially bad team. At least then we know what to do. We'd know not to be a dedicated fan because they would not be worth a heart attack.

Andy, man, I love you, but do something about this. It's OK to replace your DC. Dammit, the Dolphins just fired their OC even though their hot shot young QB played for him in college! There are Wade Phillips and a few other defensive borderline geniuses out there ready to be plucked. PLUCK ONE! Be the next Hank Stram for these Chiefs. The legacy and the respect you will leave when you retire is there for you if you just do the right thing.

PLEASE... Andy!!!
    Well, first off...There were a lot of things that eroded away at the Hank Stram era Chiefs. The first being the whole Schaaf/Steadman debacle running the show. The second was the whole crud that went down when the team switched from old Municipal Stadium to Arrowhead (according to the book "Hail to the Chiefs" by Bob Gretz, some 20k season ticket holders got cut off when the team moved, leaving a lot of people VERY ticked off.) The draft choices made towards at the end of the Hank Stram era didn't exactly pan out, either (for ex. John Matusak). Another thing, which is better understood now, they switched from a grass field (Municial) to Arrowhead's astroturf (Not exactly helpful when you're fielding an aging team). Arrowhead stadium was originally designed to have a rolling roof overhead, hence the astroturf instead of regular turf. The roof idea was canned due to complexity/funding.) Can you imagine all the injuries that might have been avoided had they stuck to regular turf? Throw all these things into a blender and you get KC turning into a baseball town in the late seventies/early eighties.

There are very few coaches that don't try hard to change their stripes. When Marty was here, he brought onboard Paul Hackett to overhaul the offense and change peoples' perception that he was just a "running game" only guy. When Vermeil brought onboard Greg Robinson, don't recall anybody complaining because of the defenses that went home with SB rings with Denver. When that went over like a lead balloon (Welcome to KC Mr. Robinson...where the refs don't always love you.) Vermeil tried to bring back another KC favorite, Gunther Cunningham. Gunther tried but by that point everyone had caught on to his style of D. King Carl didn't exactly help him out in the talent department, either (again.) So it's like as hard as these coaches tried to change their stripes, it's like they went right back to being who they were.

With this in mind...I don't see Andy Reid changing too much. He stated that he preferred the 4-3 when he got here, but opted to run the 3-4 because we were already built for it. Last Saturday's defensive meltdown might be all the ammunition he needs to switch back. If this years' draft has a lot of DE's that can be drafted in later rounds, and since our linebacker corps is well stacked to the point where we can trade someone off, 4-3 here we come.

Football heaven.
    Crush The raiders!

Indeed people like Stram are in football heaven! But the team would have loved someone like him!
    ​Happy Halloween 2021