Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith's Contract

Default Alex Smith's Contract

Looking ahead,I hope it is on Dorsey's agenda to extend A.Smith's contract this offseason. He has a year left, but I want to lock him up now, before he hits the market. If he has a whole year like the last half if this year, then he is going to command a contract like Flacco got. Right now, I think we can get him for a lot cheaper, and he probably would be happy at this point with a long term deal knowing he is the undisputed #1 QB.

As close as our salary cap is now, I cannot imagine how tight things would get for us with a huge QB contract. There are a lot of teams that are going to be struggling to sign FAs with the huge contracts they have to give to reliable QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Admittedly, Alex Smith was not my first choice to become the Chiefs new QB after the 2012 season ended. I wanted Kirk Cousins. But, Alex hung in there and stayed on the field for all the Chiefs games, except for sitting out the season final and had his best year ever.

And yet there are some that call themselves Chiefs fans out there that still have this obsession with drafting a QB in round 1. It's laughable
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I was not upset when we got Alex. I did feel that 2 2nd round picks was to much for him but I could live with it. I was very vocal about saying he's not Matt Cassel 2.0 when that BS was going around. But I will say I wasn't 100% sure about him.

Now after the season I'm VERY happy with Alex. He turned out better then what I hoped. There were some struggles early in the year. But I really expected there to be. New team new offense of course there are going to be growing pains. However at the bye I still can't say that I was 100% sold on him. Then the games after the bye came and I saw Alex CLEARLY step up his game. When the schedule got tough Alex SHOWED up. I am now sold on him. This is not a repeat of 2010 Cassel. Alex step up against the tougher teams. And Alex was OUTSTANDING the the playoff game. He put on a show. I'm very happy to have Alex Smith as this teams Qb. They need to lock him up for the rest of his career.
    Agreed. The thing about having Alex Smith here & now, is that finally the guy has a shot at getting a stable OC & a head coach that's got a good background of developing QB's and making them better. Until Harbaugh came along he never had that in SF. As good as he was this year, imagine another year of experience under Reid. Also imagine what Alex's numbers (let alone our win record) would have looked like if our recievers had cut their drops in half, and if we hadn't had a merry-go-round of TE's.

The idea of signing Alex Smith to a longer contract isn't a bad one, for the Chiefs or for Alex. My question is this, how do we go about doing it in a way the team can afford it? How hurt would we be if we waited, and spent the money now on problem areas on the team (WR, pass rushers, secondary help)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Agreed. The thing about having Alex Smith here & now, is that finally the guy has a shot at getting a stable OC & a head coach that's got a good background of developing QB's and making them better. Until Harbaugh came along he never had that in SF. As good as he was this year, imagine another year of experience under Reid. Also imagine what Alex's numbers (let alone our win record) would have looked like if our recievers had cut their drops in half, and if we hadn't had a merry-go-round of TE's.

The idea of signing Alex Smith to a longer contract isn't a bad one, for the Chiefs or for Alex. My question is this, how do we go about doing it in a way the team can afford it? How hurt would we be if we waited, and spent the money now on problem areas on the team (WR, pass rushers, secondary help)?
    My thoughts exactly. Alex had his best year ever in spite of a lot of things, including all those dropped passes. And he had a far better first season in KC than what Trent Green did in 2001. Another major difference is the Chiefs have a youngster that they are grooming behind Alex, which is something they didn't have behind Trent Green. Hopefully, they can get something worked out with Alex that beneficial for both sides.

Off topic: As for the draft people need to pay strict attention to what John Dorsey said in an article posted today at kcchiefs.com:

"Foundations can be described in different ways by different people; I believe the foundation of a football team is on the offensive and defensive line."

Hear that? Don't expect him to draft a DB in round 1 if there is a quality 3-4 DE ( like Tuitt ) or pass-rusher available. He's aware of the need for DB's but he's not likely to reach for one in round 1. Dorsey and Reid have never drafted that way.

How is it that we aren't stacked on either side of the ball, yet were almost topped out on cap space? With teams like Seattle being pretty solid on defense, and Donks stacked in offense how is our team with so many holes so close to out of cap room? Did we give contracts that aren't panning out?
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissingTBone View Post
    How is it that we aren't stacked on either side of the ball, yet were almost topped out on cap space? With teams like Seattle being pretty solid on defense, and Donks stacked in offense how is our team with so many holes so close to out of cap room? Did we give contracts that aren't panning out?
    Maybe we gave big conracts to players who are not playing up to that level of the contract (Bowe and probably others) Also Seattle is only paying Wilson a really cheap amount.

Don't know how the chiefs lock Smith up and then fix other issues.

As for denver, everyone WR they have is on a cheap salary (besides Welker), i think, and i think the only person making a high amount on D is Champ

MAYBE, and i know its going to be hard to swallow this, but just maybe those teams have better players in certain positions than the chiefs do.
    Last edited by doobs_05; 01-14-2014 at 12:51 PM.

We are not in that bad of cap space we are just around the middle of the pack and are not sitting on 30 million or whatever it was that we once were. Albert coming off the books most likely will even improve it. The Chiefs are not in tight cap trouble. They just don't have as much room as they did a couple of years ago
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I was not upset when we got Alex. I did feel that 2 2nd round picks was to much for him but I could live with it. I was very vocal about saying he's not Matt Cassel 2.0 when that BS was going around. But I will say I wasn't 100% sure about him.
    I very much shared the same feelings. I am glad he developed here in the manner it played out. I know the missed pass was heart-breaking but he and Bowe nearly just nearly connected on that. Nobody even mentioned the Chiefs / Colts game was a battle of 1st overall selected QB's.

The Packers got Aaron Rodgers who was also a possible first overall that year and he slipt all the way to the Pack. I'm hoping there is a football connection in there at some point. A Kansas City Superbowl victory over the Packers would be something else.

That's how my confusing riddle of a football mind works, but you know, those connections are real. That Luck bounce, how does that happen football gods, how?!

Now after the season I'm VERY happy with Alex. He turned out better then what I hoped. There were some struggles early in the year. But I really expected there to be. New team new offense of course there are going to be growing pains. However at the bye I still can't say that I was 100% sold on him. Then the games after the bye came and I saw Alex CLEARLY step up his game. When the schedule got tough Alex SHOWED up. I am now sold on him. This is not a repeat of 2010 Cassel. Alex step up against the tougher teams. And Alex was OUTSTANDING the the playoff game. He put on a show. I'm very happy to have Alex Smith as this teams Qb. They need to lock him up for the rest of his career.
    Matthew: I couldn't have written it any better. One of the best posts on this forum this year!
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

I was thrilled when we signed Alex!! I could see great potential in him his seasons with SF! I remember in 2011 I think it was, maybe 2012...many Chiefs fans were on Alex's bandwagon, saying they'd give any thing to have a QB like Smith instead of Cassel. Well...we not only got a QB like Smith...we have the real deal!!!! ;)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I was thrilled when we signed Alex!! I could see great potential in him his seasons with SF! I remember in 2011 I think it was, maybe 2012...many Chiefs fans were on Alex's bandwagon, saying they'd give any thing to have a QB like Smith instead of Cassel. Well...we not only got a QB like Smith...we have the real deal!!!! ;)

Lot of people thought we had the real deal after 2010 with cassel, just saying

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    Lot of people thought we had the real deal after 2010 with cassel, just saying
    That is true but there's a HUGE difference in now and 2010

Cassle in the playoff game failed BADLY.

Smith even losing Charles stepped up his game and put up 44 points.

That's a HUGE difference
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast