Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intriguing trade idea

Default Intriguing trade idea

So one of the weaknesses we have all known about is our secondary. Many here complained about B. flowers having a down year and wondered if his skills have slipped, or if he is not cut out to play man (he has been known as a zone player and was drafted for his cover 2 zone abilities by Herm). Some even considered trading him since he spent most of his time as a nickel corner and is a 10 mil cap hit.

Supposedly Tampa Bay is interested in trading Darrelle Revis, because he is a man-man corner who will be playing in a cover 2 next year. He has a cap hit of 16 mil.

What if we were to trade straight up Revis for Flowers? Revis would give us that man lockdown corner we want for the secondary. He would cost more than Flowers, but we could probably fit another 6 mil into our cap, or renegotiate and give him more guaranteed money (his current contract has nothing guaranteed) to lower his cap hit for this year.

I think Tampa may be up for something like this because it gives them a player with the right set of skills for the defense they are building, AND gives them some more room in the cap to help rebuild their team.

I think I would be ok with this idea. It would give us Revis, Smith and Cooper. If Cooper develops more, he could supplant Smith maybe. My only concern would be with the salary cap implications. Also, Rvis may be a little short for what Dorsey/Sutton want out of their CBs, but he has shown he can play with the big boys.

Thoughts?

Trading Flowers, for the Chiefs, is a net cap gain of 3.5 M. Obviously there are no problems with KC trading him. If you can trade him straight up for Revis, I think you do it... contingent upon Revis re-signing to a longer deal that makes sense for KC. Revis would transfer over his salary portion of 13 M, so that has to come down substantially. Ideally, you don't want to lose anything in year one of the trade if possible, but trying to get Revis to sign for the first year in the neighborhood for 3.5 M is tough. Realistically, I think you can look in the neighborhood of what Carlos Rogers got in 2012 plus a bit to be able to do it.

I'm thinking 4 years, 34 million, with 16 million total guaranteed, including a 7 million dollar signing bonus and the first two years salary fully guaranteed. This averages $8.5 M/year (better than L. Webb got from Baltimore in 2013). That gives you an approximate breakout like this:

Year 1: Cap = 4.75 M, Signing Bonus = 1.75 M, Guaranteed Salary = 3.00 M, Total Guaranteed = 4.75 M
    Year 2: Cap = 7.75 M, Signing Bonus = 1.75 M, Guaranteed Salary = 6.00 M, Total Guaranteed = 7.75 M
    Year 3: Cap = 9.75 M, Signing Bonus = 1.75 M, Guaranteed Salary = 0.00 M, Total Guaranteed = 1.75 M
    Year 4: Cap = 11.75 M, Signing Bonus = 1.75 M, Guaranteed Salary = 0.000 M, Total Guaranteed = 1.75 M

Not sure if it would work, but I sure could live with getting Revis for Flowers and only spending 1.25 M more against the cap. The Bucs would save nearly 8 M.

I'd rather trade Bowe for Revis and leave Flowers in the slot.

Revis will want to be the highest paid cb on tue market. So he will prolly get around 10 mil a year. At the least. He stilll is the best cb in the league with Sherman.

I understand the Idea but I don't really think it would help that much. Revis hasn't been as good as he was in the past. And it would take our strongest CB and replace him with maybe a slightly better cb. We would still have all the other wholes on defense that we have. But I'm not high on Revis at all.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I follow the logic but I can't say as I like it. We know Flowers can play in our system. We don't KNOW that Revis would play any better. I can't see that trade.

I don't have a problem with flowers. I have more problems with Dunta Robinson who was brought in to be a NB and failed so bad that we were forced to put in Cooper at Corner and Move Flowers to NB. They Tried cooper at NB and that failed so they had to leave Flowers there. I say, find a viable NB or two, cut Smith and move Flowers back to his rightful spot.

Over the years, I have really never seen Flowers Struggle as a cover corner. I really think it is because he was playing in a spot he was not used to.

No way I'd trade flowers.. heck get Carr back

How do we not know Revis would flourish in this system considering he was considered the league's best shut-down cover man playing in it with the Jets under Sutton as DC?

We don't know Revis wouldn't flourish. We DO KNOW he might not. In the condition we are we are not in any position to give up cap space for what amounts to a "maybe".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast