Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webnews: Dorsey declines to address whether Fisher is ready to mo

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

Post Webnews: Dorsey declines to address whether Fisher is ready to mo

0 Not allowed!
    By Mike Florio
    Our 19 coach and G.M. interviews at the Scouting Combine included a visit with the man who helped turn around a 14-loss team in 2013. Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey talked about the franchise’s impressive rebound, which resulted in an unexpected playoff appearance. The effort to improve the roster included using the first overall pick…
    Read more…

Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 307

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I guess he earned his Roster spot last year and he should compete for LT given his draft status, but if it was not for where we drafted him and his possible potention. Would you all really think he earned the right to move to LT.

I am not trying to run him out of town, I just fail to see why people think he is better suited at LT over Rt given the facts presented to us from his play. When Donald Stephenson factually proved he is the best option as of right now. That is why Reid is not addressing the issue of moving Fisher to RT, regardless of the situation with Albert.
    I don't think many have said Fisher has earned the LT slot. Most of what I have seen here is that he improved enough in the second half of the season to compete for the job in camp. We all pretty much expect that BA won't be back so it would appear we are left with Stephenson and Fisher to fill the left and right tackle slots. Fischer was drafted as a LT and that is what he played throughout his college career. He didn't do as well as anyone would have hoped from #1 overall pick but being reasonable, some rookies develop faster than others and he was playing "out of position". I think he showed enough improvement in the second half of the season that he should go into camp and be given an opportunity to show what he has in a head to head competition with Stephenson for the LT slot. If Stephenson wins then Fisher stays at RT. If Fisher wins then Stephenson goes to RT.

Personally, I wish we could keep BA but the salary cap does not allow that so we have to make the best of what we have which is Stephenson and Fisher and I don't think that either has shown themself to be so clearly superior to the other that they deserve to get handed the job without a competition.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I don't think many have said Fisher has earned the LT slot. Most of what I have seen here is that he improved enough in the second half of the season to compete for the job in camp.
    I actually think, for the fact that we drafted Fisher as a LT at the top of the draft, he should be designated the starting LT in the preseason. Let someone else beat him out if he proves not good enough.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    I actually think, for the fact that we drafted Fisher as a LT at the top of the draft, he should be designated the starting LT in the preseason. Let someone else beat him out if he proves not good enough.
    I don't feel particularly strongly about that one way or the other. But if it were me (and it isn't thank God!) I would tell them both at the start of training camp that LT was wide open and whoever showed himself the best would get the job and the other would be RT. When preseason rolled around I'd designate one of them as the starter but I would tell 'em that the final decision was still pending and I'd give them both plenty of reps with the starters in the games. Then I would make my decision at the end of the preseason. I think we have 2 guys in Stephenson and Fisher that can both be top tier players at either LT or RT. I don't think either should consider himself "heir apparent" to the job.

In the end though, I trust Andy Reid to make the right decision. His last year or two at the Iggles he stunk the joint up. But he was "playing out of position" with all the additional responsibilities they put on him. He's a coach and a VERY good one. And I think he'll make the right decision for LT.

Between Reid and Dorsey we have an EXCELLENT management team. Are they good enough to get us to the Super Bowl? Dunno. But I am confident that between them they will at the very least get us out of the "one and done" category. For now that is enough for me.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 3

1 Not allowed!
    So, based on Draft Status alone, and not his body of work gets the LT position handed to him. When someone else actually worked his butt off with little draft status but stepped up every time he was needed and proved he deserves a shot at starting Lt.

In the end, it really does not matter. It will work itself out once camp starts.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    In the end, it really does not matter. It will work itself out once camp starts.
    I suspect Reid will work it out for the best. If we don't have confidence in our coach then we are just flat out screwed anyway.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    So, based on Draft Status alone, and not his body of work gets the LT position handed to him. When someone else actually worked his butt off with little draft status but stepped up every time he was needed and proved he deserves a shot at starting Lt.

Look, we drafted him to be our LT. First round draft choices are handed starting jobs and told to prove it or lose it. Lower draft picks don't get that luxury.

As for working his butt off who's to say Fisher didn't. He was a fish-out-of-water on the right side and made obvious improvement without complaining. I submit he did work his butt off too.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 3

1 Not allowed!
    Look, we drafted him to be our LT. First round draft choices are handed starting jobs and told to prove it or lose it. Lower draft picks don't get that luxury.

As for working his butt off who's to say Fisher didn't. He was a fish-out-of-water on the right side and made obvious improvement without complaining. I submit he did work his butt off too.
    If we drafted him to be our LT, they wasn't he handed it last year and cutting bait with Albert last year or just move Alber to Rt. Why wasn't he moved to LT when Albert got hurt.

I would like to think we drafted him because he was the best player on the board at the time with the highest ceiling. However, once drafted he is just another player on the team. He is not DUE anything over any other player OR Mr. Baldwin would still be here and Starting.

Again, MY point. You keep saying he is a fish out of Water on the right side, but was that really his probllem. I can tell you after watching him in training camp in one on one drills and I know that was early in the season. He was undersized and just beat physically over and over while other rookies held their own. Fishers problems at RT was that he was just physically beat. Fact of the matter, watching him with all the other offensive lineman he was given the starting spot at RT but he wasn't the best player for the spot. Now, I will say, he was quick to jump in front of people to get more work in so I won't say he didn't work hard all season. Fact of the Matter, UNTIL he proves he is better than Stephenson I say NAY. I could care less where he is was drafted.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    If we drafted him to be our LT, they wasn't he handed it last year and cutting bait with Albert last year or just move Alber to Rt. Why wasn't he moved to LT when Albert got hurt.
    Because Albert wouldn't budge. And somewhere down the line the decision was made to keep him as a known quantity. Especially with the new QB and all.

I think after the Albert scenario played out the way it did, they were already committed (for 2013) to Fisher at the right side. I don't agree with that but that was how Andy and Chung felt I suppose. If Albert's injury was season ending then I would think they would be more inclined to switch Fisher to the left. Letting play LT for a couple of games and then switching him back to RT would have been more confusing to the rookie.

I can tell you after watching him in training camp in one on one drills and I know that was early in the season. He was undersized and just beat physically over and over.
    I have no quarrel with that. You saw him in person and I didn't. But if you think his problem is physical and not technique then what's your worry? I'm sure they are working on him to be stronger and more physical this off-season. A lot of first year O-linemen leave and come back way stronger in the second year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123