Thread: Why aren't we restructuring contracts?

Default Why aren't we restructuring contracts?

As we all know on here we have too little cap space to make a run at some of the guys we have seen sign elsewhere. But we can get quite a bit more money by restructuring flowers, Hali and resigning smith berry Houston. What's the hold up with these things?

Also I think we're still sitting okay. There are still some good players available and I think if players like commings Kelce jenkins and cooper can progress we will be a lot better off than we all feel right now.

First, players have to agree to have their contracts restructured. They have to be willing to give up money now with the promise that they will get it later. Most players don't want to do that.

Second, Restructuring doesn't give a team more money. It just shifts the amount they owe down the road. Eventually it has to be paid and you are likely to get into a bind with future salary caps. Most teams that restructure believe they are on the cusp of winning a Super Bowl in the next year or two and just need one or two superstar players to get them over the top. Remember that the Chiefs were 2-14 just a year ago. We have too many holes to fill to play accounting games with salaries.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

TopekaRoy makes good points. And I would like to add a few. Mostly when a team has such a bad season that they get the #1 pick in the draft and then gets a new GM and coach then the team gets blown up and pretty much rebuilt from scratch. Reid and Dorsey didn't do that. Instead, they built depth as we saw in the second San Diego game last year. We are going to have a very tough schedule this year and I suspect the season will be rough. But we will have several compensatory picks in the 2015 draft and we should start the 2015 season with a young, tough and hungry team. With all that young talent we will have money to keep JC. In short, I think what is happening is that Reid/Dorsey are blowing the team up and starting from scratch but because of the salary cap and how many free agents we were going to have this year they spent last year building some depth, are now taking the losses that were inevitable because of the salary cap and are planning to have the youngest team in the NFL to start the 2015 season. But while doing this complete restructuring of the team they are still keeping us competitive. All this scares the crap out of me, but in the end it comes down to "In Reid and Dorsey I trust". I'm not so young anymore and my health isn't the best so I surely hope Clark Hunt got it right. The big dirt nap wouldn't be too bad if the Chiefs once again were the pride of the AFC.

I agree with u guys about building for the 2015 season. And I also do trust what Dorsey and Reid are doing because thy haven't done anything to make me believe I shouldn't. It just scares the hell out of me watching us sign three relatively no name guys while the broncos are signing Ward, Talib, and Ware. I only hope it destroys their cap in the future and while we are young and hungry in 2015 they are old and slow.