Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A young father looking for advice....

Default A young father looking for advice....

My son is 4 years old and early last spring Dexter McCluster came to our town for an autograph signing. He got a jersey, a picture, and t-shirt all signed. Needless to say he loves dexta mqkwasta. It's really cute the way he says it. His first chiefs game was the Cleveland game when dexter had a pretty nice TD and a decent game. I know the sentiment around here is dexter sucks but my son is going to be heart broken. What is the best approach?

i am a first generation American. I taught myself to play sports and my parents thought it stupid to be as die hard about sports as I am. So totally being serious. Thanks!

I'd tell him that because Dexter worked hard, he got a promotion. He is going to a team where he will have a chance to be a starter and the Chiefs didn't have room for him to play a lot.

The Chiefs aren't bad for letting him go. They gave him a chance to make more money somewhere else. And he is not bad for leaving. He will get paid more to do what he loves. It will just be with another team.

... or words to that effect.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I'd tell him that because Dexter worked hard, he got a promotion. He is going to a team where he will have a chance to be a starter and the Chiefs didn't have room for him to play a lot.

The Chiefs aren't bad for letting him go. They gave him a chance to make more money somewhere else. And he is not bad for leaving. He will get paid more to do what he loves. It will just be with another team.

... or words to that effect.

right....thought about letting it play out but he actually pays attention and recognizes names. Interesting, I will try being as honest as I can but man he is gonna be sad.

Agree with Topeka. I would also add tell him it doesnt mean you guys arent allowed to root for him or that he is an enemy now.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Agree with Topeka. I would also add tell him it doesnt mean you guys arent allowed to root for him or that he is an enemy now.
    I always liked dexter. He is a good role model for young children. Hope has tons of success. Thanks. I was struggling with the honest part or just sweeping it under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I always liked dexter. He is a good role model for young children. Hope has tons of success. Thanks. I was struggling with the honest part or just sweeping it under the rug.
    I dont have kids yet myself, but I see it as a way to teach him good sportsmanship when the Chiefs play the Titans.

I'm with the little guy I'm going to miss Mccluster he was underrated for us IMO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Tell him the truth. Some team liked Dexter as much as him so they gave him more money to go play for them. Then direct him to another player on the team as a guy he should watch. My son still loves Matt Cassel but he also like J. Charles and thanks to my sisters going to MU likes Chase Daniels.

Oh man nigeriannightmare........I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Tough....real tough. I can't give any better advice than has already been given. The salary cap and everything that goes with it are especially hard on young fans. It was easier when I was a kid and players generally stayed with a team through their career.

And I don't think you'll find any hate for DMC here. He was never "the greatest", but most of us liked him. After all we're Chiefs fans and we tend to like the underdog. I'm sorry to see him go and I really hate that money forced us to let him go elsewhere.
    Last edited by ctchiefsfan; 03-12-2014 at 11:15 AM.

I was a little older, but to be honest remember the day that the 49ers let Joe Montana go...hell it is most of the reason I can fit in around here as an 'outsider'. I would draw a parallel for your son between you and DMC. If you had a chance to do something better for your family you would. If that meant picking up and moving, you would. The reality is that while it is hard to change it is sometimes the right thing to do. Doesn't make the Chiefs or Dexter bad, it just means their paths in life have hit a fork in the road. If you got a better job offer and had to move, it wouldn't mean your current employer is bad, or that your neighborhood is...just that a better one presented itself.

End of the day, he now has a team to pull for (Chiefs) and a favorite player to wish well (Dexter) from afar.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast