Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A young father looking for advice....

Default A young father looking for advice....

My son is 4 years old and early last spring Dexter McCluster came to our town for an autograph signing. He got a jersey, a picture, and t-shirt all signed. Needless to say he loves dexta mqkwasta. It's really cute the way he says it. His first chiefs game was the Cleveland game when dexter had a pretty nice TD and a decent game. I know the sentiment around here is dexter sucks but my son is going to be heart broken. What is the best approach?

i am a first generation American. I taught myself to play sports and my parents thought it stupid to be as die hard about sports as I am. So totally being serious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    I was a little older, but to be honest remember the day that the 49ers let Joe Montana go...hell it is most of the reason I can fit in around here as an 'outsider'. I would draw a parallel for your son between you and DMC. If you had a chance to do something better for your family you would. If that meant picking up and moving, you would. The reality is that while it is hard to change it is sometimes the right thing to do. Doesn't make the Chiefs or Dexter bad, it just means their paths in life have hit a fork in the road. If you got a better job offer and had to move, it wouldn't mean your current employer is bad, or that your neighborhood is...just that a better one presented itself.

End of the day, he now has a team to pull for (Chiefs) and a favorite player to wish well (Dexter) from afar.
    Joe is the reason I became a Chiefs fan after the Traitors bounced out of LA.

Thanks y'all. just had the conversation, as he is wearing his dexta mckwasta signed tshirt, his little eyes teared up. Tough. But thanks for all the good advice.

Hold him close. He still has his real hero--you.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Hold him close. He still has his real hero--you.

Thank you!

Honesty is the best policy, tell him the truth. Tell him the NFL is a business, and the Titans offered Dexter a promotion with more pay. Tell him Dexter has a family too, including kids he needs to take care of, so he must put his family's needs and future first. Tell him a football career is a short one, and that players must play where they can make the most money while they can, so they can secure their & their family's future once their career is over. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Myself, I would go with Connie's advise. I have raised three to teenage status so far. But then, my sons have chose The Vikings and The Rams as their teams...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12