Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Elway's a fool for signing some FA's he has...

Default Elway's a fool for signing some FA's he has...

Yep, that's right. I think Elway's a fool for signing Ware and Talib in particular. I'm not alone, several pro analyst articles I've read have more or less said the same...the signings were "risky".

I don't know why some Chiefs fans are worried and think the donkey signings were so great. Below is a quote from one pro analyst:

"Ware was just released by the Dallas Cowboys Tuesday afternoon at the official start of the NFL free-agent period: the team didn't want to carry his $16 million salary cap figure for the 2014 season. Ware turns 32 before the start of the season, was hampered by quad injuries and finished with a career low six sacks in a career low 13 games."

I don't know why some think the signing of Talib was all that great, either. The quote below is from another NFL pro analyst giving thoughts on the donkey's latest signings:

"Talib is a risk, too. He's had hip injuries and also incurred some off field issues, which ran him out of Tampa Bay just a few years ago. Plus, last we saw of him he was being taken out in the playoff game by the Bronco' Wes Welker on a play Bill Belichick called one of the dirtiest he had ever seen. Clearly, Talib has forgotten, or was charmed by dollar signs, whatever."

The donkey's signed two injury prone aging players. One of which has had off field issues, too, and another coming off his worst career year ever, and they spent $87 million to sign those two "risky" players. I don't call that making "great" moves on Elway's part, rather, call it foolish.

Elway's ego has more to do with who he's signing than any other factor. He's trying to make a media splash because his ego LOVES the attention, but he's also trying to redeem himself & the franchise after their pathetic humiliating Super Bowl loss. He's really not that smart of a GM.

He's been signing aging injury prone players, including Manning, at the end of their careers chasing one Super Bowl win, that's it. He's trying to build a one year SB winning team. He's not preparing for the future, nor for a team that can compete consistently for consecutive seasons. Hey, maybe it's worth it to some, but I'd rather have a wise GM like Dorsey, who builds more through the draft, homegrown young and healthy players who can compete for years to come, and win consistently and for more than one season. I want a Dorsey & Reid dynasty, like Green Bay & the Pats built...not a one year contender.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Robert Kraft said the same thing. Then fired him a few months later. Did KISS hire him or is he still a talking head on ESPN?
    Yeah, because he wasn't a good QB, the position they signed him too. You can still like a guys character and fire him/cut him.
    Last edited by doobs_05; 03-20-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

Brdemsey has been in long enough discussions to look like he hates Eric Berry. But he clearly doesn't.
    No, I don't hate Berry. It was the circumstances in how he was drafted and and being made the highest-paid Safety ever, that I hated. Berry's a good player, but I can't rate him above guys like Greg Wesley or Lloyd Burruss, nor ignore the fact that since Berry has been drafted, he's been overpaid while Jamaal Charles has been underpaid.

And I hate to break this to people, but when Berry's rookie contract is up, he may be allowed to walk same as Albert, Asamoah, and McCluster. Alex Smith, Dontari Poe, and Justin Houston are bigger priorities and Dorsey/Reid do not strike anyone as the types that want to continue to pay Berry 10 mill a year or any Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post

Elway tormented us first as a player, now as a GM. The dude is good.
    As a player, people forget that the Chiefs caused Elway a good number of low moments, especially the game in the season final at Arrowhead in '92, when DT and company worked him over so badly, that they pulled Elway out of the game in the 4th QTR, and when did that ever happen in any other game that Elway played in?
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-20-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    No, I don't hate Berry. It was the circumstances in how he was drafted and and being made the highest-paid Safety ever, that I hated. Berry's a good player, but I can't rate him above guys like Greg Wesley or Lloyd Burruss, nor ignore the fact that since Berry has been drafted, he's been overpaid while Jamaal Charles has been underpaid.

And I hate to break this to people, but when Berry's rookie contract is up, he may be allowed to walk same as Albert, Asamoah, and McCluster. Alex Smith, Dontari Poe, and Justin Houston are bigger priorities and Dorsey/Reid do not strike anyone as the types that want to continue to pay Berry 10 mill a year or any Safety
    Yeah... I get that. That was the point. Surely you have been berated a bit over seeming anti-Eric Berry? When, in truth, it is not that you are against Berry at all. But when someone else's opinion of him is higher than yours, any discussion you have on that topic will make you look like you don't like him.

I have seen threads that make Doobs look like he is anti-Chiefs. But I just plain know better. I think you do too. Just let him get under your skin, so ya unleash on him some. (Been on both sides of those kind of exchanges myself too).

He might be a bit of an a***ole at times. I know I am. Must of us are from time to time. But I trust that, if I ever see any of you guys at a Chiefs game, we are going to get along GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yeah... I get that. That was the point. Surely you have been berated a bit over seeming anti-Eric Berry? When, in truth, it is not that you are against Berry at all. But when someone else's opinion of him is higher than yours, any discussion you have on that topic will make you look like you don't like him.

I have seen threads that make Doobs look like he is anti-Chiefs. But I just plain know better. I think you do too. Just let him get under your skin, so ya unleash on him some. (Been on both sides of those kind of exchanges myself too).

He might be a bit of an a***ole at times. I know I am. Must of us are from time to time. But I trust that, if I ever see any of you guys at a Chiefs game, we are going to get along GREAT!
    I didn't say doobs was anti-Chiefs. What was said was he defends things regarding the Donkeys that really cannot rightfully be defended like Donkeys fans in general would do -- such as them being over the salary cap in 96 through 98 which has been documented, the massive holding they were getting away with at that time ( and last year, as well as the illegal pick plays) as well as the illegal chop-blocks and leg whips, the ridiculously easy schedules they had in '97 and '98, and the horrific amount of bad calls/no calls that went in their favor that was unparalleled in NFL history & with all that tilting the playing field in their favor, a great majority are not about to honor them as outright champs for those two seasons, even though Donkeys fans think that everybody else is obligated to do such. But, that just isn't the case. The main point being, that all things being equal & on a level playing field, the Donkeys don't get to those two SB's in '97 add '98 and they don't run up those Offensive numbers that they did last year & may not have made it to the SB last year. Seattle's thrashing of the the Donkeys in SB 48 will always be known to me as the JUSTICE BOWL.

I didn't say doobs was anti-Chiefs. What was said was he defends things regarding the Donkeys that really cannot rightfully be defended like Donkeys fans in general would do -- such as them being over the salary cap in 96 through 98 which has been documented, the massive holding they were getting away with at that time ( and last year, as well as the illegal pick plays) as well as the illegal chop-blocks and leg whips, the ridiculously easy schedules they had in '97 and '98, and the horrific amount of bad calls/no calls that went in their favor that was unparalleled in NFL history & with all that tilting the playing field in their favor, a great majority are not about to honor them as outright champs for those two seasons, even though Donkeys fans think that everybody else is obligated to do such. But, that just isn't the case. The main point being, that all things being equal & on a level playing field, the Donkeys don't get to those two SB's in '97 add '98 and they don't run up those Offensive numbers that they did last year & may not have made it to the SB last year. Seattle's thrashing of the the Donkeys in SB 48 will always be known to me as the JUSTICE BOWL.

I never defended Denver being over the salary, like matthew has said, i said to get over it. It happen so many years ago. They got fined, they lost draft picks. It happen, they got caught and got punished. Now it's time to move on. I think Elway is the only person from those years who is till involved with everything (maybe the gm and owner of denver). No player that played for denver is still on the field suited up and playing for denver.

And yes, other teams have cheated or gotten away with calls. Denver got an easy schedule because 1. The schedule is determined before the season started 2. teams didn't live up to their rank from last year. It's not like the NFL said "hey, denver needs an easy schedule." and i higly doubt the NFL said "Hey, refs! Give denver all the calls, okay? Thanks"

Also where are you getting the weak schedule from?

http://home.earthlink.net/~ob1gui/nflsbar/nflrnk97.htm

seems that had a harder schedule then most? if you went by the R
    OpPct Opponents "Raw" winning percentage (Strength of Schedule

the were 7th

if you went by

Strength of victory they were 3rd

98 you have a better arguement Opct 14th (or 15th) and their strength of victory was 3rd (and only 10 teams were above .500 that year, 7 were at .500) http://home.earthlink.net/~ob1gui/nflsbar/nflrnk98.htm

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    I never defended Denver being over the salary, like matthew has said, i said to get over it. It happen so many years ago. They got fined, they lost draft picks. It happen, they got caught and got punished. Now it's time to move on. I think Elway is the only person from those years who is till involved with everything (maybe the gm and owner of denver). No player that played for denver is still on the field suited up and playing for denver.

Also where are you getting the weak schedule from?

http://home.earthlink.net/~ob1gui/nflsbar/nflrnk97.htm

seems that had a harder schedule then most? if you went by the R
    OpPct Opponents "Raw" winning percentage (Strength of Schedule

the were 7th

if you went by

Strength of victory they were 3rd

98 you have a better arguement Opct 14th (or 15th) and their strength of victory was 3rd (and only 10 teams were above .500 that year, 7 were at .500) http://home.earthlink.net/~ob1gui/nflsbar/nflrnk98.htm
    Who did they play in the opposing teams park either of those years that had made the playoffs the year before in the 1st half of those schedules in '97 and '98? NOBODY, and it allowed them to get off to fast starts, 6-0 in '97 and then 13-0 in '98 ( same as we saw last year ). And in '97, they didn't have to play in Pitt. or SF or even in KC until the 2nd half of the schedule.

And yes, other teams have cheated or gotten away with calls. Denver got an easy schedule because 1. The schedule is determined before the season started 2. teams didn't live up to their rank from last year. It's not like the NFL said "hey, denver needs an easy schedule." and i higly doubt the NFL said "Hey, refs! Give denver all the calls, okay? Thanks"
    What other teams have gotten away with the amount of bad calls/no calls that paralleled what the Donkey's did in '97 and '98? Please explain why you can't name them? BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY -- plain and simple.

And how do you know what transpired in the league office at that time? Were you there? No, you are merely guessing. I found it quite strange that in 2nd game against the Donkeys at KC that the league office handed out a 10,000 dollar fine to Safety Jerome Woods for a perfectly legit hit on Ed McCaffery that prevented McCaffery from catching a tipped pass in the end zone that if McCaffery had caught, the Donks would have won that game, but they lost. Do you know who it was specifically that handed out that fine to Woods? None other than Stanford grad, Gene Washington ( same school as Elway and McCaffery ).

As for "moving on" from it, that is your choice. But I got news for you. I don't follow your lead. That is my choice & when the same type of thing is rearing it's ugly head again with the same two culprits involved ( Elway and Bowlen ), then people like CJ and eydugstr and myself and others will be discussing the matter & we don't need your permission.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-20-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Who did they play in the opposing teams park either of those years that had made the playoffs the year before in the 1st half of those schedules in '97 and '98? NOBODY, and it allowed them to get off to fast starts, 6-0 in '97 and then 13-0 in '98 ( same as we saw last year ). And in '97, they didn't have to play in Pitt. or SF or even in KC until the 2nd half of the schedule.

What other teams have gotten away with the amount of bad calls/no calls that paralleled what the Donkey's did in '97 and '98? Please explain why you can't name them? BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY -- plain and simple.

And how do you know what transpired in the league office at that time? Were you there? No, you are merely guessing. I found it quite strange that in 2nd game against the Donkeys at KC that the league office handed out a 10,000 dollar fine to Safety Jerome Woods for a perfectly legit hit on Ed McCaffery that prevented McCaffery from catching a tipped pass in the end zone that if McCaffery had caught, the Donks would have won that game, but they lost. Do you know who it was specifically that handed out that fine to Woods? None other than Stanford grad, Gene Washington ( same school as Elway and McCaffery ).

As for "moving on" from it, that is your choice. But I got news for you. I don't follow your lead. That is my choice & when the same type of thing is rearing it's ugly head again with the same two culprits involved ( Elway and Bowlen ), then people like CJ and eydugstr and myself and others will be discussing the matter & we don't need your permission.
    I love conspiracy theories. If the game is as fixed as you say why do you bother to watch it?

I was present at KC at DEN this year and their fans griped about officiating same as any other. Every fan thinks refereeing is biased against their team. It isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    I love conspiracy theories. If the game is as fixed as you say why do you bother to watch it?

I was present at KC at DEN this year and their fans griped about officiating same as any other. Every fan thinks refereeing is biased against their team. It isn't.
    Guess what? I didn't bother to watch the SB, until after I had heard the Hawks won it in a romp.

And not every fan thinks refereeing is biased against their team & in fact, that's not even what's being discussed. It's being biased FOR a particular team that was being discussed. So you're humping the neighbors dog with that one.

Who did they play in the opposing teams park either of those years that had made the playoffs the year before in the 1st half of those schedules in '97 and '98? NOBODY, and it allowed them to get off to fast starts, 6-0 in '97 and then 13-0 in '98 ( same as we saw last year ). And in '97, they didn't have to play in Pitt. or SF or even in KC until the 2nd half of the schedule
    You play who is put infront of you, they won their games. It's like people who *****ed about KC's schedule this year. Sorry but it's not KC's fault they had an easy first 10 games schedule and its not denvers fault they had a "easy schedule"

Yeah, the chiefs have started 10-0 in the past and didn't turn out well. Starting fast or slow doesn't matter. You get to the playoffs and you're hot, you're going to go far (see NYG first super bowl win against the Pats)