Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Elway's a fool for signing some FA's he has...

Default Elway's a fool for signing some FA's he has...

Yep, that's right. I think Elway's a fool for signing Ware and Talib in particular. I'm not alone, several pro analyst articles I've read have more or less said the same...the signings were "risky".

I don't know why some Chiefs fans are worried and think the donkey signings were so great. Below is a quote from one pro analyst:

"Ware was just released by the Dallas Cowboys Tuesday afternoon at the official start of the NFL free-agent period: the team didn't want to carry his $16 million salary cap figure for the 2014 season. Ware turns 32 before the start of the season, was hampered by quad injuries and finished with a career low six sacks in a career low 13 games."

I don't know why some think the signing of Talib was all that great, either. The quote below is from another NFL pro analyst giving thoughts on the donkey's latest signings:

"Talib is a risk, too. He's had hip injuries and also incurred some off field issues, which ran him out of Tampa Bay just a few years ago. Plus, last we saw of him he was being taken out in the playoff game by the Bronco' Wes Welker on a play Bill Belichick called one of the dirtiest he had ever seen. Clearly, Talib has forgotten, or was charmed by dollar signs, whatever."

The donkey's signed two injury prone aging players. One of which has had off field issues, too, and another coming off his worst career year ever, and they spent $87 million to sign those two "risky" players. I don't call that making "great" moves on Elway's part, rather, call it foolish.

Elway's ego has more to do with who he's signing than any other factor. He's trying to make a media splash because his ego LOVES the attention, but he's also trying to redeem himself & the franchise after their pathetic humiliating Super Bowl loss. He's really not that smart of a GM.

He's been signing aging injury prone players, including Manning, at the end of their careers chasing one Super Bowl win, that's it. He's trying to build a one year SB winning team. He's not preparing for the future, nor for a team that can compete consistently for consecutive seasons. Hey, maybe it's worth it to some, but I'd rather have a wise GM like Dorsey, who builds more through the draft, homegrown young and healthy players who can compete for years to come, and win consistently and for more than one season. I want a Dorsey & Reid dynasty, like Green Bay & the Pats built...not a one year contender.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Going to cover a few different things here.

1st Eric Winston I'm not going to bring him in the same way doobs did but he is a prime example of the offseason meaning very little. Does everyone remember two years ago at this time. How excited we were when he signed in KC? I do. I was the one that kept checking twitter every couple of minutes to see if he signed then rushed on here to post the tweet. How did that work out? All these offseason moves are great right now can be a whole different story when it comes time to start playing the games again. Winston is a prime example of what I've said in that regard.

2nd the NFL did years ago start moving division matchups to later in the season. They at that time didn't think it was best when two teams were fighting for the division crown in week 17 and one team had a division rival to play and the other had a team that had nothing to play for and clearly didn't care about that game. That wasn't a move to help Denver at all. That's something that they did and I actually liked that move.

I do think right now Denver gets more calls then anyone I will say. IMO the NFL wants Manning to have his Elway run around the stadium moment to end his career. They still milk that Elway moment at times to this very day so they want anther and they are willing to lend a helping hand. But I also think there are other teams that get calls so they are not alone in that. If you have a star Qb you are going to get calls that's just how the NFL works. I wish it was different but it is what it is.
    Agreed about the Eric Winston signing. Pioli finally woke up & smelled the coffee and decided KC needed some O-line help, and drafted Allen and Stephenson as well. Unfortunately it was for a Brian Daboll helmed offense that didn't have a true backup center. We were really luck to have Lilja step in and do the job he did, as bad as that season was it could've gone worse if we hadn't drafted & signed the O-line help that year.

Do think that Mongo has a point, which also goes in hand with what you're saying about NFL "Golden boys". It's a business. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that the scheduling has to filter it's way through the marketing departments before it's all approved. People want to see the big name QB's go head to head with other big name QB's or big name Defenses, and are more willing to part with the $$'s when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Agreed about the Eric Winston signing. Pioli finally woke up & smelled the coffee and decided KC needed some O-line help, and drafted Allen and Stephenson as well. Unfortunately it was for a Brian Daboll helmed offense that didn't have a true backup center. We were really luck to have Lilja step in and do the job he did, as bad as that season was it could've gone worse if we hadn't drafted & signed the O-line help that year.

Do think that Mongo has a point, which also goes in hand with what you're saying about NFL "Golden boys". It's a business. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that the scheduling has to filter it's way through the marketing departments before it's all approved. People want to see the big name QB's go head to head with other big name QB's or big name Defenses, and are more willing to part with the $$'s when it happens.
    I'm not one to make a huge deal out of the scheduling. The only time I think it matters is in the case I stated the end of the year when you have some teams that have nothing to play for and they don't give the same effort as they would otherwise. The only thing I see marketing for the scheduling is making sure that every one of the networks gets a big game or two.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I'm not one to make a huge deal out of the scheduling. The only time I think it matters is in the case I stated the end of the year when you have some teams that have nothing to play for and they don't give the same effort as they would otherwise. The only thing I see marketing for the scheduling is making sure that every one of the networks gets a big game or two.
    They will never give the lesser teams (Jax, Cleveland, Buff, Oak, ect../teams that had losing records) a sunday or monday night, but they'll give them a thursday night game (which they should get rid of or allow teams to have a bye before the thursday night game). Also, SF will not be playing any Monday night games with the new stadium. Won't be surprised if they have 3-5 sunday night games and they're the first sunday night game.
    Last edited by doobs_05; 03-21-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    What part of me saying winston threw the fanbase under the bus is bad? Did he not?

He could of said "You have some fans cheering for an injury" but no he said "you have 70,000 people cheering" There was not 70,000 cheering, ESPN and every sports talk went on to say "KC is full of classless fans", i remember when it happen people were saying that winston was wrong to call the whole fanbase out.
    I was referring to a WHOLE LOT more than just the comments about Winston, and I suspect you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I was referring to a WHOLE LOT more than just the comments about Winston, and I suspect you know that.
    Could point it out then.

Just know i'm not like you, i don't go on a witch hunt on a rival team for what happen 17 years ago. I don't assume denver is the only team getting away with every call (like others have said, if you have a Star QB , you're going to get the calls). You live on consipracy that denver wins because the NFL wants them to win. Your evidence for getting away with calls has been 2 pictures so far and telling me to get on nfl rewind and watch denver games.

What part of me saying winston threw the fanbase under the bus is bad? Did he not?

He could of said "You have some fans cheering for an injury" but no he said "you have 70,000 people cheering" There was not 70,000 cheering, ESPN and every sports talk went on to say "KC is full of classless fans", i remember when it happen people were saying that winston was wrong to call the whole fanbase out.
    Actually Brd's post was more centered around the question of drug usage, and yeah I'm beginning to ponder that one, too.

What the hell was Eric Winston SUPPOSED to do ?!? Go into the stands, take a consensus? He's an offensive lineman who looks back, sees his (overly criticized) QB down, and hears an audience cheering. HE CALLED IT AS HE SAW IT.

As for term "Threw KC fanbase under the bus..." The first time I'd that description was courtesy of wonderful ESPN. Which, oddly enough, have a good number of ex-broncos on the payroll. How many former Chiefs work for ESPN? Very few.

Again, it's really interesting that YOU are focusing on a very negative moment in KC history, repeat the same message a Broncos supporting media pounded into our heads over and over and over at that time. Do you understand the picture you are painting of yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    Actually Brd's post was more centered around the question of drug usage, and yeah I'm beginning to ponder that one, too.

What the hell was Eric Winston SUPPOSED to do ?!? Go into the stands, take a consensus? He's an offensive lineman who looks back, sees his (overly criticized) QB down, and hears an audience cheering. HE CALLED IT AS HE SAW IT.

As for term "Threw KC fanbase under the bus..." The first time I'd that description was courtesy of wonderful ESPN. Which, oddly enough, have a good number of ex-broncos on the payroll. How many former Chiefs work for ESPN? Very few.

Again, it's really interesting that YOU are focusing on a very negative moment in KC history, repeat the same message a Broncos supporting media pounded into our heads over and over and over at that time. Do you understand the picture you are painting of yourself?
    Yeah because the head of ESPN, CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, whatever canada has for sports network all are run by bronco fans/former players.

how far does this consipracy thing go. No one on ESPN or anywhere every said winston threw the fanbase under the bus, espn and all them liked what winston did, they stood up for him. This is getting crazy if you think because some bronco players are on ESPN that they said "hey lets make winston look good (a chiefs player) but make the fan base look bad". That is ****ING INSANE to think that.

Winston did the right thing to stick up for the QB, but he went off the rails when he said "70,000". Fans were not happy that he did that.

The Winston thing He made a mistake doing the right thing. When Cassel went down there clearly were not 70,000 people cheering that he was down. And the loudest cheer came when Cassel got up. There were some that yes cheered him being hurt and he was right to call them out. I think in the heat of the moment he just made a mistake in how he phrased it. But that was 2 years ago I can's say i think of it much at all anymore
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Could point it out then.

Just know i'm not like you, i don't go on a witch hunt on a rival team for what happen 17 years ago. I don't assume denver is the only team getting away with every call (like others have said, if you have a Star QB , you're going to get the calls). You live on consipracy that denver wins because the NFL wants them to win. Your evidence for getting away with calls has been 2 pictures so far and telling me to get on nfl rewind and watch denver games.
    Witch hunt, your aching a$$. Just simply calling it like I see it. Others are also calling it the same way, like Hawks fans did in the SB. Obviously, just like a typical Donkeys fan would do, you seem to be getting all puked out about somebody telling the truth about the Donkeys. There's been more evidence pointed out to you than just 2 pictures & why do sound so fearful about actually going and watching the games via NFL Game Rewind? If you're not watching the games, then how can rightfully refute anything that's been said?

Star QB's don't always get the calls. That's a crock of BS. I can't recall Joe Montana getting the calls. Show me one example where he got the calls. Or Dan Marino. Or Jim Kelly. Or Troy Aikman. Or Steve Young. Or Brett Favre. Didn't happen.

Well people have their reasons for signing people. May be dumb or not. But they have their reasons!
    ​Happy Halloween 2021