Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fisher Will Play Left Tackle Next Season

Default Fisher Will Play Left Tackle Next Season

Just as predicted.

"Right now I'm going to move him to the left side," Reid said, according to Van Bibber. "That's where he played in college. Although Donald Stephenson played there for me, I know that he can do that too. But I think I'll start off with Eric at the left and keep Donald at the right. "
    Full Story
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

You beat me to it. Sorry, I didn't mean to start a 2nd thread, but I'll say the same thing:

'Bout f***ing time is all I got to say to that. Should have been at LT right from the get-go, as it's highly doubtful that he would have done any worse than what Albert did playing LT in 2009 and 2010.

Please don't bother with any assessments from last year, because you can't really make a fair assessment of a rookie playing out of position. After a couple of seasons of playing his natural LT position, then we can make a fair assessment.

Everybody saw the improvement Donald Stephenson made from year 1 to year 2, and there's no reason to believe that Fisher won't do the same.

Stephenson will be starting at RT, and I'm hopeful that Fisher and Stephenson will hold those positions for the next 8-10 years. Right now, they give the Chiefs two young athletic Tackles that could very well wind up being second to nobody.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-25-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Poor kid is going to struggle 2 years in a row and suddenly everyone is going to start labeling him a bust. It's not that I don't agree with the move to LT, I just disagreed with putting him at RT last season and re-signing Branden Albert. We COULD be going into year 2 of the Fisher/Stephenson OT tandem instead of HOPING everything will turn out right. Poor foresight imo.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Poor kid is going to struggle 2 years in a row and suddenly everyone is going to start labeling him a bust. It's not that I don't agree with the move to LT, I just disagreed with putting him at RT last season and re-signing Branden Albert. We COULD be going into year 2 of the Fisher/Stephenson OT tandem instead of HOPING everything will turn out right. Poor foresight imo.
    Agreed 100%.

If Fisher makes the type of improvement that we saw from Stephenson last year, he should be OK. Doubtful that Fisher will be as bad at LT as Albert was in 2009 and 2010. Albert was a revolving door both of those years.

And like yourself, I didn't like resigning Albert and making Fisher play out of position at RT in his rookie season, although Fisher did show better than what Albert did in 2009 and 2010, so that, in itself, is encouraging to me, and considering that Fisher played against a pretty good series of opponents and things could have been a lot worse than what they were.

Looking forward to seeing Fisher playing LT in 2014. Sure there's going to be some down moments from time to time, but I have to believe he'll work hard and he'll improve. I'm glad they settled the issue right now, though, and Fisher can start prepping right away to play LT.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-25-2014 at 02:02 PM.

I have mixed feelings about this.

It's not that I don't feel that Fisher can be a LT and a good one I just think they are setting him up to fail a bit.

You bring him in and move him to RT ask him to learn and adjust to that as a rookie then you want him the next season to forget everything he learned at RT and move him back to LT. Maybe I'm just overthinking this but I just don't think this is the best move right now. But I have faith in Reid that he knows what he's doing so we shall see.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

It's not that I don't feel that Fisher can be a LT and a good one I just think they are setting him up to fail a bit.

You bring him in and move him to RT ask him to learn and adjust to that as a rookie then you want him the next season to forget everything he learned at RT and move him back to LT. Maybe I'm just overthinking this but I just don't think this is the best move right now. But I have faith in Reid that he knows what he's doing so we shall see.
    At least we know that Fisher has played LT extensively before. I do know that Willie Roaf played RT in his rookie year and was OK, and then moved back to LT in his 2nd year & Jon Ogden played Guard in his 1st season and both guys flourished when they were moved back to LT. So there is hope, and hopefully the same will happen with Fisher.

I believe it is the best move, as there were times when Fisher did flash All-Pro potential.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

I'm not too worried about it. Last year he was playing a position that he never played before. Offensive tackles have to react instantly and instinctively as soon as the ball is snapped and they have to know and be comfortable with what the guard next to them and even the center is going to do.

He doesn't have that same issue of unfamiliarity moving to the left side. It's a position he has a lot of experience with. And he already knows the playbook which was also new to him last year regardless of whether he played RT or LT.

There will be an adjustment period, to be sure, but it should be a lot easier to go back to a position he knows than it was to go to a position he didn't know for the first time. He will have all of training camp and 4 preseason games to work the bugs out. He should start out the season at least​ as well as he finished last season at RT and get better as the season goes on.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Not to mention a 2nd or 3rd round pick we could have gotten for Albert Miami. I say this with full awarness that hindsight is 20/20, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Agreed 100%.

If Fisher makes the type of improvement that we saw from Stephenson last year, he should be OK. Doubtful that Fisher will be as bad at LT as Albert was in 2009 and 2010. Albert was a revolving door both of those years.

And like yourself, I didn't like resigning Albert and making Fisher play out of position at RT in his rookie season, although Fisher did show better than what Albert did in 2009 and 2010, so that, in itself, is encouraging to me, and considering that Fisher played against a pretty good series of opponents and things could have been a lot worse than what they were.

Looking forward to seeing Fisher playing LT in 2014. Sure there's going to be some down moments from time to time, but I have to believe he'll work hard and he'll improve. I'm glad they settled the issue right now, though, and Fisher can start prepping right away to play LT.
    I think Fisher will be fine. I just hope he IS going through the strengthening program that Dorsey hinted he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Not to mention a 2nd or 3rd round pick we could have gotten for Albert Miami. I say this with full awarness that hindsight is 20/20, but still...
    I thought the same. My thinking was that Miami was willing to give a 3rd rounder in 2013 or 2014, then TAKE IT. It was going to be a higher pick than the compensatory pick that they'll likely get in 2015, so what was the point in delaying the inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    I think Fisher will be fine. I just hope he IS going through the strengthening program that Dorsey hinted he needed.
    Well, one would believe that Reid's announcing that Fisher is moving to LT would indicate that Fisher is working very hard to get ready for 2014.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 03-25-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast